EGT and CHT Sensors on a two stroke

bacon

Hi all

Just wondering what everyones opinion is on having both EGT and CHT sensors and gauges on a two stroke is, do you need both or can you get away with only one. My 503 came with just the EGT hooked up and I had a go at hooking the CHT up but think the gauge is faulty, am I waasting my time getting it working or is needed??

Thanks

Jamie

EGT is the number one gauge for two strokes, and if you have the chance/option, one for each pot, especially if you have twin carbs.

If only running one carb, check regularly that it is square with the engine/manifold or you get different mixtures to each pot.

Arthur.

The EGT gives you faster indication of overheating. The two stroke is interesting in this regard. If you pull the power back such as in the circuit for landing, the EGT will shoot up past the red line. Try it. I was told that will destroy your engine and so did very shallow approaches with very long finals [hardly glide angle distance to the airfield] Also, I read that the volume of exhaust was small with low power and the elevated EGT would not destroy the engine. By then I sold the a/c and moved to another one. Wonder what is the real story.

If you've got use it as long as the data is accurate ( as best as you can tell ), a precautionary landing or a return to the field instead o heading off on a long trip due to a high indication is free, a re-bore or replacement engine is very costly. In saying that, an EGT is very useful more so than the CHT especially on th 503, I have dual EGT and CHT plus 2 water temps on my 582, yeah I know what a nerd, but for me it's almost like have a bit of extra insurance. Before setting course on a medium to long trip, I'll check them again as I do prior to take off, during engine runs, before climbing to height for a crossing of tiger country, for-warned is far better than surprised like hell over tiger country. I use my blow torch to gently test the probes on the bench with the guage attached or using a meter to check output. I'm from the group " More is always better " ! Good luck.

You can justify a CHT on a liquid cooled motor for a loss of coolant situation. Unless fan cooled the 503 (as all agree) would not need one, once you installation had been "proved". You could fit a temporary one for this purpose. Nev