Is your partner interested in aviation

Admin

Is your partner interested in flying as much as you?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Is your partner interested in flying as much as you?

• Not at all and fight me all the way
    • They put up with it for me
    • They show a generalistic interest
    • They support me all the way
    • They have started flying also
    • They bloody got me into it
    • My answer is not an option

Here is an interesting poll..."Is your partner interested in aviation?"

Often more then not flying becomes an interest of a person and their partner seems to put up with the new found interest of their partner. However, I wonder to what degree does the interest rub off on to the partner and they too become an interested participant in their partners flying endeavours.

It's all my wife's fault. She used to work for an aero club and had been trying to talk me into having lessons for a long time because she knew I was interested in planes. On the other hand, I was very reluctant to `waste' many thousands of hard-earned dollars `just to be able to fly around in circles and come down again'. Eventually she bought me a 3-lesson `PPL starter pack'. So I had the three lessons, wondered what to do next, bought 3 more, etc. Now we've got a half finished plane in the shed. She has no interest in learning to fly or driving rivets, but likes the idea of having our own plane to go places. I just hope we can still afford the fuel when it's finally finished.

rgmwa

• Like 3

Every step of the way has been triggered by my wife Gay, even way back when she bought my first RC model kit.

But she really only has a generalistic interest, mainly because I am interested in aviation.

Pud

My wife only likes to fly in things that serve drinks (her words), but is supportive as she understands that for me, life without flying is pointless.

• Like 2

Well I ticked "started flying also" but in reality when we met we were both already pilots and plane owners. He was a plane builder and I was only dreaming of it. Have since finished that one and he's mooning over plans and designing the next and we spend our free time and holidays (and the honeymoon!) in hangars working on planes.

Sue

• Like 3

While my Drifter was hangared at Holbrook (4yrs) my wife only saw it 4 times. The day I flew in, 1 Natfly, 1 15min flight (and complained about the cold) and the day I flew it out of Holbrook to it's current home. At least my youngest enjoys coming with me. blink.gif.7ee21b69ed31ab2b1903acc52ec4cc3f.gif

My beloved is very supportive, as long as being supportive doesn't require her to be in the air with me. She's glued to the coverage of the Tour de France at the moment, and I keep reminding her that the countryside only looks that good from the air. She even got as far as asking the other day whether my certificate was valid in France, so maybe she's coming around if the payoff is good enough (pity it isn't 053_no.gif.1b075e917db98e3e6efb5417cfec8882.gif).

• Like 2

I told mine that her 80k vw conertable had to go in the driveway so I could start my build. Ended up I had to have her and the vw out the driveway to start the build!!

Guest Howard Hughes

My wife is not the least bit interested in Aviation and more often than not gets sick if she flys, even on the so called 'BIG' ones... She tolerates aviation because it provides us a good lifestyle and makes me happy!

Looks like if I ever go to Oshkosh, it'll be just me and the two boys, as two hours at Wings over the Illawarra, was enough to leave her glassy eyed.022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

PS: She did concede that the Roulettes was worth the cost of admission, but I couldn't get her interested in the big ole' radials!012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

My wife started in support of me but after her first lesson I was told " I don't care if you keep flying or not - I am doing this for me! ". Some our best fun was when we owned 2 aircraft for nearly a year so it was "His & Hers". We went to several fly-ins taking a plane each. Wish we could afford to have 2 planes all the time.

Hellen tells me her first purchase when we win lotto will be a Stearman!

So my answer is not an option - Hellen does not support my flying - she is into it in her own right!

• Like 2

My late first wife not only loved the flying, but particularly the people we met through flying and the places we visited, some planned and some by circumstance. Traversing Australia by light aircraft gives an unique perspective to this marvellous country. My wife achieved her RPPL, and when we flew I always navigated, reasoning that it was probably one of the few opportunities for me to "tell her where to go"!! She was a journalist and always enjoyed being able to convey her experience to a broarder audience. Sadly breast cancer closed both the log book and her life far too early.

