Tomo buys a plane...

Tomo

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No asking, no waiting , no hiring, no guessing- Well done mate- look after her and she'll look after you...002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

...and the aeroplane looks great too!!! Heh, heh....augie.gif.8d680d8e3ee1cb0d5cda5fa6ccce3b35.gif114_ban_me_please.gif.0d7635a5d304fa7bdaef6367a02d1a75.gif

Well done Tomo, take care & enjoy:thumb up:

Cheers

H

Thanks heaps everyone!! Looking forward to getting it out of the trailer properly sometime and cleaning it all up etc... 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

I'll try and answer all the questions below, hopefully it works!

What did the neighbours think?

It got quite a few looks put it that way! No one actually said anything though...

Looked at the last photo and I have absolutely no idea why you are coming back to queensland to fly your plane.

Haha, I'll just leave you in suspense on that one! poke_tongue_out.gif.5a7d1a1d57bd049bd5fb0f49bf1777a8.gif

When will we get the first flight report, Tomo??

At this rate, might not be till next week, I have to wait till I receive the new rego card before I can fly it, so hopefully that is sooner rather than later., but I'll give the engine a run either tomorrow morning or in the coming days. Working the big hours you don't have a lot of time for other things!

how about some engine photos when you get a chance...Where is the fuel kept, I don't see any caps on the wings..............................................................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Sure, I'll do what I can when I can! The fuel is in a tank behind the seat- (It's not part of the seat). It used to have wing tanks but they were just a bad idea apparently and were scrapped pretty quick.

How long does it take to Rig/Derig?

Haven't completely rigged it out yet, but only takes a couple of minutes to get it out of the trailer, and the wings just go on with pins etc... (bit like a glider in a way). Need two people for that unless you were a contortionist or something. My friend and I put the left wing and tail on in about 5-10minutes I guess.

I'm only seeing one IGN switch, is this an old 'points ignition' engine ?

Yes only single ignition

You may have a tendency to over control with that flying tail, but you shouldn't have any problems getting used to it.

No worries David, time gets away doesn't it! I'm sure we'll catch up somewhere in the near future one way or the other. I've flown a few flying elevators and have never had a problem, including the 95:10 Skyrider, which is just one big flat surface! I think flying tails are a little nicer to fly to be honest!

Looking at the happy face on your lady friend, I wonder how long before you will be going back to your financial adviser to negoatiate an upgrade to a two seat plane to replace the Solitaire??

Haha, well it would be nice to have two seats, but can only do what one can afford at the time! I'm sure I'll get up to that in the future... Or just do what I have been doing and borrow/hire the bigger planes!

• Like 1

make sure you clean the old fuel out. is it a premixer? premix destroys fuel line.

Yes indeed! Fortunately the tank has been drained so that helps that issue. I'll flush out the lines though and put a new filter on.

After work tonight, flushed out the fuel line with some fresh fuel and put fresh stuff in tank, put some new plugs in and hit the starter... fired up first go and ran very smoothly! Very happy with it! 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

I like the fact It has cylinder head temp gauge as well as ECG temps. Makes monitoring much easier.

Can't wait to see what it's like to taxi, and fly!

• Like 2

You reckon they'll let you play with it at the DDSC?

They haven't any choice! Haha... I'll be using it for transport to and fro no doubt in the future.

I would also clean the fuel bowl, a fair bit of gunk settles there. twin carbies?

Yeah done that. Single carb - probably why it runs so smooth.

DDSC, whats that Tomo .?

That little plane will be a great commuter and should be real fast even with that good old 447. Did you know you can prop swing a 447 if it has the old points ignition Tomo?

DDSC, whats that Tomo .?That little plane will be a great commuter and should be real fast even with that good old 447. Did you know you can prop swing a 447 if it has the old points ignition Tomo?

Yeah it's the gliding club, only a 20min drive so flying will take about 5min!

It's a 447 SCDI David

Sensitive in pitch Tomo. Nev

Yeah, I went and did some tail up taxiing this morning down the strip - without the wings so as not to fly, was very touchy on the rudder but it had good authority and left right brakes are good fun for turning on the spot! I videoed it so I'll see if I can upload a bit of it. About a 15kt crosswind today so makes you work the feet, but I found it pretty well did what you told it to do.

• Like 1

Thanks FT, I will most certainly do that. Haven't any insurance but most 2 strokes I've flown don't because it's to much trouble to do so.

Here's a small video of me taxiing it this morning. Need to run the sled over the strip to get rid of all the tracks! As you can see in the video the gusts were blowing me around a bit, but rudder response was surprisingly good.

Except he was smart Shafs ... he had no wings on.

Sweet sounding little 447 there Tomo. I hope she flys as well as she looks and sounds.

What speed did you get up to, it looked reasonably quick.

What airstrip was that?

Regards