Hi All... new to the sport

You''re going well Stew.Looks like I might have to book another holiday up in the bay, to check that your'e not b'sh--ting us, and to add a bit of ballast to reduce your ROC

Yeah not b'sht = I start flying F/a 18e next week! 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Up again today with the same old stuff.

Just so you all know we have been doing all the landings power off.... As in a forced landing. That's why it may seem to be taking a while.

We have landed a couple of times with power, and they ARE much easier.

I am sleeping in tomorrow!!

As the hours continue to build, I seem to be moving nowhere slowly. But little things are clicking into place.

My problem today, and what seems to be the last landing hurdle, but an important one, is lack of fast responses to control final approach just before hold off. I am a little slow to modify the ascent and descent rate at this crucial stage of landing, and apparently I need to teach my cerebellum to do the work.

Now that i am aware this is my current big issue, i can consciously work on it.

I must be close because going around and around in circuits is getting monotonous. I think it's this monotony that motivates one to pull their finger out and and get the job done.

Another morning of circuits, landings, and seemingly slow progress.

I don't think I am made for landings.... Or I am too tired. Hopefully someday soon the whole thing will click together, but no pressure hey.

This morning we had NE on runway 11, 7kts. So I guess I am getting some crosswind lessons. And there was also light turbulence around the circuit, all part of the training, and good experience for solo... I imagine.

You'll get there mate.

One advangtage I've probably overlooked during my flight training is that I was doing several hours a week, so was always current and fresh on procedures. Couldn't imagine flying only one or two hours a month, it'd be hard to get back into the groove.

All the best, great weather this weekend!

- boingk

Hi Crayonbox,Lovely part of the world up there. My folks live in Harvey Bay. I started flying a Jabiru 170 in April and have just gone solo. I too am trying hard to be nearly finished by November. I watched a trike flying on the weekend and I have to say you couldn't pay me enough money to fly in one. Besides it is way too cold in Adelaide. Good luck and keep posting with your progress. It helps the rest of us realize we all struggle at times.

Way too COLD IN ADELAIDE ???????

I usually wear fingerless gloves ( for the radio buttons ! ) and bar mitts and I still freeze in our MILD English weather !!!!! Plus, a home made padded chest protector under the Ozee suit, I uesed to stuff a newspapaper down the front in the early days, but I got really wet in a storm and all the newsprint transferred itself onto my sweatshirt ! ! ! Trike flying in South OZ ???? LUXURY.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

The past week the weather has not been favorable for practicing my landings due to 15-25kts crosswinds. And as much as we need rain - we are still waiting. Everything is burnt that lovely brown colour.

So, yesterday and this morning I got the opportunity to have 2 half hour flights. Yesterday because we thought we would give the engine a test after I carried out some carburettor work - works awesome now. Then we did some light turbulence practice with turns and figure 8's at 400ft in the training area, and an emergency practice landing (without actually landing). The difference in thermal activity over the ground cloud shadows and the sun lit ground was amazing!

Today, I knew my instructor had another student up for a flight, I had no intention of flying today. But, when I awoke at 6am, the skies were calling, the winds were calm (0!), there was no wind. So I went to the field, did my preflight, and waited for the return of the instructor.

Their return came soon after, at 645am. My instructor was keen, and the winds were still calm to low (but starting to build I could feel).

During pre-takeoff checks, we again checked the AWIS - N 10kts! What?! The winds went from 0-10kts in less than 1/2hr!

So we went anyway, got some more turbulence practice and completed 2x circuits (low level passes) in the crosswind on runway 11 at the airport.

Today I flew in a tee-shirt and jeans, without gloves - it was nice.

Tomorrow and for the next few days, winds are supposed to be calm and Easterly. Fingers crossed - this could be my week!

Keep it up Crayons. . . .

It really does suddenly "Click" if you keep at it, although, a VERY tiny number of the fliers at my field, well. . . . they seem to have to re-learn to fly every couple of months, I mean, once you have learned the bodily motor functions to enable you to drive a car,. . . you usually don't forget how to do it, unless you have a layoff of several decades between drives, but I've witnessed some fellers over the years, who, after a break of a couple of weeks, require a flight with an instructor. . . . . and these are guys who already have a licence. . . . . there is probably some psychological reason for this, and I'm not a psycholoigist, so I am not making fun of such people, but it does make you think a bit. . . . I guess that the only cure is REGULAR practice.

