I love casa!

Just sitting here and thinking of how much many pilots seem to enjoy ripping into poor old CASA.

I don't but - I love 'em! If they weren't around I wouldn't be able to fly at all. Regulated flying (no matter how heavily) is better than no flying at all - and I know none of you can argue with that.

• Like 3

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes you could, still fly that is, because without CASA, nobody would tell you that you couldnt.008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif The Boss, is a top bloke.(I have to say that, he flies from my airfield.)Lol. Seriously though I have never personally had a problem with them, I actually have found them very helpful.But alot have people have lost their businesses and lively hood because they have gone broke defending themselves.It seems to be Guilty until proven innocent instead of innocent until proven guilty.

Just sayin:peepwall:

• Like 2

You are stating the obvious people, but things could be a lot better. The individuals I don't particularly criticise but the set-up is wrong. USA and NZ do it much better. There is a need for new legislation that Aviation as well as being regulated is FACILITATED by the authority. If you ever get on the wrong side of the current arrangement you will find out (if you are unlucky) how devastating it can be. If you are viewed as having sinned you will have to prove your innocence. I have seen poor buggers who have beaten a charge and they just hand him another one as he walks out of court.

The rules are NOT easy to interpret. You should not have to be a lawyer to work them out.

Add that to the fact that they are offences of strict liability ( no excuse accepted) You get a fine and accrue points. It is not a good situation to earn a living in. There is not a lot of consistency. It depends who you get on the day and what his/her attitude is. If something is asserted ask them where the reference is. I have often heard wrong advice being given. Get everything in writing. It should't be that hard.. Tends to take a bit of the fun out of it doesn't it? Of course most of us think it will "never happen to me". nev

• Like 2

CASA in my recent experience is no different to any other ineffectual government body... some good people work there... some of them members of this forum... but they as an organization get 0 marks out of 100. Seems they find it nice and easy to go chasing around after the little guys... present them with glaring and obvious breaches in the airline industry and they turn a blind eye.

• Like 2

The bureaucracy of CASA is overwhelming compared to say the NZ CAA. I seems to me that it is filled with career Civil Servants whose main desire is to ensure their own self serving perpetuation.

The bureaucracy of CASA is overwhelming compared to say the NZ CAA. I seems to me that it is filled with career Civil Servants whose main desire is to ensure their own self serving perpetuation.

I agree: the NZ CAA people are friendly and helpful and display a genuine desire to improve aviation safety without the use of witchhunts, etc.

ASIC cards. What a joke. What am I going to do, hijack a Q300 & tell the pilot to fly me to Havana. Security hysteria at its worst.

I have had an asic for 3 years and have never had to produce it. What am I going to do, ram a skyscraper, that would be like a bug on a windscreen. Waste of dollars. If I flew into controlled airspace, maybe, but not for country airstrips.

I've heard the collective noun for a group of pilots is a "whinge". (ATSB guys tell me the collective noun they use for a group of RA-Aus pilots is a "crash" but that's another topic...)

Of course we couldn't fly if they didn't exist - you honestly think the public going to allow aircraft flying all over the place with no controls? We'd be shot as soon as we started the engine!

You guys have it all wrong i'm afraid... CASA rocks! Flying rocks! Any of you guys with even the slightest whinge obviously aren't spending enough time around aircraft or in the air.

Honestly - get in the pilots seat, fire it up and tell me it's really all that bad!

I have to agree with Volksy rather than Dazza.

The alternative to CASA would be the RAAF. As I understand it the RAAF owns all Oz airspace and lends it to CASA . . . or something like that.

Without guessing what RAAF's policy would be wrt Private/Recreational Aviation, it comes down to the old "Might Is Right".

I have no problems with CASA. They are just trying to implement what they are told to do. They are a regulator and they are doing that job apporpriately. I must say that I think the whining about the CASA inspections at NATFLY are unjustified etc.

CASA has recently been extremely helpful in helping me get my medical I need throughreally quickly for ATC job. I have absolutely no complaint about them at all.

• Like 1

Guest ozzie

I just heard a story of a visiting motor glider pilot at Proserpine who had his ASIC hanging around his neck, had the security dude drop into a crouch when he just waved the ASIC at him when he demanded to see it. Boy could i have some fun with that clown. Have you met him Major?

CASA are doing what they are supposed to do. If you don't like it get on to your member of parliament. It won't do any good, but it may make you feel better.

As CASA is charged with safety, they can override any MP by saying it is a safety matter. Just to make you really happy the road authorities are going down the same path, as are the powers in charge of fire brigades. We will soon be in the situation that Germany was joked about. That is if it is not officially permitted it must be illegal.

• Like 1

Guest Howard Hughes
or park a car without parking meters yes?

You can't blame them for the cost of parking, You might want to speak to your local councillor about that one! 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

I vaguely recall an Australian pilot mag editorial on this issue.

FAA in USA has something about fostering aviation in its mission statement, in addition to safety, whereas CASA's mission statement is all about safety, and nothing about fostering anything other than safety.

