Having your own aircraft

Admin

Are you going to buy an aircraft or replace one you already have?  

159 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to buy an aircraft or replace one you already have?

• I hope to buy one in the next 12mths
    • I hope to buy one within 2 years
    • I hope to buy one within 5 years
    • One day I hope to buy my own aircraft
    • I will replace mine if a better one comes along
    • I am more then happy with my current aircraft
    • I have no intention of owning my own aircraft

Well this weeks poll will be interesting in gauging what the state of the industry is in.

There are arguments for and against having your own aircraft, personally I feel you just can't pass on the freedoms of having your own so where do you stand on if/when you may get in to having your own aircraft?

• Like 1

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am now on my second aircraft. My first was a trike. I think there is no substitue for having access to an aircraft when the weather, your health and schedule coincide. Having to forward book a rental and hope that the weather will cooperate not only doesn't often work out, but it's expensive and limits your flying.

Having said that, owning an aircraft is not a cheap option, even a recreational aircraft that you can maintain yourself.

• Like 1

I hope to buy my own within the next twelve months, for all the reasons cscotthendy outlined above.. It's probably a cheaper option long term to rent, but I want the freedom to fly where and when I want, including overnight stays if I find somewhere nice

• Like 1

I haven't voted on this but having owned and flown a few, and seen some crook ones I feel the safety aspect of owning your own is the biggest thing in it's favour. That way you know all of it's operational history. Also if you share a hangar make sure they don't bang aircraft into each other. Ideally have your own hangar. This all has a cost, which can be considerable, otherwise use good school aircraft that are looked after. Nev

• Like 1

Much as I love the Skylark, I have buggered my shoulders and while I keep climbing in & out of this aircraft they will only continue to get worse.

Soon the Skylark will be on the market & I will be looking at something that I find easier to get in & out of, ie not have to lower myself down into a low wing. Looks like I'll be shopping for a high wing.

• Like 1

Apart from having bad visability in a turn they are good things. The strut can get in the way, but it is there to keep the wing on.Go the full hog and get rid of the nosewheel.. Nev

Hey Nev, it will take some getting used to, I have over 500 hours and only about 10 of them in high wings.

Re the tail wheel - I would love to, but I really need something reasonably quick ( I do a fair bit of X-Country ) and it seems high wing + tail wheel + fast don't often go together.

• Like 1

Maybe there is going to be a Jabiru in your life. Do you fit into a 230?

I won't own anything with their engine, I have seen with my own eyes way to many problems.

• Like 1

Mick, check out a Gardan Minicab if you can - I'm a reasonably largish fellow (6'2"/90kg) and have no worries fitting into my Minicab with an equally largish fellow seated next to me. Its got reasonable cruise figures (80kt solo / 75kt dual @ 15l/hr) and flies nicely.

On the poll I voted 'I'm happy with the one I have' as yeah... I'm happy with it!

Cheers all - boingk

I will never be able to afford the aircraft with the specs I want of the shelf,so for me I'm keeping the dream alive by glueing sticks together at this stage.I will get there one day !

Jason

• Like 6

I am in the process of buying - main reason is that I like old aircraft - makes no financial sense but neither do many other leisure pastimes !

• Like 2

I got three on the go, I had started the build on my own design 95.10, when a fixer upper drifter came along (I'm well into the rebuild on that) then a cheap 95.10 needing some work came up. At least it is only a couple of weeks away from flying. My original build hasn't been touched in months.

I have owned a drifter previously, it was written off by a flying school, I really miss that one.

Mick, check out a Gardan Minicab if you can - I'm a reasonably largish fellow (6'2"/90kg) and have no worries fitting into my Minicab with an equally largish fellow seated next to me. Its got reasonable cruise figures (80kt solo / 75kt dual @ 15l/hr)Cheers all - boingk

Boingk, I am used to 115kt cruise with 4+ hours endurance excluding reserves

The Skylark is very roomy and ideally suited to tall pilots, it is just what I have done to my shoulders that is the problem. I flew this aicraft for 4 years comfortably before my injury.

The wife and I have worked bloody hard for a long time, the kids are sorted. A few good friends have been getting crook and falling off the perch so hey why not own one.

• Like 6