I had the Honour of flying a passenger not long ago, who was a pilot on Sunderland Flying boats in WW2. His name was George Yardley. He passed away a few years ago, and his son Simon, is a friend of mine, and owner of a self built Savannah Microlight aircraft. His Dad was trained in Canada on Boeing Stearman biplanes, and then given a WELLINGTON BOMBER" which he had to navigate back to England with his crew, he was 19 years of age at the time. If he got back to England OK, he passed. !!!

I have a 19 year old trainee in my company in UK, and I wouldn't trust the berk with the TV remote, let alone a big twin engined bomber with a crew !!

George then went on to command Sunderland flying boats on RAF Coastal Command duty, hunting German submarines. His aircraft bombed a sub not far off the English coast, and he shepherded the damaged sub into an English port. This was the ONLY recorded incident of it's type anywhere, and the picture of the sub hangs in Kermit Weeks' museum in the US, after Simon visited there a couple of years ago, and gave it to Kermit, who has a Sunderland in rebuild.

Why am I telling you all this you say. . . . . . Ah well, I took George up for a jolly in Simon's ( earlier ) Rans S6 503 microlight, and asked George if he would like to have a go on the controls, and bear in mind this was BEFORE I knew his history, he was reluctant, and said, that he had not touched aircraft controls for fifty seven years ! I gave him control and it all came back in a matter of a couple of minutes. he was doing perfectly balanced steep turns, lazy eights and all the stuff they taught him in the stearman. He had a smile on him which would outdo a cheshire cat. . . ( I had to draw the line at loops !! ) I was so impressed it wasn't funny. He refused to attempt a landing, as he said that the aircraft was too light, and he couldn't get a feel for it. . . !!!!! I suggested that if he was bored, he should go for an assistant flying instructor ticket !!

So. . . . . . . . . . I reckon, that once you've got it,. . . . . . you will, in all probaility, never lose it. . . . . . . Keep at it my friend, and I'm sure that you'll end up with a lot more colours in your box.

Phil

• Like 1

Phil,

That is a fantastic story. I found it a little emotional. Thank you so much for the encouragement and the well-wishes.

I would also like to wish everyone on the site a Very Merry (not drunk) Christmas and a fantastic holiday break. You guys are great! May the wind and the weather be in your favour.

Read on and I will fill you in on today's enthralling episode.

• Like 1

Today - the end of the world....21/12/2012. I flew twice just in case 008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

5am (1hr), early bird caught the worm - 10 unassisted landings. All nice and tidy. We also did many simulated engine out practice landings and scenarios. I had to get the a/c on the runway in one piece in any of the given situations. And I did. (instructor had full control of the throttle so he could cut it any time).

Later, upon arrival at our hanger... the instructor had another student waiting and asked if I would like to go again in about an hour - when the runway was warmer (thermally bitumen) and the wind speed was higher.

Alrighty - off to get fuel etc etc.

830am(0.5hr), lift off, return to the airport. The air was bumpy now. But all good. It was actually a little fun to fly in. There was always something to do.

Join circuit at mid crosswind, downwind, base and finals - all the time correcting for the thermal climbs/sinks and the bumpy air.

In we go, yep sure was a little different than earlier - but most of the time I coped ok. A little (lot) more thermal practice and I'll get confident with it.

Completed 5 circuits.

So - not far now - tomorrow is another day! I can still solo before Christmas.....

Thanks for all your support guys (and girls).

Its raining........... :-(

Good on you Stew, sounds like your're doing really well mate.

So whats with the raining whinge? I thought trikes had an umbrella up at all times:stirrer:

All the best (flying) for Christmas and the New Year

Rgds Alan

• Like 1

R a i n i n g ? ? ?

It has not stopped here for quite a while, half the country is flooded, and it's forecast to continue throughout Christmas. I just hope that Mr. Claus has a good set of floats on the sleigh.

