Hi All... new to the sport

I live in Hervey Bay Queensland, and recently began microlight flight lessons. At this stage I know it all, and am quickly learning that maybe I don't really.062_book.gif.f66253742d25e17391c5980536af74da.gif

I have been wanting to fly all my life. Now in my mid 40's, better late than never. I attempted hang gliding when I was 18, but that was a bad day - yes 1st day a little prang. So get used to seeing me around here and there.

Lesson 1 & 2. I have had 2 hours of lessons now, (18 to go). I am on the lookout for an affordable Airbourne 582 trike with streak 2 wing (like everyone lol).

I look forward to getting to know many of you here.

Cheers!

I am learning to fly a Microlight. Training began on the 1st July 2012.

This thread has become my personal "follow my training" thread for those that may be interested. Do you remember doing your training?

• Like 1

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in Hervey Bay Queensland, and recently began microlight flight lessons. At this stage I know it all, and am quickly learning that maybe I don't really.062_book.gif.f66253742d25e17391c5980536af74da.gifI have been wanting to fly all my life. Now in my mid 40's, better late than never. I attempted hang gliding when I was 18, but that was a bad day - yes 1st day a little prang.

So get used to seeing me around here and there. I have had 2 hours of lessons now, (18 to go). I am on the lookout for an affordable Airbourne 582 trike with streak 2 wing (like everyone lol).

I look forward to getting to know many of you here.

Cheers!

Hi Crayon, and welcome.

When you get your cross country, drop into Gympie and say hi.

• Like 1

Hi Crayonbox welcome to the site, you will find several 'Trike Pilots' on this forum.

I have re-activated a classified ad for my Son's Trike which he is currently selling. A bit far from Qld but worth a look as he also has a very good trailer.

His forum name is HERM.

Alan .

• Like 1

Hi Crayonbox welcome to the site, you will find several 'Trike Pilots' on this forum.I have re-activated a classified ad for my Son's Trike which he is currently selling. A bit far from Qld but worth a look as he also has a very good trailer.

His forum name is HERM.

Alan .

Hi Alan, Yes seen that trike online, but too far to come and get it.

I should have my pilots cert by spring - all going well, so have got some time to look around I guess. (More time to save too).

• 4 weeks later...

I might keep this thread going with updates on my flight training progress. I have now enjoyed 3 hours of training in a Microlight 582 outback, which has included straight and level, following a creek, flowing a fence at low altitude, fog surfacing, and a run down the local aerodrome runway at 50feet - give or take 100ft 029_crazy.gif.9816c6ae32645165a9f09f734746de5f.gif

Lesson 3: This afternoon we flew ten circuits at the aerodrome in preparation for landings - pretty routine really, but most enjoyable. I also lined up for finals approach and flew into the private airstrip we operate from. Handover at 100ft.

Looks good for hour/lesson number 4 in the morning! And more circuits I guess. Practice makes perfect, and I would really like to be skill ready for when the spring winds begin, because the aerodrome runway is normally crosswind.

Hi CB & welcome.

I learnt to fly in Maryborough & kept my aircraft there for several years. Great area to fly around, the highlight being Fraser Island.

Where is the private strip that you operate from?

Cheers

Hi CB & welcome.I learnt to fly in Maryborough & kept my aircraft there for several years. Great area to fly around, the highlight being Fraser Island.

Where is the private strip that you operate from?

Cheers

Hi Mick,

I fly out of Nikenbah (Chapel Rd) with CFI Mark.

Hi Crayonbox,

Lovely part of the world up there. My folks live in Harvey Bay. I started flying a Jabiru 170 in April and have just gone solo. I too am trying hard to be nearly finished by November. I watched a trike flying on the weekend and I have to say you couldn't pay me enough money to fly in one. Besides it is way too cold in Adelaide. Good luck and keep posting with your progress. It helps the rest of us realize we all struggle at times.

Hi Mick,I fly out of Nikenbah (Chapel Rd) with CFI Mark.

Didn't know of that one, only one in that area that I know is the strip that used to belong to Erol Goodwin on Vanderwolf road. Is it for trikes only?

Didn't know of that one, only one in that area that I know is the strip that used to belong to Erol Goodwin on Vanderwolf road. Is it for trikes only?

Definitely trikes only! It's only ~350m and has a trike hanger to fit up to 3 trikes ! And I know of Erol Goodwin's place.

Lesson 4: Today I completed 0.25hrs training. YES only 0.25. We didn't do circuits. My CFI forecast last night (he didn't tell me) that there would be wind this morning and that some not so smooth air would be the go. My first experience in light turbulence 10kts gusting to 12kts. So by the time 10mins were up, working the bar for that long meant my brain was fried as my instructor would say. Now I need to chill and think about it - to let it sink in before the next session - next week.

