Tomo buys a plane...

Tomo

As the title indicates! I got myself a small aeroplane to play around with... on the road now actually as I write this, heading back home (co-pilot driving this leg). Headed down to Taree Sunday and picked it up. Also had the grand tour of Pylon's (Arthur's) hangar which is pretty impressive!! Lot's of great projects that makes you want to drool!

Stayed the night back up at Coffs Harbour at my friends place.

Anyway I'll just put up some photos... Haven't had a fly or run of it yet, hope to get to that this week sometime in-amongst all the work!

Sun reflection of the aircraft in the trailer.

554284_2208791676083_1736203604_1065457_1378997542_n.jpg

We set it up a bit in the street!

547277_2208792516104_1736203604_1065458_1527430524_n.jpg

Instrument panel

545607_2208798236247_1736203604_1065470_1280052470_n.jpg

Only put one wing on... myself sitting in it.

403560_2208794396151_1736203604_1065462_2092142317_n.jpg

The trailer

385753_2208793156120_1736203604_1065459_73667039_n.jpg

My friend posing...

579441_2208796196196_726013087_n.jpg

Enough for now.. I'll keep you all updated over the course of adventure!

• Like 10

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tomo,

Good job young fella, finally bought yourself a cute little plane like the sapphire, i'm sure you will have a heap of fun in it.

For now drive safe you and the copilot as this is the most dangerous part of your adventure.

Cheers

Alf

Good looking machine Tomo. Now please ignore my absolute ignorance and explain to me what sort of craft it is and how it differs from other aircraft. I am brand new to RA and have a LOT to learn and a million questions.

Looked at the last photo and I have absolutely no idea why you are coming back to queensland to fly your plane. Doesn't Coffs have a very nice airport, and there aren't even any F111's to annoy you there anymore.

Looks good Tomo, that wing looks fast but the stall may not be as docile as some, also with the full flying elevator I would be wary about ever letting go of the control column.

Do the wings have washout?

Good luck on your first flight.

Richard.

Well done Tomo, i'm so happy that you wound up with it. I was sorely tempted myself.

Hope the lovely young lady in the last photo lets you have a turn as well.

Kind Regards

Planey

Guest Maj Millard

That's a pretty slick plane there Tomo. Reminds me of the ultrabat. Should be quite fast and you'll probabily need to be on the rudder for takeoff and landing. Doesn't look like it has any flaps, which would be helpfull in slowing it down for landing. Nice tidy panel.................how about some engine photos when you get a chance...Where is the fuel kept, I don't see any caps on the wings..............................................................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Looked at the last photo and I have absolutely no idea why you are coming back to queensland to fly your plane. Doesn't Coffs have a very nice airport, and there aren't even any F111's to annoy you there anymore.

Coffs does indeed have a very nice airport, but it has a tower, which makes RAAus flying tricky at times.

My sister owns a house under the southern approach, F111's doing touch and go were on the agenda last time I was over there, they would have made ultralighting extremely tricky in the circuit.

Guest Maj Millard

Tomo, been looking at the airfoil on that wing. Very sharp LE = speed, reasonably fat= good lift, Wide chord= stable in pitch, and a little kick-down on the trailing edge for a bit more stability.............should be good !! Traditionally with all-moving elevators one tends to be subject to POIs (pilot induced occilations) where the pilot tends to 'chase' the pitch angle. A little bit of 'resistance' on the elevator helps avoid this tendency . Some all-moving elevators IE: Piper etc, are spring influenced to a 'neutral' position, which means that if you took your hands off the stick, a level pitch attitude would automatically result in a short time....This is sometimes also referred to as 'auto stability'....I'm only seeing one IGN switch, is this an old 'points ignition' engine ?.......................Maj...063_coffee.gif.b574a6f834090bf3f27c51bb81b045cf.gif

That's a pretty slick plane there Tomo. Reminds me of the ultrabat. Should be quite fast and you'll probabily need to be on the rudder for takeoff and landing. Doesn't look like it has any flaps, which would be helpfull in slowing it down for landing. Nice tidy panel.................how about some engine photos when you get a chance...Where is the fuel kept, I don't see any caps on the wings..............................................................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Congratulations from me, too, Tomo. I have often been tempted to have one at home for a spare :-)

Hey Maj, I knew a man with an Ultrabat years ago?...George M

Kaz

Hey Tomo,

I am very sorry I couldn't make it to Taree to meet you. I ended up having to get some unexpected reports ready for my flight to Melbourne the next day. It would have been great to meet you, I guess I will have to wait till I bring the Auster up your way.

I am glad to see you got home safe and well.

The little Solitaire looks sweet. Make sure you get some good advice on its particular handling characteristics before you fly her wont you. You may have a tendency to over control with that flying tail, but you shouldn't have any problems getting used to it.

All the best in your Solitaire adventures buddy.

Regards,

My friend posing...

579441_2208796196196_726013087_n.jpg

Enough for now.. I'll keep you all updated over the course of adventure!

Looking at the happy face on your lady friend, I wonder how long before you will be going back to your financial adviser to negoatiate an upgrade to a two seat plane to replace the Solitaire??

I cannot wait to hear how she files Tomo, congrats and thanks for putting up the extra pics... this is exactly the sort of thing I could see myself getting into one day, and its encouraging to experience it vicariously through someone such as yourself!

cheers,

adam