( AND a current Floatsleigh rating of course,. . . don't want to fall foul of CAA reglations. . . . )

I don't expect the RAINDEER to have any problems. . .

• Like 1

This morning it wasn't raining so guess what. Yup, more circuits...

But, today it was easterly 8kts on runway 11, and i had full control of the radio.

Considering the gusty wind, i did very well with most of my unassisted landings a couple had a little help from the funny guy in the back seat.

It was after we got back to our hanger, i found out that today would have been solo day, but the wind was too much for my first solo.

So anytime now, i can taste it.... Tomorrow we aim to fly again but the wind looks to be similar.

I had my new gopro hero3 black mounted above us on the mast too, and the oicture quality is awesome! I'll be posting the solo flight - sooooon!

Thanks for reading.

Listen Stew,

If you are thinking that you possibly could have handled it, ( I'm not saying that you are. . . ) when the funny guy in the back seat gets out, the machine will feel VERY diffferent. It will Obviously go UP a lot quicker, and the "Feel" will be quite different. You'll find that the aircraft will be even more susceptible to wind gusts, and general handling will be a lot lighter, even if your back seat mentor is a thin feller, and you are carrying a ballast bag.

So I wouldn't feel in ANY way cheated , even if you do. . . . ( you may not. . . but just in case ) You'll get solo soon, and when you do, savour the moment, it's rather like your first cuddle with a naked lady ( or man, if you're that way inclined ) ( . . .we have to be gender equal in the European Union. . . . ) When my friend and mentor Larry stepped out of the Bird dog, and I started my first solo take off. . . . I was so close to releasing my bowels that it took a humungous effort not to. . . . . especially as he'd said that if I did, I'd have to clean it up. . . .

I'll be away from an internet connection after tomorrow evening ( Dec 24th ) but I'll check your blog to see if you solo over the Christmas break when I get back to work on the 27th.

Good luck, and may the weather gods be with you.

Phil

• Like 1

Listen Stew,If you are thinking that you possibly could have handled it, ( I'm not saying that you are. . . ) when the funny guy in the back seat gets out, the machine will feel VERY diffferent. It will Obviously go UP a lot quicker, and the "Feel" will be quite different. You'll find that the aircraft will be even more susceptible to wind gusts, and general handling will be a lot lighter, even if your back seat mentor is a thin feller, and you are carrying a ballast bag.

So I wouldn't feel in ANY way cheated , even if you do. . . . ( you may not. . . but just in case ) You'll get solo soon, and when you do, savour the moment, it's rather like your first cuddle with a naked lady ( or man, if you're that way inclined ) ( . . .we have to be gender equal in the European Union. . . . ) When my friend and mentor Larry stepped out of the Bird dog, and I started my first solo take off. . . . I was so close to releasing my bowels that it took a humungous effort not to. . . . . especially as he'd said that if I did, I'd have to clean it up. . . .

I'll be away from an internet connection after tomorrow evening ( Dec 24th ) but I'll check your blog to see if you solo over the Christmas break when I get back to work on the 27th.

Good luck, and may the weather gods be with you.

Phil

Phil,

Thank you for your advice. I don't feel cheated, just privileged to be able to receive some windy flying before my solo, will make calm air seem too easy. However, being on the coast, calm air is hard to come by in summer. I'll to learn this at some stage very soon anyway.

We have been discussing the different feel the aircraft will have when the backseat pilot gets out. And even though I think I understand, I know I won't really until that moment comes. (hadn't thought about the bowel movement possibility - I better be prepared - it's my aircraft 111_oops.gif.41a64bb245dc25cbc7efb50b743e8a29.gif)

The only thing preventing the solo, and again today confirmed it, was the wind was too much for when I am by myself with my minimal experience. I coped ok today with the wind, but not brilliantly. Even greased a couple in. ESE 10kts. (straight down the runway).

I also learned that we should stay well clear of helicopters and their wake turbulence. Never enter the dirty air they leave behind - can be worse than a jet....

I'll be able to savour the training flights forever as I have been filming them from the mast with my new GoPro. I'll be posting my solo video when it happens...

