Tomo buys a plane...

Tomo

Done a bit more to it this afternoon!And here is a small, dodgy video of the engine running - sorry about the quality, it was getting a bit dark and the camera didn't like it at all!

Ran it for a while, full power tied to the post I get about 6100rpm, which seems about right, will see what it gets in the air. Temps were all looking good after about 4-5min on full power. EGT's were even.

Tomo ......... put the wings back on b4 you try and fly it. That way it'll get off the ground.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a bad log there, seems a bit of a strange sequence though. I've ran this now over 30min on the ground (not in one go), at various RPM's.

Not a bad log there, seems a bit of a strange sequence though. I've ran this now over 30min on the ground (not in one go), at various RPM's.

Tomo, pray tell what the crocodile clip in there is for ?

522357_2230206891450_1844397448_n.jpg

I love it Nev ... LOL. Problem is Tomo may not know what a crystal set is ... only us old blokes used to make them as kids.

A lump of Gemanium, a "cat's whisker" and a coil, and a crystal earpiece....Them were the good old days, "steam radio" and all.....

• Like 1

Guest Maj Millard

Tomo...looks good, but a couple of comments from one whos been there, done that. Please accept the following as well intended constructive critism, ok.......................the green plastic fuel line, replace it with good quality rubber fuel line. It gets hard when old (and probabily is) then cracks, and leaks bad. Don't like the rubber primer bulbs either, never have, they have a little white check-ball in them that comes loose, and can block fuel flow. Might be ok on boats but not aeroplanes !...Instruments look good, harness looks good, prop profile is interesting. The battery needs a more positive retainer, especially due it's position on top of the fuel tank, and you need a rubber-boot on the positive terminal. Your single IGN switch needs a guard, I'll send you one. The two 13mil nuts holding your starter on...don't overtighten them as you can crack the rear casting if you do. There needs to be a little movement to the starter, not much, but a little. The green foam Unifilter aircleaner, Grrrrrrrrrr..get rid of it, and put a real K&N on...soon ! The fuel softens the green foam (especially these days) and the carb sucks it at full power...not good, a K&N won't let you down. Many people have learnt this lesson the hard way in the past. Make damn sure that muffler set-up is going to stay where it is, and not rotate down into the prop, safety cables if you need them ok. And last but not least, make sure there is rubber hose on your pulse-pump to case (max length about 11") not that green plastic rubbish !..................................Cheers Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Thanks Maj, sounds good! I'm already in the process of replacing the fuel line with 'actual' fuel line. Black rubber fuel line should be okay?

Laying in bed last night I actually thought about that switch guard, thanks for that. What would you reccomened instead of the fuel bulbs? Fit an electric pump? if so what is the max pressure output allowed? I'm assuming no more than 2psi? Roger that about the green nuts on the starter, and air filter, I was was planning on doing something about that as soon as I can. Does it need to be a calibrated filter for the 447, or can I just put on a normal K&N pod filter? (of correct size obviously)

Muffler is safety wired in place, but I'll double check all that for sure. There is rubber hose on the pulse pump 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

I love it Nev ... LOL. Problem is Tomo may not know what a crystal set is ... only us old blokes used to make them as kids.

Funny thing is I knew exactly what it is David! I even made one as a kid... well as a younger kid.. 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Funny thing is I knew exactly what it is David! I even made one as a kid... well as a younger kid.. 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Hmmm Young Thomas Scott,

Must of made it last week then did you lol.

I'm sure you will make sure the beast is in tip top shape before you go airborne in it, you young man have an old head (not as in looking) on young shoulders.

Fly safe as you do

Cheers

Alf

Also Tomo saftey wire the D shackle on your rudder attachment if the D shackle holding the tail wheel spring is the same for the cable..

• Like 1

A lump of Gemanium, a "cat's whisker" and a coil, and a crystal earpiece....Them were the good old days, "steam radio" and all.....

You also needed a capacitor and a HIGH IMPEDANCE set of headphones to make it work. I made quite a few different crystal sets ...those were the days before X-Boxes.

those were the days before X-Boxes.

Never owned any games, or devices as such. Only game I have is flight sim! And I rarely use that now-a-days. Can't stand the virtual stuff, gotta get out there and 'be' the game! 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

• Like 2

Guest Maj Millard

Yes Tomo I'd probabily put in a facet cube pump,-very low pressure should do it for one carb, I think the one on the Lightwing is only around 2.5 psi or so, I use it to prime the carb bowls prior to start, and turn it on just before takeoff and landing. Standard K&N nothing fancy should do on the filter, they last forever, and easy to clean. PM me your mailing again, I'll send a switch guard, I just sent Pud a couple.....thanks for listening, now you'll get old like me !.....................................................................Cheers Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Yes Tomo I'd probabily put in a facet cube pump,-very low pressure should do it for one carb, I think the one on the Lightwing is only around 2.5 psi or so, I use it to prime the carb bowls prior to start, and turn it on just before takeoff and landing. Standard K&N nothing fancy should do on the filter, they last forever, and easy to clean. PM me your mailing again, I'll send a switch guard, I just sent Pud a couple.....thanks for listening, now you'll get old like me !.....................................................................Cheers Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Yes Maj, I installed them on Monday morning. I'll post a photo in the Thruster section showing the installed covers.

Thanks so much.

Pud