Norfolk Island Savannah S

Hadyn Bell

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GDay Haydn. Great to hear from you and the schemes a standout. Keep in touch with us....

Sounds like your keen for a trip to Norfolk. Buy the time we are ready I will be up for another BFR along with the other guys here. I think we should still be getting someone over for the test flight, any hands up??080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Sounds like your keen for a trip to Norfolk. Buy the time we are ready I will be up for another BFR along with the other guys here. I think we should still be getting someone over for the test flight, any hands up??080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

I wasn't fishing but yes the offer remains open, take your time and I'm glad to help wherever I can. I would be putting your new girl under close scrutiny prior to any test flight- a detached viewpoint is always worthwhile. All the more important following the tragedy at Lismore two weeks ago.

Wishing you well as the " Norfolk Flyer" comes to life.

• 2 months later...

Even in Norfolk Island, the days are getting shorter and the nights longer and the air is cooler (and, possibly, aircraft building motivation may be lacking). It's been nine weeks since we last heard an update.

But I am sure that, in your case, there's still progress.

Even in Norfolk Island, the days are getting shorter and the nights longer and the air is cooler (and, possibly, aircraft building motivation may be lacking). It's been nine weeks since we last heard an update.But I am sure that, in your case, there's still progress.

Yes it has been too long since the last update. Our Norfolk Savannah is progressing well. All the painting is now complete, carpet in, engine in, wiring harness in, oil and cooling system sorted and plumbed, screen and cowl all fitted up well. Just continuing with all lose many little finishing off jobs. One of our current issues is organising the fuel as we only have 91 unleaded mogas here on island. I didn't realise how difficult this would be. Its looking like we will pay more to get 95-98 unleaded on island than avgas.

Yes it has been too long since the last update. Our Norfolk Savannah is progressing well. All the painting is now complete, carpet in, engine in, wiring harness in, oil and cooling system sorted and plumbed, screen and cowl all fitted up well. Just continuing with all lose many little finishing off jobs. One of our current issues is organising the fuel as we only have 91 unleaded mogas here on island. I didn't realise how difficult this would be. Its looking like we will pay more to get 95-98 unleaded on island than avgas.

I wonder if you could simply use 91 Unleaded and then pour in an octance booster to bring it up to 95? Bringing in an octane booster should work out cheaper, I'd think.

I wonder if you could simply use 91 Unleaded and then pour in an octance booster to bring it up to 95? Bringing in an octane booster should work out cheaper, I'd think.

My understandinding from my time in the auto industry is that 95 RON is actually a higher level distilled product in the refinery process and it has not had active performance agents added in the same way as some of the 98 RON brands. We use 98 Caltex and have no problems but the 95 is a not a blended fuel as such. Some off the volumatics and additives in the 98 blended fuels can " go off" in some conditions and lose their effective octance performance as a result. I personally would look very carefully and get further technical advice before running a 100UL/S on any modified 91 RON fuels for prolonged periods.

My understandinding from my time in the auto industry is that 95 RON is actually a higher level distilled product in the refinery process and it has not had active performance agents added in the same way as some of the 98 RON brands. We use 98 Caltex and have no problems but the 95 is a not a blended fuel as such. Some off the volumatics and additives in the 98 blended fuels can " go off" in some conditions and lose their effective octance performance as a result. I personally would look very carefully and get further technical advice before running a 100UL/S on any modified 91 RON fuels for prolonged periods.

Thanks for the info. Yes we are looking very carefully into this. From some of the info that we have found, its suggesting that 95 Ron is more the blended ethanol fuel and 98 RON was the way to go. Its just hard to understand why the 98 RON is more expensive to buy than avgas from the bulk fuel suppliers. Adding octane booster is going to be too expensive.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Sorry for the lack of communication and updates on our Norfolk Island Sav S build. Getting there slowly....... Still a hand full of jobs to do and a bit of painting to finish off but most important thing of all......still enjoying every moment of the build1920745878_SavMay2014005.jpg.1a96a7874f562eae41a1a1cb09dc2ad7.jpg .

178275704_SavMay2014006.jpg.949ad7dcff347cb1d92105d1d18fab71.jpg

1886014119_SavMay2014003.jpg.248e7b9f3ffde3e98a80aa535f53e58c.jpg

1052558527_SavMay2014004.jpg.555df59df1c226fb7e90bb2bccb3c7ce.jpg

• Like 2

Looks good hadyn good to see she has made it to the hangar. It will be interesting to see how those solid rods goMark

Thanks mark. Very happy with the throttle rods so far. I have read your concerns on this topic, if we are not happy it is very easy to change again. FYI the 767 actuator rods we used are exactly as they have come off with no length adjustment required, like it was ment to be....

• Haha 1

I am told there is a guy with solid rods done up at Greenfields near Noosa but it is on a older bed mount savannah VG and the motors rock around a fair bit on those mounts. The current frame and ring mount has a lot less movement

Hi Mark,Would appreciate the info when you get it, thanks.

Looks as though you have had some nice wx of late so I hope you have had a few more flights and starting to get the hours up, and no more teething problems.

We spoke about the 72" prop and by the time I got in touch Tom the 68" prop was under way and we now have it here. Anyway we have plenty of strip here and we will be using the std tires supplied with the kit initially. We are only allowed to use the seal over here even though there is plenty of grass.

get 100 mile an hour tape and go around and around and around an a ar to hell with that go and hav a beer instead

• 1 month later...

I've been play with the idea of getting the Savannah kit and have just recently been up visiting Reg-Aerokits and Reg taking me for a fly in his Savannah. Also caught up with Rankamateur and Steve being kind enough in showing me his progress at work, the Savannah S and some of the in's and outs with the project.

I am been a little worry about this project being too big and beyond me as I have never attemped something like this before and will sleep on it some more but have enjoyed following this build and admittedly it dose get me quite excited and the satisfaction of seeing your pride&joy taking shape I can only imagine at this stage.

Cheers Guy.

Guy, you just have to accept, as Derek Liston says, "life gets in the way" sometimes. When life leaves you alone for a while you will make some real pregress. Main thing is don't beat yourself up when things get busy and progress slows down. You can see the difference in the loungeroom you saw and the pictures posted in this thread, we are nearly back to that part of our year again, so I am getting keen.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

An exciting day here for us on Norfolk Island with our first taxi runs on the Norfolk Island airport while we are waiting for the paper work to be processed.

Thanks Bill for fitting me in for my BFR on my very short trip to Australia and thanks also to Neil for being there as a back up.

20140727_162915.jpg.5f3d983e93288b7c45e92a8ec4849c94.jpg

20140727_163452.jpg.2890a65e15869613f9866b1362d9f9f7.jpg

20140727_163627.jpg.9cacca15f12c17dc67147d304c29198d.jpg

20140727_164133.jpg.4b49b9d5c1aa03718108ce6825d081e1.jpg

20140727_164210.jpg.ab2a99f844b21c32abc532348e9b62a8.jpg

20140727_181425.jpg.cd8ddabed523d8d52401a5e406219b1b.jpg

• Like 3