My wife is not averse to flying, but motion sickness can potentially detract from fully enjoying it. A number of years ago she did quite a bit of flying in light aircraft in the Kimberley region when she was a teacher with the Kimberley School of the Air, but says that she probably did not fully appreciate the experiences at the time.

She has shared three crossings of the Nullabor with me, but is not a keen participant in parking a backside in an aircraft for the best part of the day. I have encouraged her to keep the aircraft S&L in cruise but after five minutes implores me to resume control.

She is supportive of me maintaining my interest in flying, knowing that in my case "altitude affects attitude".

Should we get to be grey nomads I have stated that if possible, there will be two laps around the continent, one in an aircraft and the second towing a caravan/camper. I am yet to be contradicted, but the order could be interesting.

My first wife was into flying, I suggested she learn to fly , when she was bored at home one day.Which she did, knocked off Pilot cert and a PPL.

My partner now, isnt realy into it.She would rather be a passenger on the back of my motorbike.She has a motorbike licence, and owned a ZZR 250 once but I reckon she would have been in a box by now if she kept riding.082_scooter.gif.e6a62d295b0b59b8276038871473d864.gif

my wife had TIF with Garry Morgan and came back with a big smile on her face ,she thought that light aircraft were to bumpy ! she now wants to do a "wife of pilot course " to better understand LSA but insists that i fly for at least 12 months before she will go up with me ,ah well only 14 months to goLOL

• Like 1

My dearly beloved tried flying with me on 2 occasions:- The first was a quick and gentle loop around the local patch. She was apprehensive, but interested. The second was a cross-country run to spend several days at a holiday destination. The result was the rest of that day and evening in hospital getting her head to work again! Turns out that her inner ear balance mechanism just couldn't cope with banked turns in circuit and she just lost the plot. Needless to say, she hasn't and won't fly with me ever again. Not that I mind, because I don't have to go to choir and yoga with her. Status quo happily remains!

• Like 2

There's just me and the dog and the dog isn't so keen anymore...

How old is Mandy Kaz?

My wife tolerates my flying and is not all that happy to come flying, but will do, however, I think if she had the option to go in the aluminium bus and me to fly by myself, I fear she would take the aluminium bus option. She refuses to fly tandem with me and why I was never permitted to buy a Citabria I was looking at, but she likes the side by side seating of the Auster and will soon join me in the old girl; (the Auster that is).

• Like 1

My wife is not interested at all. In fact she gets sick of me even talking about it. Well I do talk about it lots so I do understand. Not to paint a bad picture of my Wife as she is the best part of my life. I would love it if she flew with me, but at this stage she has never seen my plane. I have only had it for six weeks and I am sure She will. Oh bugger She's just come into the room and looked over my shoulder... She started saying things about being my personal slave.... Anyway She did go in my trike and had a good time, but has never been since. I have been building a Jab that I finished this weekend Yaaay! But she is yet to see this... Each to thier own! I am still happy that she has supported me in owning my own plane as I would hate to have to make a choice LOL

• Like 1

Guest Howard Hughes
Should we get to be grey nomads I have stated that if possible, there will be two laps around the continent, one in an aircraft and the second towing a caravan/camper. I am yet to be contradicted, but the order could be interesting.

My dream would be to do the trip in a BIG motorhome, with suitably trailerable aircraft in tow!

The girlfriend has been up with me in the flying schools C150 twice now, and absolutely loves it! Shes a more adventurous type and I kind've guessed she wouldn't have a problem, just didn't know how much she'd like it haha.

Now I've got my own plane she's dead keen for a fly away somewhere... and once I've got my TW endorsement and some reasonable experience in it then I'll be more than happy to do so with her.

Cheers - boingk

• Like 1

My dream would be to do the trip in a BIG motorhome, with suitably trailerable aircraft in tow!

About 30 years the inaugural Treasurer of the Airtourer Association took a lap around Oz on a working holiday that spanned a few years. Bill flew the Airtourer and Yvonne followed up with the car and caravan.

If ever there was an award for "Flying Wife of the Century" Yvonne Kelly would have been a well credentialed contender!!