I love casa!

One solution may be to fire the living sh!t out of all the unecessary staff - check out state rail for example, with over 700 'unecessary' middle management jobs slashed in one foul swoop. Thats a lot of people to fire for apparently no ill effects. Makes you wonder what the f*** they were actually doing...

Middle management do what middle management do - long term and strategic planning, operational management, project management, general admin, purchasing, engineering etc so that the people out at the pointy end are not standing around wondering what next to do with stuff that has yet to be bought, with works teams decimated by age and inexperience while the blokes up the top futz around playing games snowing the investors, politicians, banks and rating agencies and lining their pockets before they dance off to the next gig leaving yet another pile of c**p for middle management to clean up. That is what middle management does.

EDIT: Ramp checks? Have your paperwork in order and do not contravene any restrictions your licence, destination or aircraft may impose. Just like driving a car on a public road IMO. I have one small backpack with my logbook, certificates (and copies), ASIC card, maps, pens, instruments, sunnies and headset. Throw in a Aircraft Manual and you're set.

Tick, tick tick

First (almost) item on a PA28 checklist - manuals and maintenance release on board - and before the door is closed and latched

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might be ok for a PA 28 and such. When you load a U/L you are flat out lifting 2 people and fuel Every bit of kit has to be weight justified. You build the thing with the lightest materials watching every bit to see if it can be lighter and stronger, and then have to load some ( I would argue) unnecessary and quite heavy objects, to be legal. If I tried to read some of these required publications in a drifter, it would be a waste of time, and if it went into the prop I wouldn't need any navigation or other information afterwards. Stuff that can be placed in a pocket is another matter but the weight is still a consideration and it's security in an open cockpit. Short flights .. Why carry anything? (Circuits and training area). Nev

• Like 1

Short flights .. Why carry anything? (Circuits and training area). Nev

should the shxxx happen on the front cover off 2 flight manuals is the wording to be carried on the plane at all times insurance can and will bite you if the flight manual is not in the plane neil

CASA is only ever going to get bigger and badder. Every little incident/accident the pollies throw more money their way as is the case with pretty much any department with "safety" in their title. They are charged with being the arbiter in the world of aviation.

As with all large organisations (government or otherwise) there is no shortage of red tape. They are also run by individuals at the end of the day so if you don't like the answer you're getting it's usually simplest to try someone else. I'm constantly amazed by people who keep on with someone in a large organisation they find difficult purely to boost their own ego in trying to prove them wrong. What a waste of time! Once you get to know someone reliable at CASA you'll be amazed at how easy dealing with things can be. On the other hand if you go in with the wrong attitude or aren't polite to people there's no end of pain they can cause!

As an aside i'm curious as to how many pilots pick up their "CASA Sucks" attitude from the school they learnt at? If any instructors are openly anti-CASA (more than the usual whinge about red tape and bureaucracy anyway) i'd be quite concerned personally.

I still think CASA rocks though. It's all better than not flying at all or we all would have given up by now!

Very similar to the pattern here in other sports Kevin - that's the hand over of responsibility to the people active in the activity.

What's the situation regarding Public Liability in NZ? Here we got the legal liability along with the control, which in my opinion is still a vast improvement on having non skilled public servants making up regulations and enforcing them.

I am way out of date now but NZ has a national insurance scheme paid for by businesses etc called ACC (Accident Compensation Commission) & the right to sue has been removed. Clubs & non profit organisations are exempt from the levy. Basically you don't need 3rd party insurance. Instead of paying a separate CTP when you register your car part of the rego fee is the ACC levy. I have heard though that ACC was deeply in the red & there was an overhaul of the system underway. Sporting injuries were costing ACC Megabucks. It seems a lot of people were career ACC abusers.

