Norfolk Island Savannah S

Hadyn Bell

To arrest the thread drift, have a look at this, JG had the same problemhttp://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/broken-sf281-sf282.10736/

I think it happens when the bungees return the leg to it's uncompressed position when the tubes welded onto the leg slam into the bracket, talk to the guru, but I think a thicker plate on the top of the leg needs to be machined with a recess for the top of the leg to give more clearence at the bracket, if this is occuring.

Thanks for the info. Makes it all clear now.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A rewarding weekend of work with the undercarriage plates presented and bolted into place with surprisingly little difficulty, didn't have to "prodge" the holes too much. As these items do fit under a little tension it is understandable that they are fitted before setting the cabin frame position.

I trust your project is still moving forward, Hadyn? Have fun.

I trust your project is still moving forward, Hadyn? Have fun.

Just knocking off work and heading to the build shed for another session... Making a list of some missing parts and instruments. Yes the build is going extremely well and im enjoying every moment of it. I need to upload some current photo's for those who are interested. We have started to paint the control surfaces and fitting up the fusilage. Thanks for asking.... We are also in the process of presenting all the paper work to the to the RAA for our on island A.M.E to get his L4 for when we have finished the build. I'm sure I wouldn't have any problem getting an L4 over to Norfolk for a bit of a free holiday to do the job!!

• Like 1

Just an update with some pics of where we are at....Still need to fit up the fuel tanks in the wings before they get painted. Other items are now painted and we are in the middle of priming up the other parts.

Yes Mark you are correct that the visual progress starts slowing down at this stage but its nice to get some of those smaller jobs completed. The cabin frame fitted up really well, very happy with the measurements.

Elevator push rod to "adjust" away from the tunnel, one just needs to hunt through the forum to find such consistent problems with other builds, also chat with Mark....

1990297764_SavBuild002.jpg.c0a01ab5ba44baf8fa1307cbfabe0e8e.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Hadyn

I see you mounted your regulator with the fins horizontal. The recommend way I was told was to mount it so the fins are vertical it makes access to the main plug you wire easier and shorter also the solenoid is a better fit for the battery cable if you turn it 180 deg also this puts the spade terminals that the wiring goes to at the front makes it easier to attach the spades onto otherwise it is difficult to get to them if they are behind the solenoid. These are only suggestions of course . This is the way I did mine from advice from other builders and on some that I had seen and it worked well

Good progress too

Mark

Hank refresh your page and look at post #82. the photos loaded OK for me. Mark even commented on them above.

Thanks, the photos on #82 showed up after the reloading the page.

[ATTACH]19439[/ATTACH][ATTACH]19441[/ATTACH][ATTACH]19442[/ATTACH][ATTACH]19443[/ATTACH][ATTACH]19444[/ATTACH]

Great to see the progress Hadyn!

Hadyn

All appears to be going nicely.

Would like some advice if you could please. Where the two forward members of the cabin frame enter the front fuselage and then bolt to the firewall/engine mount there appears to be two pieces used to cover in the opening. I have the rear piece, what covers the front of the hole? A part # would be great. I cannot find any reference to this in the manual.

Thanks,

Bob

HadynAll appears to be going nicely.

Would like some advice if you could please. Where the two forward members of the cabin frame enter the front fuselage and then bolt to the firewall/engine mount there appears to be two pieces used to cover in the opening. I have the rear piece, what covers the front of the hole? A part # would be great. I cannot find any reference to this in the manual.

Thanks,

Bob

Hi Bob,

There is only one piece supplied to cover the hole and as Mark said it didn't fit too well. I needed to modify it a little and then i made up a piece to fit over the front opening, probably shouldn't have as that is where the base of the screen sits but im sure i can deal with that, . As Mark also pointed out the carpet covers the hole.

Hi Bob,There is only one piece supplied to cover the hole and as Mark said it didn't fit too well. I needed to modify it a little and then i made up a piece to fit over the front opening, probably shouldn't have as that is where the base of the screen sits but im sure i can deal with that, . As Mark also pointed out the carpet covers the hole.

A weight saving, perhaps, by not using it? I understand then, it's not structural in any way?

Thanks Hadyn and Mark,

Had the piece in Marks pic sorted but as mentioned the fit-up is not the greatest, but was concerned that the front of the opening may not be covered completely by the screen and was actually starting to design a piece to cover the front as you have done Hadyn. Great minds must think alike.

Bob

• 2 months later...
Merry Christmas Haydn- worlds biggest and best present is coming along nicely.

Gliding taught me feel & judgement.

Hang Gliding, the air in micro,

GA taught me discipline,

Skydiving- time management

and Recreational that it should be all of this.. and fun. <------ I like it!

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

Just to keep everyone up to speed, yes we have been working on our Sav even though our time working on her is a little less than we would like. Anyway we are happy with the progress and now that the fuselage is painted we can move on with a large list of things to do...

932861138_SavannahFuz003.jpg.be4629ad76767cc8fbd4d477849fedf2.jpg

• Like 1

Hang something heavy on the front before you fit the tail feather or it might tip up and bend something.

I have the perfect heavy item in a box to hang on the front, i think the box has Rotax written on it..... One of the items on the list.

Hi All,Just to keep everyone up to speed, yes we have been working on our Sav even though our time working on her is a little less than we would like. Anyway we are happy with the progress and now that the fuselage is painted we can move on with a large list of things to do...

[ATTACH]21490[/ATTACH]

After a few months' break, it's nice to hear from you again Hadyn! The paint job looks lovely.

{how many kg did that add to the project weight though?}