Are warbirds welcome here?

Hey everyone...so when we sold the Sportstar and we were a bit sad 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif , someone said to cheer ouselves up we should buy another aeroplane...well, we did...and it worked :big_grin:

Some of you may recall last year we were thinking of selling the Sportstar to buy a CT-4 as they have a bit of a special place in my heart having grown up around them as a kid at Point Cook and my first flight in a small aircraft was in a CT-4. It didn't work out last year, but through a chain of events starting with a bit of hail in Canberra in February, we've ended up with a bit of a gem.

Ok, so she's not exactly a 'warbird' as such, but the official regs state that any ex-military aircraft are classified as a 'warbirds'. So for a bit of background:

• Built 1975, delivered to the RAAF at 1FTS at Point Cook then allocated to ARDU (Aircraft Research and Development Unit) in Edinburgh (SA)

• Spent all her service life at ARDU and was never used for ab-initio training

• Sold at auction in 1993 with only 1800 hours on the airframe and only has 2050 now

• Only one owner and only flown by him (not very often!) since then

• She's the only flying CT-4 never used for training...there was another (also at ARDU) but that one crashed a few years back and was written off

The paint isn't in the best condition as she's lived in a farm shed for the last 14 years, but mechanically she's faultless having been maintained by one of the folks who also spends a lot of their time working at the Temora Aviation Museum. So a new paint job in the next year or two is on the books to get her looking like new again. There's also quite a few spares with the sale...like spare flaps, ailerons, canopy, tyres...need to buy a shed now, not sure they'll fit in the apartment :)

We should be flying her away sometime next week and will definitely (depending on weather...) be attending the fly in at Camden Haven in June...plenty of wing to camp under...or curl up in the back of the cockpit!

Here's what she looked like when 'new'...we'll get her looking like that again soon

How about that guys - congratulations 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

I suppose we will have to let you on here after all as it does have "CT" in the name 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Guest Fred Bear

Excellent Matt and Kaz. Well done! Shame we miss her this weekend!!! Looking forward to seeing her in the future though! :)

I wonder if it gets treated like the F18's in the ARDU unit? the Hornets of the ARDU are rigged with all kinds of stress sensors (which cause massive corrosion) and are always flown hard. hence the Hornets in our hangar at work are always the least hour airframes but suffer the most fatigue damage.

but i suppose if its been maintained well, it shouldnt be an issue, especially if all the extras have been removed.

I have always wanted to own an ex military aircraft! (secretly hoping for a short world war so i can buy up a few surplus F16's)

Guest brentc

Sounds good and will polish up nicely with a splash of paint.

I see limited on the side, is there a limitation on the aircraft when used privately?

Thanks for all the feedback. Our LAME was a tech in the RAAF when the CT-4s were being operated and apparently they actually had a pretty easy life at ARDU. One of the many positives about the aircraft is the condition the airframe is in, despite the paint being a bit faded and patchy in spots, there's no corrosion anywhere on the airframe. One other 'unique' feature she has is an inverted oil system, it's the only 360 powered CT-4 in Australia with an inverted oil system, something ARDU were testing...good for aerobatics apparently :)

Can't wait to start putting together the scrap book and find out all about her past. We're heading down to Point Cook in June so will be popping in to see the folks at the RAAF museum to see if they have any info on her.

Did anyone see the dark blue CT-4F at Avalon or in the latest Australian Aviation mag? Full glass cockpit and 300HP engine...hmmmmm...now I wonder how we can upgrade her :)

Regarding the "LIMITED" category, this is a CASA category applied to all ex-military aircraft which don't have a civilian certification. The B, E and F model CT-4s all have civilian certifications, the A model doesn't. Presently the limitations are to the conditions i.e. day VFR ,and to CASA's liability i.e. because they're not certified, it's a 'fly at your own risk' approach...sound familiar. As with 'ultralights' which are administered by RA-Aus following CASA regulations, ex-military aircraft will be moving (as of next week) from CASA administration to that of the "Australian Warbirds Association" who will administer LIMITED category aircraft following CASA regulations. You can get the A model certified for Night VFR or full IFR, apparently it just requires some minor changes to the airframe and the necessary avionics. Something we'll probably look at in the future.

Guest Marilyn C

Congrats Matt and Kaz . What a beauty ;)... I hope you get lots of pleasure and years of great flying with her .I wish I could meet up with you at Camden Haven but thats not possible , but David will be there and he's looking forward to seeing you too .

Marilyn C

Hmmmm, It does look a bit like a big Sportstar!!!!

About that new paint job, will it have as many stars as 3978??

Congrats on the new toy, look forward to hearing your thoughts on the comparison between the CT-4 and 3978.

Mick ( Sportstar 4010 ).

PS. Since I had flown your last aircraft, when do I get a go of this one!!!:) :big_grin: keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif

Oh I am so jealous. Years ago I spent a few hours in the Victa and thoroughly enjoyed it except when the temp went over 30 deg at Whyalla, it rather slowed the climb rate.

Oh I am so jealous. Years ago I spent a few hours in the Victa and thoroughly enjoyed it except when the temp went over 30 deg at Whyalla, it rather slowed the climb rate.

The extra horses up front on the CT4 would certainly help !!

They do indeed, all 210 of them! The test flight last Saturday was on a pretty typical Canberra autumn day - about 23 degrees with pressure at 1024hp. Strip elevation was 2000' and two up with full tanks we easily maintained about 1500fpm at 90kts with cruise at 130kts. The engine in this one is sweeeeeet.

Very jealous !! I actually looked at bidding when they went to auction originally but far too eagerly sought for me at the time !!

Great looking aircraft, it will take up lots of your time to return it to its former glory. I have Winjeel A85-448 as a long term restoration and a mate and I just bought A 85-421 which I found while looking for parts, it comes with a literal truck load of new/old stock spares. I am also waiting to take delivery of a Brumby so that I can get some flying in while we restore the others. Ex milatary aircraft are some times advertised, a lot is by word of mouth and the guys are a bit slow to let you into the know until they know you are serious about the whole thing. The mix and match of aircraft types ie warbird, ulta light what ever does not seem to worry any one I have come across yet.

Regards, Tony.

It's up at Hall until the paperwork is finalised this week but we hope to have it at Canberra Airport on Saurday. We plan to take it for it's first 'real' fly to Temora on Sunday...

It's up at Hall until the paperwork is finalised this week but we hope to have it at Canberra Airport on Saurday. We plan to take it for it's first 'real' fly to Temora on Sunday...

We hope to be there both days for the Temora weekend, seeya there.

Guest Vigilant

Warbird sales

Ultralights where do you actually buy an ex military aircraft?

Ultralights, I dream of owning a warbird too, in my constant trolling of the web I came across this site,

http://www.courtesyaircraft.com/

I hope the link works.

Great photos of aircraft and prices ranging from the millions to just a few hundred K (US). Hope you enjoy the link.018_hug.gif.8f44196246785568c4ba31412287795a.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Fred Bear
Just saw a CT4 turn base for The Oaks over our place - presume same one

Was indeed. Matt and I. Pics to come...in some other thread most likely. :)

Congratulations Matt and Kaz, I'm delighted to hear you've found a new baby. Be assured that "Dimples" is being well cared for and is behaving in exemplary manner.

Ian (yes, he did survive the trip up here) and I have just been comparing his CTsw with Dimples. The conclusion is that the CTsw is about 20 kts faster all around, but we concluded that both are beautiful aircraft.

Look forward to seeing you at Camden Haven (Ross Glen) on June 22/23/24 - something else Ian and I have been discussing with other Hastings District people this afternoon. Should be a great weekend.

Cheers

Gregg