Whether it's better than not flying at all is NOT the point Volksy. I wish I could say lots of nice things, but I have had a lot to do with them over the years and I have no reason to believe things are anywhere near good enough, yet. I will be one of the first to acknowledge any improvement, and we should all work towards it. That's why I pay to belong to AOPA. Nev

• Like 1

Guest Howard Hughes

On a side note, a message from my wife for dealing with Government departments:

"never complain to the Government, because if you do, your reply will be written by the person you complained about"...

When you load a U/L you are flat out lifting 2 people and fuel Every bit of kit has to be weight justified. You build the thing with the lightest materials watching every bit to see if it can be lighter and stronger, and then have to load some ( I would argue) unnecessary and quite heavy objects, to be legal. Nev

I understand what you're getting at, but if you're really concerned about the weight a flight manual (need be no more than a few half-A4 sheets bound together with zipties and clear plastic front/back... 100g?) will have on your craft then you are really flying on the edge.

I think the realistic option for most people is simply getting in better shape - and, no, I'm not having a go. Many people carry more bodyweight than they need to. I am a young guy, reasonably fit with stats of 6'2" and 90kg. I could stand to lose 3 - 5kg at most. Others will differ, but I would reason that most everyone reading this could probably lose a kilo or two in the quest for "better flight performance".

This kind of talk is common amongst motorcycle riders, who will often spruik the latest performance enhancing whatevers as giving more power and being lighter than the items they replace. In reality, most realise that *they* are the limiting factor in the partnership.

Cheers - boingk

I am not sure what you mean by a maintenance manual. I don't think it is a document you would carry in a plane unless you were capable of conducting maintenance.

GA aircraft heve to have a current maintenance release on board. I think it is usually considered bad practice to carry the maintenance record document in the plane, as it could be damaged in an accident and all records lost. It is used to check up on what maintenance has been done in the event of a crash, as well as a general record which is required by law.

Guest nunans
Just sitting here and thinking of how much many pilots seem to enjoy ripping into poor old CASA.I don't but - I love 'em! If they weren't around I wouldn't be able to fly at all. Regulated flying (no matter how heavily) is better than no flying at all - and I know none of you can argue with that.

What kind of flying are you enjoying at the moment? If the plane you enjoy flying in has rego that starts with a number then you are flying on an exemption from casa's fury and as such don't have to deal with casa at all. That's probably why you love them so much! you've never had anything to do with them and unless you have an ARN they don't even know you exist.

We are lucky that the AUF and now RAA provide somewhat of a buffer between the members and CASA so we can enjoy the flying and not have to worry about the red tape.

I'm not sure i agree with your comment "If they weren't around (we) wouldn't be able to fly at all". Sure we wouldn't have a legal, politically correct way to fly But remember, planes were flying in Australia long before CASA existed and for that matter Ron wheeler was flying his Victor powered tweetie hang glider (scout) before the 95.10 exemption came about.

In my eyes those lucky people who built thier ultralight and taught themselves to fly in it were living the dream.

I like optimistic people that appreciate what they've got, onya 68Volksy! 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

As for flight manual, what happens if your RA plane doesn't exist with one!? 044_black_eye.gif.3f644b2ef49762a47134d3ce9ca82e5d.gif At least it will save terrorist attacks, 'cause they won't be able to read the manual to know how to get off the ground! poke_tongue_out.gif.5a7d1a1d57bd049bd5fb0f49bf1777a8.gif

From memory all you need in a GA plane is the valid MR (which is your rego sticker effectively) and a POH - it's so when you're bored at 9500ft on flight following with auto pilot set you have something to do, like read how to operate the aircraft. 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

For a GA plane you have to have a Certificate of Airworthiness. You will then get a Registration Mark, which has to be displayed in the same way as RAAus rego numbers. There is no registration label as for RAAus planes or road vehicles.

The maintenance release is a record of all required maintenance for a year and a record of maintenance as it occurs, plus daily inspection certification.