I will be away until Thursday also. So no flying until then, when the wind forecast looks good for launch! ESE 5kts.

You're welcome to 'drop' in ! Let us know when so we can video the attempt..... poke_tongue_out.gif.5a7d1a1d57bd049bd5fb0f49bf1777a8.gif

I found your strip asked the question in another thread and found this in your original thread

I can get my savannah in there easily and I am not that experienced yet 029_crazy.gif.9816c6ae32645165a9f09f734746de5f.gif

Mark

• Like 1

I found your strip asked the question in another thread and found this in your original threadI can get my savannah in there easily and I am not that experienced yet 029_crazy.gif.9816c6ae32645165a9f09f734746de5f.gif

Mark

Hi Mark,

Yes there is 320m so not to hard really for ultralight and microlight. Just powerlines at the northern end.

Phil,Thank you for your advice. I don't feel cheated, just privileged to be able to receive some windy flying before my solo, will make calm air seem too easy. However, being on the coast, calm air is hard to come by in summer. I'll to learn this at some stage very soon anyway.

We have been discussing the different feel the aircraft will have when the backseat pilot gets out. And even though I think I understand, I know I won't really until that moment comes. (hadn't thought about the bowel movement possibility - I better be prepared - it's my aircraft 111_oops.gif.41a64bb245dc25cbc7efb50b743e8a29.gif)

The only thing preventing the solo, and again today confirmed it, was the wind was too much for when I am by myself with my minimal experience. I coped ok today with the wind, but not brilliantly. Even greased a couple in. ESE 10kts. (straight down the runway).

I also learned that we should stay well clear of helicopters and their wake turbulence. Never enter the dirty air they leave behind - can be worse than a jet....

I'll be able to savour the training flights forever as I have been filming them from the mast with my new GoPro. I'll be posting my solo video when it happens...

I will be away until Thursday also. So no flying until then, when the wind forecast looks good for launch! ESE 5kts.

Hey Stew,. . . . don't take ADVICE from anyone apart from your Instructor. I was just stating the bleeding obvious ( ! ) and have a bad habit of promulgating rubbish !! The kite you are flying is probably a quantum leap more advanced than mine anyway.

Good luck with the wind forecasts and I'll look forward to seeing your solo video. My mad mate Kev Mallin, ( CAVOK KEV ) has his camera mounted on the monopole above his head, so that the viewer can see what he is doing as well, with a wide angle lens. . . . His videos of landings at various airfields in France are really worth watching, as well as his audio narration, things like. . . "Bugger me, what's the French words for can I use Runway 17 ?? !!!" I'm not sure whether you said that your cam was mounted ABOVE the wing ?? I thought all these hotship trikes didn't have a king post any more ????? Dunno what appliances are available now in OZ, must read more posts and keep gob shut until.

Phil

I found your strip asked the question in another thread and found this in your original threadI can get my savannah in there easily and I am not that experienced yet 029_crazy.gif.9816c6ae32645165a9f09f734746de5f.gif

Mark

Hi Mark, . . . have you got the leading edge vortex generators on your Savannah wing yet, My friend Simon has them on his version, ( G-SAVY ) and reckons that they are really good. I have not tried them myself, as both of us find the cockpit a little tight as he is a Fat B****R . ( I'm not., I mean I'm a little under 18 stone. . . . . ( ! ) [ 14 pounds in a stone, I'll let you work out the Lb to Kg bit. . . . ( ! )

Phil

I'm not sure whether you said that your cam was mounted ABOVE the wing ?? I thought all these hotship trikes didn't have a king post any more ????? Dunno what appliances are available now in OZ, must read more posts and keep gob shut until. Phil

Phil,

The mast is the tube from the base up to where the wing attaches, below the wing. I have my gopro mounted on it under the wing. My wing isnt a strutless so i do have a kingpost above the wing.

Errr, nice day for a solo.... But i am 300kms away and it is afterall Christmas morning.image.jpg.7ced1e09c6989b60acee0736e7b6301e.jpg

The mast is the tube from the base up to where the wing attaches, below the wing.

What Aussi trikers refer to as the "mast" is what Poms call the "monopole"

Cheers

John