A great trip, a lesson learnt and experience gained

Admin

I agree Tomo,

Even though it is not the correct way as we should land before last light there could be so many variables that effect that.

An example of this could be we start the 30mins flight back to airport "A" with 50mins till last light. Then when arriving back at the field we find that an aircraft is stuck an blocking the runway. Nearest airfield is 25mons away but that puts us into an "afterdark" situation.

Your sugestion would definately be helpfull:thumb_up:

Perfprmance and Operations is a PPL syllabus subject, but I notice that a lot of posts refer to recreational pilots having experiences which wouldn't have happened if pre flight calculations had been done, whether it's running out of fuel, or out of last light.

Mostly it's the secondary cause such as Ian's experience or the one mentioned above which creates the contingency which upsets the apple cart.

Performance and Operations teaches you to plan for the contingencies, and know what's likely to happen.

Maybe we could do a couple of theroetical flights to add some knowledge, if anyone's interested.

Turbo,

Good reply and I agree with the theoritical flights, Even though it would be a miscalculation or poor planning that put you in a position like Ian's it would be better to know how to fix and learn instead of turning a bad decision into a fatal one.

Just a thought

Guest Brett Campany
Tomo, just last week I decided to do some last light landings on my private strip, just to gain the experience in case I ever got caught out coming home, for some unplanned reason. I was simply doing 300'agl circuits over my own property and landing, turning around, taking off (1 way strip). Climbing turn left after going under the power line levelling out then a right hand turn back into final and down under the power line, did 9 landings in about 15 mins. I knew when to stop with the available light. I know some here would frown upon this, some severely, however I was over my own property at all times and yes I could land in 1 of a few places if the fan stopped. I just figured it was 1 more tool to add to the kit............Cheers

Dexter

PS enjoyed reading this thread.

I reckon that's some good training there Dex, if you have the opportunity to do then I reckon go for it because it can happen to anyone at anytime regardsless of how experienced you are!

Guest Decca

To respond to your offer of theoretical flights; Yes please Turbo, always hungry for knowledge, and keen to see how this will work.

Performance & Operations is fairly well covered on the RAAus site too, apart from being a PPL syllabus subject, although performance is hidden within the text of Syllabus of Recreational Flight Training (3.04).

There is also plenty of reading on both subjects by google searching within the RAAus site. There's provision for doing that on the home page.

Decca.

OK, I'll come up with something towards the weekend. Right now I'm trying to squeeze some exotic truck designs into our Australian B Double Regulations....which appear to have changed by the month....

Reminds me of a time I was caught out flying a certain Gazelle ? (see my trip post) the cloud and rain just appeared in about 2 seconds flat. All I could do was call for a forced landing ( follow my training, Prolong aircraft and Aircrew life ) due to WX and done so at an airfield (thats how fast it came in) lucky I was close to an airfield. wether it is due to weather or darkness some things just don't go to plan.

Although the reports said I had time mother nature just thought otherwise.

you are right It does take a man to admit his mistakes and we should not get upset when these things happen, as long as we have lived, thats what the training is all about.

• 10 years later...

That’s a big read. Both your flight and your wife.

Even in my short flying career I’ve brought a plane in at last light. I had a great excuse. It was check ride that went overtime. I made the mistake I’d learned not to make and was warned about over and over. Fixated on the landing light lit up spot and didn’t have eyes down the runway with corresponding late flare. Stress wouldn’t have been as high as yours. Still examination stress is up there as it should be to see what you’re made of :)

You did an amazing job coping with the 2 go arounds as light faded. Problem solving the windsock read under severe stress for third attempt. I’m not sure I’d have handled it as well. As you’ve indicated it’s all experience and I now have a bit thanks to recreational flying. All good! Now we just have to get this bloody virus behind us. Can’t believe I start each day with Coronavirus Update (Live): 471,468 Cases and 21,295 Deaths from COVID-19 Virus Outbreak - Worldometer and hope to see dwindling numbers where my friends and family are. Australia, USA and Taiwan. Taiwan is good. Australia okay? USA is a worry!

Fixated on the landing light lit up spot and didn’t have eyes down the runway with corresponding late flare. Stress wouldn’t have been as high as yours. Still examination stress is up there as it should be to see what you’re made of :)

Late round out.? Flare before round out wouldn’t have gone well.

Guest Machtuk

That's a good tale ?I'm of the belief that night landings ought to be part of the training curriculum for this very reason. I used to fly at RID in the early 80's, was a grass strip with tall pine trees at the Nth end back then, crazy Jacko was a real character!?