It would be better in my opinion if we used a similar maintenance release for our RAAus aircraft, it would be easier to handle than the current RAAus document, which I still don't understand even after reading the Tech Managers explanatory article on it.

If anyone knows exactly what is required in filling out our maintenance log I would love an explanation.

On a side note, a message from my wife for dealing with Government departments:"never complain to the Government, because if you do, your reply will be written by the person you complained about"...

So true, HH. I wish I had known this three years ago. Could have saved enormous stress and financial pain.

Guest Howard Hughes
and a POH - it's so when you're bored at 9500ft on flight following with auto pilot set you have something to do, like read how to operate the aircraft.

Don't laugh Tomo, it comes in handy when you've just had a 'what's it doing now' moment...ah_oh.gif.cb6948bbe4a506008010cb63d6bb3c47.gif

Guest Howard Hughes
To many buttons in those big planes HH, time to downgrade!

Hadn't flown for about a month from the left seat (aka not touched controls), so it was very hard work on the 9 minute Bathurst to Orange sector yesterday...blink.gif.7ee21b69ed31ab2b1903acc52ec4cc3f.gif

Sometimes simple is better!012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

What kind of flying are you enjoying at the moment? If the plane you enjoy flying in has rego that starts with a number then you are flying on an exemption from casa's fury and as such don't have to deal with casa at all. That's probably why you love them so much! you've never had anything to do with them and unless you have an ARN they don't even know you exist... snip....

I think you might be kidding yourself if you think CASA doesn't know you exist if you fly on a certificate. The current and recent management seems to have some pretty solid connections and I have little doubt the two- way flow of information is huge. I also don't doubt they have an ear on this forum, too.

Kaz

Guest Howard Hughes
Yeah, you arrivve at the destination airport about five minutes after the plane does. ( So I'm told) Nev

I'll let you now when I get there...022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Short flights .. Why carry anything? (Circuits and training area). Nevshould the shxxx happen on the front cover off 2 flight manuals is the wording to be carried on the plane at all times insurance can and will bite you if the flight manual is not in the plane neil

CAR 139 Documents to be carried in Australian aircraft (1) Subject to subregulation (2), the pilot in command of an aircraft, when

flying, must carry on the aircraft:

(a) its certificate of registration;

(b) its certificate of airworthiness;

© unless CASA otherwise approves, its maintenance release and any other document approved for use as an alternative to the maintenance release for the purposes of a provision of these Regulations;

(d) unless CASA otherwise approves, the licences and medical certificates of the operating crew ;

(e) the flight manual (if any) for the aircraft ;

(f) any licence in force with respect to the radio equipment in the aircraft;

(g) if the aircraft is carrying passengers—a list of the names, places of embarkation and places of destination of the passengers;

(h) if the aircraft is carrying cargo—the bills of lading and manifests with respect to the cargo.

Penalty: 10 penalty units.

(2) An aircraft operating wholly within Australian Territory is not required, when flying, to carry a document specified in paragraph (1) (a), (b), (f) or (g).

AIP ENR 1.10

5. CARRIAGE OF FLIGHT DOCUMENTATION

5.1 Pilots are required to carry, and have readily accessible in the aircraft,

the latest editions of the aeronautical maps, charts and other

aeronautical information and instructions, published:

a. in AIP, or

b. by an organisation approved by CASA,

that are applicable to the route to be flown, and any alternative

route that may be flown, on that flight (CAR 233).

AIP Gen 0.1

9. RELEVANT DOCUMENTS AND CHARTS

9.1 To ensure compliance with CAR 233.(1)(h), a pilot in command

must have access during flight to appropriate documents and

charts selected from the following:

a. VFR: ERC, WAC, VNC, VTC and ERSA for the route being

flown.

b. IFR: ERC, IAL charts and ERSA for the route being flown,

and also for the departure, destination and alternate airfields to

be used. In addition, where visual navigation is required, the

pilot in command must have access to appropriate WAC, VNC

or VTC.