Helicopter flying

Guest Howard Hughes

Guest Howard Hughes

If we have a modelling forum, then maybe I can find someone to help me get my helicopter flying...076_joystick.gif.1d2ed07889352a966338f6390696faff.gif

If we have a modelling forum, then maybe I can find someone to help me get my helicopter flying...076_joystick.gif.1d2ed07889352a966338f6390696faff.gif

I too, have one of these frustrating little suckers. I must have wiped it out over twenty times. The last time, I was about to chuck the lot in the bin, but my wife talked me out of it. I bought the Real Flight sim as per Turbo's post and I can fly it ok. If you want some serious frustration, buy a r/c chopper. Mine is the Trex. Regards, Bob 067_bash.gif.26fb8516c20ce4d7842b820ac15914cf.gif

• Like 1

Guest Howard Hughes
I too, have one of these frustrating little suckers. I must have wiped it out over twenty times.

Yes...My longest sortie has been around 30 secs before parts start flying off everywhere, I have rebuilt it so many times it needs the help of an expert. Something is not right, I get a very large vibration as soon as I try to increase the collective.

Moral of the story, don't buy a 6 or 7 channel helicopter!022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

I have 3 model helicopters at home, and unfortuanetly the first thing you need to learn is the hover. Training pods are a must. The biggest thing you need is someone who can fly them to trim it for you almost each time you fly it. Once you have a trimmed heli, you start by doing short hovers 1-2 secs, then put it down. with practice you pick it up for longer. then you concentrate on keeping it in 1 area. Also the bigger the heli the more capable and stable to fly( also more expensive), piezo gyros are cheap and heading lock gyros make life a lot easier too.

Helicopters with a collective head (5 channel) are easier in forward flight. Computer radios allow for mixing of throttle/collective, also make the controls less sensitive around centre. Plus many other functions.

Like most things, you get what you pay for. If you are serious about flying model helis (remember these things aren't toys) there are lots of clubs that are more than willing to help.

I have had a lot of fun with them over the years and my original heli (Robbe Schluter mozkito) although it has been repaired many time is still serviceable.

The smaller they are the HARDER they are to fly (reasonably true in all types of Helo).Yes Real Flight has saved me thousands... the set up is critical (especially on a TREX 450), as Blue Drifter says you must have them set up for trim, balanced and well tracking blades or it will all go wrong very easily. This can't be stressed enough...

Even a perfectly set up T Rex 450 will slowly oscillate around a little. Unlike fixed wing you NEVER stop working the controls, for example if you pitch nose down you cant just expect the the nose to pitch up when you release the stick like a plane would... Sold all my kit to help by the Drifter... 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif Getting motivated for another reading this 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

Guest nunans

I fly RC helis, and from my time with them I've learned that bigger ones are more stable, easier to see and tend to take a little longer to get out of control than a micro heli. That said the smaller ones can be cheaper to buy, run and repair. The way I teach people to fly is with a "50" size heli (600mm blades), no training legs and Two controllers connected with a buddy cord. This way I take off, get it in the hover, tail in and facing the wind at eye level about 20 feet away, then I push and hold a switch on my transmitter that gives control to the slave transmitter connected to it, The learner has a go at stopping it from flying away and when it all goes pear shaped (normally after just a few seconds to begin with) I let go of the switch and fly it back to in front of us at eye level and hand control over to the slave transmitter again. This is I think the cheapest and easiest way to learn to fly rc helis (can learn nose in and forward flight etc the same way but once you can take off hover and land without crashing then you can learn the rest on your own) Also there's a big difference between an unflown heli and one that's set up and flying nicely (I'm mainly talking about the normal RC helis where you buy the airframe, servos, gyro, Flybarless controller etc and install it all yourself rather than the micro all in one box ready to fly helis) So good setup can be the difference between a wild out of control experience and a steady, balanced, trimmed machine that will go where you point it.

• 2 weeks later...
Seriously it can't be that hard... a 7 yr old can do it!

Seriously it can't be that hard - i can do it. I have been flying almost 2years now and own 4 helicopters. 2x trex450 clones, and 2x trex 600 electrics. I learnt everything i know from helifreak.com forums. Awesome site for info. Took me 2 months of hard work to learn to fly forwards, circuits 8's etc.

Now i am learning to fly microlights......

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

If anyone's interest in model helis, I'd suggest the Blade MQX as a second or third vehicle. It actually a quadcopter and it's four-channels and responsive but it's great fun and made by a well known brand, Horizon Hobby. I have one and I stuck a little keychain cam (max payload of about 28g) and love filming the garden and house from the air :-)

BTW, I did have previous co-axial RC heli experience and years of RC planes and still found it hard to master but it's so tough that I learnt in no time and find it quite easy now.

Tom