You're welcome to 'drop' in ! Let us know when so we can video the attempt..... poke_tongue_out.gif.5a7d1a1d57bd049bd5fb0f49bf1777a8.gif

Attempt?... Attempt you say?... Whoah back there Cray... There're blokes up your way with STOL aircraft what'll take that as a slap in the face with a wet hanky. Especially with 350 mtrs to play with.

All jokes aside: All you Sav and such drivers up there please bear in mind the two scariest statements in aviation:

1/ An engineer who says, "Oh sh#t!" and,

2/ A pilot who says, "Yeah,,, Well watch this."

Seriously though Cray, thanks for the invite. When I'm up that way, I'll drop you a line and come on by to say G'day.

026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Lesson 5. Wind Southerly 7kts. Duration 1 hour

Departure South climb to 2000ft. Then glide down to 500ft for some paddock flying.

Departure East to 1000ft track coastal North to the airport.

Join circuit Downwind runway 11 for go around circuits (5 all up). Manage the 5-7kt southerly crosswind (with rotor) for heading and altitude.

Depart circuit to the West for landing at the private hanger.

All up a good day - new skills learned. I was told that 7kts is nothing and the rotor was tame. So lots more to looks forward to.

Today was also the day the instructor unexpectedly asked me, "If the engine gave up now where would you land?" I said over there in the nice paddock. He said "Yes that's good, but what about the grass strip below us?" Ha.. HA...HAAAA!

I must learn to totally "Take control" and follow that white line down the runway! Tell the aircraft that I am in control!

And - we do it all again tomorrow morning.

Stewart.

You're welcome to 'drop' in ! Let us know when so we can video the attempt..... poke_tongue_out.gif.5a7d1a1d57bd049bd5fb0f49bf1777a8.gif

Shouldn't be a problem, if you are 'dropping in' why do you need any runway?? 067_bash.gif.26fb8516c20ce4d7842b820ac15914cf.gif

Alan.

PS. When you depart, do you become a 'drop out' ?

• Like 2

Hi Alan, Yes seen that trike online, but too far to come and get it.I should have my pilots cert by spring - all going well, so have got some time to look around I guess. (More time to save too).

Make a trip of it and have a little holiday at the same time. Visit the barossa and taste some fine wine. Then hitch on my trike with the trailer and take a really good trike home with you. You will save money and get an aircraft that has not been effected by the damp weather in QLD. We have a smaller market here so good planes with no corrosion can be purchased at good prices. If I wanted a cheap boat I would head up your way... Let me know when you are coming down and I will arrange a lesson in it to add to your training hours......

Mardy

Shouldn't be a problem, if you are 'dropping in' why do you need any runway?? 067_bash.gif.26fb8516c20ce4d7842b820ac15914cf.gifAlan.

PS. When you depart, do you become a 'drop out' ?

Whoah back there,,, now steady on, Alan!... become a drop out?? A drop out?? I admit I was around in that era Man, but hey, I wasn't one of them "hippy" blokes ya know... Not ever!.. Gol dang it!.. Although I did meet and know (in a biblical sense) a couple of them "hippy" sheilas during that time... Aargh, the mammaries... Puts a whole new meaning on drop out, eh?

008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gifoutback.gif.91986d60389f6b0a565fa0f2980da0a8.gif 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

• Like 1

Hi CrayonBox 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif to to the forums.You'll have a lot of fun here and learn a lot from others than me

I'll be arriving on the one and only Virgin flight next Tuesday for a week on the bay.

If you see an old fart with a gorgeous young chick and think it's his grand-dauughter hanging off his arm, stop and say G'day it'll probably be me, and it'd be lovely to meet you.

If you have a spare kilo or two of of prawns, i'll be at at 2/5 Witt Street, Torquay and i'm happy to share a couple with you:happy: I'm good like thet!

Good luck with your training mate. This would be exciting times for you.lRgds planey

Wow thanks planey. I'd love to meet you. I might pop round on Wednesday. Say 1pm? Don't know about prawns though - I think we are all out 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Maybe we could have a coffee somewhere sometime too?

cheers,

Stew.

Lesson #6.

Wind: Calm. Depart to the South, climb to 1000ft, head for the airport....

Before the flight we had to wait for some fog to burn off, but we were good to go around 730am.

Circuits - getting closer to landing... the runway center line is starting to straighten out. 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif It seems to become straight when my instructor has a turn??

Total time this flight 1hr.