Aeroplane or airplane?

I have noticed lately that the noun (UK, Aust, NZ, SA) "Aeroplane" is more and more being replaced with the noun (US) "Airplane". I wonder if this has anything to do with the influence of US TV or US aircraft or parts suppliers & US publications.

The term Aeroplane was initially coined by the French in 1855 with an accent on the first "e" and was derived from the Greek "Aeroplanos" meaning "wandering in air". The english version dispensed with the accent to become the word Aeroplane we all know.

Of course the prefix Aero is the first syllable many other nouns such as as Aerodrome, Aeroclub, Aerobatic, Aeronautic, Aerodynamic etc.

I noticed a video posted at http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/aerodrome-aircraft-promo.40315/ entitled "Airdrome Aeroplanes promotional video". Crikey now we are really getting mixed up.

Personally I don't like the US spelling Airplane like many other different US spellings. What next Airnautics, Airclubs, Airbatics, Airdynamics. We have already seen Airdrome. Whoever comes up with these would probably be an Airhead anyway.

I also like to think of my aeroplane as "wandering in air". Great way to see the country.

I guess it is just a matter of choice and there are a large percentage of people who can't spell anyway. What do others think? Maybe I should have posted this as a poll.

• Like 6

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Maj Millard

Hairy-plane for Tomo !.................................................................Maj...008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif 063_coffee.gif.b574a6f834090bf3f27c51bb81b045cf.gif

I always, being a semi-illiterate bum, agonise over how I'm going to spell that word describing the machine I fly, with the result usually being "Airplane". From now on I'm going to spell it "Aeroplane", so don't come up with an argument why I should write"Airplane". By the way - I tend to use the term "Airfield" rather than any other term.

Pud

I always, being a semi-illiterate bum, agonise over how I'm going to spell that word describing the machine I fly, with the result usually being "Airplane". From now on I'm going to spell it "Aeroplane", so don't come up with an argument why I should write"Airplane". By the way - I tend to use the term "Airfield" rather than any other term.Pud

Provided you don't start entering '.hores' in in your logbook rather than 'hours', the quality of your flying shouldn't be affected by your spelling. Alternatively, get it wrong and Mrs Pud will most likely ensure that you suffer for the incorrect use of something. 067_bash.gif.26fb8516c20ce4d7842b820ac15914cf.gif

it's aerogare in france. (Not sure of the spelling) I usually land on the aerodrome Airport has crept in but I might arrive at the airport to meet someone, but I don't want to land on it. Nev

I agree with you. Personally, I like the old fashioned sound of `aeroplane', but unfortunately `airplane' seems to be creeping into our vocabulary. I spend quite a bit of time on some of the US builder forums (or should that be fora?), and it's interesting to note that they actually refer to `aircraft' more than `airplane', which sounds fine to me. However, their media is sold on `airplane' so I suppose our young journalists, with their increasingly limited exposure to English grammar and literature at school, will follow suit. They already seem to have enough trouble with their spelling, so no doubt the subtle difference between `airplane' and `aeroplane' will defeat them entirely. Besides with their default US English spell-checkers, what chance have they got?

rgmwa

I have noticed lately that the noun (UK, Aust, NZ, SA) "Aeroplane" is more and more being replaced with the noun (US) "Airplane". I wonder if this has anything to do with the influence of US TV or US aircraft or parts suppliers & US publications.The term Aeroplane was initially coined by the French in 1855 with an accent on the first "e" and was derived from the Greek "Aeroplanos" meaning "wandering in air". The english version dispensed with the accent to become the word Aeroplane we all know.

Of course the prefix Aero is the first syllable many other nouns such as as Aerodrome, Aeroclub, Aerobatic, Aeronautic, Aerodynamic etc.

I noticed a video posted at http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/aerodrome-aircraft-promo.40315/ entitled "Airdrome Aeroplanes promotional video". Crikey now we are really getting mixed up.

Personally I don't like the US spelling Airplane like many other different US spellings. What next Airnautics, Airclubs, Airbatics, Airdynamics. We have already seen Airdrome. Whoever comes up with these would probably be an Airhead anyway.

I also like to think of my aeroplane as "wandering in air". Great way to see the country.

I guess it is just a matter of choice and there are a large percentage of people who can't spell anyway. What do others think? Maybe I should have posted this as a poll.

I agree, kg, and it probably stems from the US trait to remove as many syllables as possible, yet they like to use superfluous words as well. This is why Americans refer to an "ongoing emergency situation" where the single word "emergency" would seem to suffice.

You have no doubt also noticed that we have started to follow the US in doing away with ordinal numbers when referring to dates, which clearly makes no sense, so we now have things like films starting at the cinema on "July 12" instead of July the 12th. There is no such thing as the 12 of July - it is the 12th day as it has followed on in order from the 11th, etc etc. My English teacher would turn in his grave. Mind you, he would not be "dead" these days as we seem now to have to use euphemisms, so he would have "passed away". Monty Python's parrot sketch has come to life!

Cheers

Neil

• Like 1

?..The term Aeroplane was initially coined by the French in 1855 with an accent on the first "e" and was derived from the Greek "Aeroplanos" meaning "wandering in air". The english version dispensed with the accent to become the word Aeroplane we all know.

Hi KGW

It is lovely to hear the analysis of a true etymologist while unravelling the origins of such an important word :-)

I also don't like "plane" which is correctly the name of one of generally two wings on an aeroplane. I am happy to use "aircraft" as an alternative just so people don't think I'm a total pedant!

KWG aka kaz

Guest Howard Hughes

I think it perfectly acceptable to use either/or, regardless of what the English pedants say...poke_tongue_out.gif.5a7d1a1d57bd049bd5fb0f49bf1777a8.gif

I don't mind people using 'plane' either!

I spend quite a bit of time on some of the US builder forums (or should that be fora?), and it's interesting to note that they actually refer to `aircraft' more than `airplane', which sounds fine to me.

I notice that they often refer to the 'air'-plane as a "ship".

. However, their media is sold on `airplane' so I suppose our young journalists, with their increasingly limited exposure to English grammar and literature at school, will follow suit. They already seem to have enough trouble with their spelling, so no doubt the subtle difference between `airplane' and `aeroplane' will defeat them entirely. Besides with their default US English spell-checkers, what chance have they got?rgmwa

Bill Gates and his mates have a lot to answer for. If left in default, many words ending in -ise turn into ize. As far as I am concerned, the -ise have it!

I always, being a semi-illiterate bum, agonise over how I'm going to spell that word describing the machine I fly, with the result usually being "Airplane". From now on I'm going to spell it "Aeroplane", so don't come up with an argument why I should write"Airplane". By the way - I tend to use the term "Airfield" rather than any other term.Pud

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. Along with f_t, it's AEROplane jelly for me.