Standard pilot/passenger weight ???........................

Guest Maj Millard

Guest Maj Millard

Anyone know what is considered the 'standard' pilot or passenger weight these days ?...................I believe it was recently amended upwards. this is the weight generally used for flightplan usage...thanks in anticipation.................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

When you use standard weight you assume some will weigh more and some less. If 200 Sumo wrestlers go together to a convention on an a/c, that could cause a dangerous situation. Especially if they all got up at once to go to the toilet at the back of the plane. Even large airliners are quite sensitive to trim changes. One airline pilot told me when it was quiet back in the cabin he knew exactly when a one stewardess was walking up to the cockpit- the automatic trim adjuster slowly adjusted for the change in weight.

• Like 1

I weigh 115kg and I thought I was very heavy for a jab 160. Luckily my wife only weighs 59kg. I heard yesterday of a student weighing 133kg learning in a LSA55. And yes guys I am doing something about the weight. I haven't had a drink (alcohol) in 5 weeks. Hence the shaky writing.

Guest Maj Millard

Thanks for all your imputs. That's what makes this site so great !....So if we go by the recommndations of the CASA

information as offered in post #6, it looks like ; average male=86 Kg, average female=71 Kg...as a guideline only. So I'm 69 kgs wringing wet, which means the missus can go to 88 kgs....!!!! Holy shxx !! watch out 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif 029_crazy.gif.9816c6ae32645165a9f09f734746de5f.gif...........................................Maj...065_evil_grin.gif.2006e9f40863555e5894f7036698fb5d.gif

If I worked on 77kg for two people in a two seat aircraft, I can take a 95kg passenger 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

But of course you wouldn't do that Tomo... the 77kg is simply not appropriate in smaller aircraft as I'm sure you know. It is too easy to overload and end up with a CoG problem of diabolical proportions.

The Auster has a very good load carrying capacity and I can squeeze two really big people in the front plus full fuel without issues. The back seat is more limited of course but I don't insure for them and only ever go two up max. It means I can carry quite a bit of gear with me when I go away as some of you have probably noted 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif

kaz

• Like 1

Something else to consider is the seat loading allowed by the manufacturer. Some seats are only built to withstand a certain weight. I once had a 130kg passenger, and since I am a lot lighter we were well within the MTOW for the overall aircraft. But on checking the manual, the seat was not designed to handle anyone over a lower weight.

So you may take off but break something, or find in an accident it comes loose.

Ryan

I think clause 11 says it all

"Standard weights should not be used in aircraft with less than seven seats"

With a MTOW of 600kg in RA-AUS registered aircraft anything other then actual weight (including fuel) would be ill advised and that is before considering COG.

FrankM

Standard weights are a convenience thing for doing the load sheet easily. I wouldn't think they applied to smaller aircraft . You cannot use them if you reasonably expect that your passenger weights average out at a significantly different figure. I know of one airline aircraft that had a problem and selected the lighter pax and weighed them. This is obviously illegal and deliberately fudging the books. ACTUAL weights are the ONLY way to get it right. Weight is one thing and balance is another. If you get ramp checked you had better be on top of this. Nev

Guest ozzie

If 77kg is used on airlines then they shoud give me 17kg extra on top of the standard weight for baggage instead of charging me extra for the couple of kgs i was over once. GRRRR.

My baggage weight is only around 10-12 kg per fortnight (allowance is 23kg).But I weigh about 98KG.I am short changing them .

Ps- We are going to charter now.As per today.( I have a FIFO job flying Brissy to Roma every fortnight).

Back in the eighties I flew out of Hong Kong and noticed a passenger with a large suitcase strapped into the seat next to him, he told me that the extra seat ticket cost less than what the excess baggage would have been. Not sure if that can be done today on any airline.

Alan.

• Like 1

If I worked on 77kg for two people in a two seat aircraft, I can take a 95kg passenger 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Bloody bragart... You might think it's good exercise running around in the shower to get wet, but think about the water you're wasting... Shame on you. One day you'll have to think about being more eco responsable, which is what us big boys are doing.

059_whistling.gif.a3aa33bf4e30705b1ad8038eaab5a8f6.gif008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

• Like 2

No question that people are becoming larger and larger. In the past 3 years, I've had 4 prospective students,(2 male/2female), who weighed between 90 and 135kgs. It wasn't so much their weight, as their inability to be able to slide into the J-160,(2 couldn't do it), and seat themselves comfortably, (2 made it inside but couldn't operate the controls adequately). It seems that it's becoming less a question of weight per se, as it is one of whether the body is capable of accessing the seat and controls.

happy days,

• Like 1

noticed a passenger with a large suitcase strapped into the seat next to him, he told me that the extra seat ticket cost less than what the excess baggage would have been.

Yes you can purchase an extra seat. The 2nd seat costs less as the taxes are not applied and on QF at least you earn FF points and SC's for the extra seat also.

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone know what is considered the 'standard' pilot or passenger weight these days ?...................I believe it was recently amended upwards. this is the weight generally used for flightplan usage...thanks in anticipation.................................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Check the casa web site, I think it is 92kg.

"Standard weights" are fine where you are designing a product for the "95th percentile of the population" or doing preflight far an aircraft with a large number of passengers, but should be realistic for preflighting a small recreational aircraft, particularly a two seater.

If two guys weight 130 kg each got out of balance in a Jab in a full fuel take off, there would be no excuse for the pilot, particularly if he produced a cop of his flight plan showing 92 kg each.

Remember, just a few months ago the Sierra which got out of balance with just 15 kg of tools - weight and balance is simple, unforgiving, mathematics.

The truck industry was using 80 kg, but that's grown to 90 kg, and there are arguments for 100 kg.