Spinning in the clouds

Ultralights

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest turk182
Wow. Spin recovery from 300 ft. Great stuff!!!

Yes Motz, it was incipient(wing 90 deg to the ground and starting to turn) and yeh I'm feeling good about it, I told you about this event in chat about a week after it happened, the point is I wasn't playing around with spins in unapproved aircraft but I had one handed to me regardless, shortly after getting my GFPT I went and did some spinning to find out what it was about and that saved my life , every pilot should do the training

I have been pushing this idea for at least 4-5 years. ( I'm not the only one). Yes it costs, but it may easily save your (and your passenger's) life. Smaller aircraft are much more likely to require these skills at some stage than things like C-172's. Once you have done it you realise that with a 3 axis craft, being in an unusual attitude even near the deck, doesn't have to be the end of you. Nev

• Like 2

Yea I remember MM. Your story is a perfect example of why stall/ spin training is important. It's not because your likely to stall at 3500 feet, it's beCause s#%t happens, and this sort of thing is much more likely when low to the ground.

• Like 1

The "classic" stall and recovery is just the beginning of what should be taught. Try stalling from a 45 degree banked turn and recover using power. Min height loss . More likely to be the situation in real life. You don't have to lose altitude (to any extent). Nev

Yes Motz, it was incipient(wing 90 deg to the ground and starting to turn) and yeh I'm feeling good about it, I told you about this event in chat about a week after it happened, the point is I wasn't playing around with spins in unapproved aircraft but I had one handed to me regardless, shortly after getting my GFPT I went and did some spinning to find out what it was about and that saved my life , every pilot should do the training

What recovery technique did you use in that instance.?

Alan.

It was a process that took seconds but felt slower, as the aircraft flicked on it's side I was countering with aileron, not really getting what was happening immediatly , the ailerons hit the stops and the aircraft continued to roll, I remember thinking " this is it , I'm done" , the nose started to fall through towards the ground and I realized what was happening, I did a standard recovery ( although I can't remember if I centralized the ailerons) full opposite rudder ,yoke forward, recover from the dive, as I said this happened in seconds and I had a loss of about 250 ft, I flew the rest of final at around 50 agl. I did have the thought as the rudder stopped the yaw that the aircraft was shuddering in a normal stall , the thing is that pushing the yoke/ stick towards the ground goes against our sense of preservation, but it is also the only thing that will get the wings working again.The above is NOT a how to but it is what I did after a couple of lessons in spin recovery, as I've said our aircraft don't know that we're not allowed to do spins , I did a check ride in a savannah recently and it had a fairly big wing drop in every S and L stall we did, if let it go I reckon it would've spun ,that was from a standard training type of stall, with an unbalance turn onto final I would say the bugger would flick into a spin pretty readily.

I've since done an aerobatic endorsement with unusual attitude recovery training, getting a RAA cert,GFPT ,a cross country endo, a PPL is only a license to start learning and I would have to say doing the adrenaline stuff has made me a far more confident pilot.

As for the utube stuff causing d1ckheads to do stupid things I reckon they'll do it anyway , pilots have died doing dumb stuff since the beginning ,and will continue to die regardless of training ,peer pressure ,legislation , it's just how people!

Thanks for the response, very helpfull indeed.

Alan.

No, it was me, Sally, yes it was an Alpha 160.

Sorry for the delay in replying Sally and also getting the PIC wrong, however, I loved the video.......how cool were you! I think to have this knowledge is priceless.

Many moons ago I used to teach skid-control techniques on a skid pan in the UK. A lot of what I learned was from the Metropolitan Poilce Driver Training School at Hendon. With the knowledge that I learned, it got me out of a few unexpected situations which could have turned rather ugly without it, driving on snow-covered and wet roads. It didn't mean that I was going to drive like a hoon with that knowledge, as I was always tought that good driving should be considered an art. Safe flying in my books would have to be the same. Didn't see you at Red Baron on Saturday, only saw the Pitts doing circuits.

Good luck with your additional training and thanks for posting.

Kind Regards

Alan

• Like 1

I've enjoyed reading this thread and hope that Sally continues to post. I like her clear and confident descriptions of her own experiences, and I also appreciate Nev's reservations about the wisdom of posting descriptions that could be construed as lessons by a reckless few. However, we can all learn from the experiences of others, and there is plenty of informed commentary here to balance the discussion from the likes of Motz, djpacro and others. Just reading about some particular technique is not going to tempt me to try spinning the 172 next weekend to see if I can recover successfully.

Good for you Sally.

rgmwa