Safest form of aviation involves static displays or taxiing practice.

Perhaps time for an adjustment of legislation?

Happy to be corrected....

• Like 1

After reading the article of Facing up to CASA re-inspectors at Natfly with Bruce Avery in the latest Sport Pilot Mag. I ask do I as a RAA aircraft owner have to have carry my aircraft operations manual / Mainenance manual at all times especially on navs as in Bruce's case at Natfly ? I asked GA instructors and pilot shop manager today at Archerfield who were'nt aware of this practice in GA nor did I ever hear of this requirement while in GA training and as a previous 182 owner, have ensured I meet all the requirements that Bruce met prior to his Natfly trip. Thanks Bruce for the Heads Up, look forward to some clarification.

I vaguely recall an Australian pilot mag editorial on this issue.FAA in USA has something about fostering aviation in its mission statement, in addition to safety, whereas CASA's mission statement is all about safety, and nothing about fostering anything other than safety.

Safest form of aviation involves static displays or taxiing practice.

Perhaps time for an adjustment of legislation?

Happy to be corrected....

I think this is fairly close to the mark.

Of course there are CAAs & FAAs everywhere except here because we had to add the "S" word in to the acronym. While I don't have any beef with CASA it is the complete bureaucracy and over the top consultation processes that annoy me after having the experience of involvement with another CAA organisation for many years. One example is how come the RPL hasn't happened, yet it has been operating successfully in NZ, the US & UK for years. Not only that, CASAs draft conditions are totally different to others around the world. Why this obsession with security at insignificant airports as well.

An example of how authorities foster aviation is that in my role as President of the NZ Hang Gliding Association way back in 1979 I got a delegation of our more responsible members to meet with the CAA people with various proposals & the assistance provided was overwhelming. They advised us on what we had to do, got rid of their involvement by making us responsible for all things HG & we got our height restriction lifted from 300 feet to 9,500 feet in one fell swoop.

I like balanced civil aviation authorities run by pilots or ex pilots who have a level of humanity and understanding as well as firmness and a desire to see aviation thrive.

After reading the article of Facing up to CASA re-inspectors at Natfly with Bruce Avery in the latest Sport Pilot Mag. I ask do I as a RAA aircraft owner have to have carry my aircraft operations manual / Mainenance manual at all times especially on navs as in Bruce's case at Natfly ? I asked GA instructors and pilot shop manager today at Archerfield who were'nt aware of this practice in GA nor did I ever hear of this requirement while in GA training and as a previous 182 owner, have ensured I meet all the requirements that Bruce met prior to his Natfly trip. Thanks Bruce for the Heads Up, look forward to some clarification.

yes you have to carry the flight manual for your aircraft (some aircraft do not have flight manual ) when you take of on all flights i have been ramp checked 3 times because i had all the documents at wagga not a problem neil

I think that CASA is a decent organisation in kind but definitely in need of simplification and straightforwardness. One example would be of myself not being able to get a straight answer from them about more or less anything relating to training - CASA gives a different answer to what is written, which differs to people in service and the people training me... WTF?!?! Before getting into aviation I thought all that stuff was black and white straight down the line kinda stuff, much as getting a drivers licence is.

They even managed to f*** up my medical, charging me for a Grade One and issuing a conflicting certificate which apparently is a Grade Two, even though confirming being to the standard of (and being paid for as) a Grade One. Again, WTF?!?!

One solution may be to fire the living sh!t out of all the unecessary staff - check out state rail for example, with over 700 'unecessary' middle management jobs slashed in one foul swoop. Thats a lot of people to fire for apparently no ill effects. Makes you wonder what the f*** they were actually doing...

Seems to me like it almost needs a restructure from the ground up.

- boingk

EDIT: Ramp checks? Have your paperwork in order and do not contravene any restrictions your licence, destination or aircraft may impose. Just like driving a car on a public road IMO. I have one small backpack with my logbook, certificates (and copies), ASIC card, maps, pens, instruments, sunnies and headset. Throw in a Aircraft Manual and you're set.

• Like 1

as or some who claim that they did not fly to natfly because of casa being their to do ramp checks stay out either you or your plane is not fit

the blokes that have ramp checked me have been more than help full

not like the bunch off pencil pusses that are in the office when i rang about wanting the car no for carraige off flight manual i was told that i did not need to carry flight manual and not to bother them as you are only raa pilot flying ultralights

this peeeeved me no end

i did get the car no neil

An example of how authorities foster aviation is that in my role as President of the NZ Hang Gliding Association way back in 1979 I got a delegation of our more responsible members to meet with the CAA people with various proposals & the assistance provided was overwhelming. They advised us on what we had to do, got rid of their involvement by making us responsible for all things HG & we got our height restriction lifted from 300 feet to 9,500 feet in one fell swoop.

Very similar to the pattern here in other sports Kevin - that's the hand over of responsibility to the people active in the activity.

What's the situation regarding Public Liability in NZ? Here we got the legal liability along with the control, which in my opinion is still a vast improvement on having non skilled public servants making up regulations and enforcing them.