I love casa!

I think you might be kidding yourself if you think CASA doesn't know you exist if you fly on a certificate. The current and recent management seems to have some pretty solid connections and I have little doubt the two- way flow of information is huge. I also don't doubt they have an ear on this forum, too.Kaz

True. Not a problem if the person have a history of doing the right thing.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just for clarity, on the short trips thing. The law requires all the items listed by Kaz. I suggest a proper examination/revision of the NEED and practical utility of some of this is called for, particularly for local trips and in open cockpit aircraft. Anything you can't strap to your Kneepad is useless. Stuff can fly into the prop of a pusher aircraft. the ERSA is a bulky document as an example. Too big to use and fly at the same time. I use extensive notes on radio frequencies and procedures at aerodromes alongside the flight plan and fold it over or slip it underneath a clip when it's no longer needed. Just have a system that works. People who write that stuff wouldn't have a clue what you have to do in your plane Even carrying a pen that is not secured is a hazard. Nev

• Like 1

.... I suggest a proper examination/revision of the NEED and practical utility of some of this is called for, particularly for local trips and in open cockpit aircraft....

That was done early last year with the draft reg 91 - not much to carry on flights of less than 50 nm. I responded to CASA's NPRM on the "practical utility" aspects of the draft which reads:

(i) all of the necessary current aeronautical maps, charts and other aeronautical information, that is published in accordance with subregulation (5) and is applicable to the route of the flight and any probable diversionary route; and(ii) an aviation weather forecast applicable to the route of the flight and any probable diversionary route.

eg who decides what is necessary? My guess is that those draft regs will be rewritten after all the negative responses (AOPA had a lot to say about it) and perhaps there will be another opportunity to submit comments to CASA. Or maybe not - their plan was to go to final draft next with a Notice of Final Rule Making.

No tongue in my cheek... Perspective perhaps though - after many years of working with local Councils and the ATO I just have to say that CASA is a bloody well-run organisation that leaves these two for dead!