Having your own aircraft

Admin

Are you going to buy an aircraft or replace one you already have?  

159 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to buy an aircraft or replace one you already have?

• I hope to buy one in the next 12mths
    • I hope to buy one within 2 years
    • I hope to buy one within 5 years
    • One day I hope to buy my own aircraft
    • I will replace mine if a better one comes along
    • I am more then happy with my current aircraft
    • I have no intention of owning my own aircraft

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a huge advocate of hiring aircraft. Simple case of amortising the costs of running the aircraft over greater hours means the hourly cost is a lot cheaper. Takes a lot of hours hiring the school's Gazelle at $135/hour to even come close to breaking even on the ownership case. I also believe that a well used aircraft is a safer aircraft in many respects as it's getting more regular servicing and not sitting around rotting.Having seen the running costs of quite a few aircraft over many years and some of the bills that come up from time to time the only rational choice is to hire. If you find yourself a great organisation where the aircraft are treasured by all who fly them then you can achieve a sense of ownership without forking out the big bucks.

I had previously put together a spreadsheet proving to myself at least that it is indeed cheaper to hire than buy. But then I just decided to buy anyway.

2072398297_JabiruJ170CostofOwnership.JPG.4011776ffbd705c59b1263dfb664e517.JPG

The attached chart is based on the following cost estimates.

Non-Cash Costs

Opportunity Cost (6%)

Depreciation (variable based on hrs)

Cash Costs

Registration

Insurance

25 hour Oil & Filter Change (L2)

100 hourly (L2)

200 Hourly (L2)

Engine 500 hour top end overhaul

Engine Sink Fund (1,500 hrs)

Propeller Sink Fund (2,000 hrs)

Maintenance (ADs, tyres, Instruments, Misc)

Hangar hire (month)

Fuel 15L/hr @ $2.10

I believe all this stuff about how much your planes worth or how fast it goes is all crap, its like riding a motor bike. It doesn't matter what you ride as long as your out doing it and having a good time.

• Like 5

I believe all this stuff about how much your planes worth or how fast it goes is all crap, its like riding a motor bike. It doesn't matter what you ride as long as your out doing it and having a good time.

Agreed, but would you rather rent, buy, build or steal the bike?

rgmwa

Something that some may have experienced regarding the speed of an aircraft, the trip we did at Easter had four aircraft ,two were 70 knot cruise and two were around the high 80's and low 90's, I happened to be in one of the faster ones and found that after a 2.5 hr leg I would've landed and taxied to the fuel bowser by the time the slower aircraft were in the circuit!

Interesting observation mm

Guest nunans
I had previously put together a spreadsheet proving to myself at least that it is indeed cheaper to hire than buy. But then I just decided to buy anyway.[ATTACH=full]18608[/ATTACH]

The attached chart is based on the following cost estimates.

Non-Cash Costs

Opportunity Cost (6%)

Depreciation (variable based on hrs)

Cash Costs

Registration

Insurance

25 hour Oil & Filter Change (L2)

100 hourly (L2)

200 Hourly (L2)

Engine 500 hour top end overhaul

Engine Sink Fund (1,500 hrs)

Propeller Sink Fund (2,000 hrs)

Maintenance (ADs, tyres, Instruments, Misc)

Hangar hire (month)

Fuel 15L/hr @ $2.10

I done the same thing out of interest on a local J230 that is avialable to hire and worked out the hours to be flown per year in your own aircraft required to equal the cost per hour of the hire machine was over 200hrs. So unless you're flying ALOT then hiring is cheaper and buying is just because you want to, knowing that it's more money. I only did the numbers on the j230 and It doesn't mean much if the plane you want to fly isn't available for hire.

Hi all. at 60 and not much cash I learned in a tecnam and then went and bought a drifter at reasonable price

also found a hanger 10 min from home for $500 a year I have worked out that the difference between hire of the tecnam the fuel to drive 1hr there and 1hr back the drifter will be payed for after 120 hrs of flying, at the moment

90hrs drifter time, the advantage is that some of the experiences you have you are not going to get in a hired plane

like packing the back seat with camping gear jerry cans and push bike and flying away for a couple weeks.

I love the Drifter.. Mark

• Like 2

I couldn't give a flying fig how much ownership costs compared to renting. I have always wanted to build my own & that's what I am doing. I don't care how much it costs me to run it compared to renting because it is mine & I built it & I can spend whatever I like. I'm not even going to insure it. It's a passion & a dream & I am going to live it. I'm bloody sure I am not going to be the richest bloke in the cemetery.

• Like 9

depends on situation !!! for me it made NO sence at all to Hire fly at the costs when anyone,even us pensionersan buy a very cheap single seater ($3-6000 will do it) and also having ones own property(or permission) helps.,,saves travelling an hour to the local field and the cost,s for hiring theses days???? a neat lil single seat,2 stroke,low maintanence runs off the smell of an oily rag etc,,, and if one shoud find one lucky enough to(or has worked damn hard to) go get that dream...look around as I did for something lower market...I love that I can look outside and say Yep ill go for a fly today...or ahh I might pimp out my ride today..love customising instead of just throwing your old " custom"pillow in there for exta hight ...lol If you only fly once a month then fair enough but if you find your self hiring every weekend Id consider a cheap single as I did..fix her up,build up the hours,sell it to step up if you want as I did..started with a $2000,Bunyip and flew,fixed,sold,and stepped up to the thruster,flew,fixed,sold,stepped up to the supercat,flew,fixed,sold stepped up to the lightwing....hmmm wonder how long to get that RV?????wish.ha ha ha

• Like 1

No seriously, always wanted to have my own aircraft. Ive done a few hours in Pipers, Cessnas, Tecnam and Jabiru but for me it had to be a Morgan Aeroworks Cougar.

I did the research that was applicable to my needs and therefore I made the choice I have. Probably not everyones choice but I dont care as I dont care who else is flying what. But I do like to catch up and have a chat and it doesnt matter to me if they own, hired or borrowed the aircraft they are flying.

Fair enough reggie, but it goes without saying, and comment was sought.

No one really should make anyone feel stressed about their plane. ( I'm not saying you are by the way). We are all aviators. and should share the passion.. I have a preference for a certain type of aircraft, myself, but I have been asked many times what plane someone should purchase and it very much depends on the individual and their circumstances. I can't recall ever recommending my own preference for anyone elses situation. If someone asks me why I own what I do/have owned, I am happy to explain but I will usually mention the negatives as well as the positives.. Your choice of plane is quite difficult to get right, and my general view is to look and talk to people for as long as possible before buying and to have it looked at ( inspected) thoroughly by someone who is an "expert" on the type, prior to purchase. Nev

I am not trying to get AT anything. Merely contributing to the discussion as we all do. You may elect to read it again, and perhaps you will see what I am trying to say. . I expect we are talking at cross purposes, actually. Anything on the forum is read by many. My contribution is to aid people in their choice. Nothing more than that. Nev

Sorry Nev, Didnt mean to be abrupt. I was just trying to touch on how I made my choice and I believe everyone should do their own research and buy or hire to suit their own needs. By the way Im only too happy to pass on bad points as well as the good.

It's easy to get meanings wrong on forums. I never try to make anyone feel threatened intentionally but I do like some discussion. I have found myself having to read some posts 3 or more times before I get the meaning, and often rewrite mine to get rid of an ambiguity. . reggie is a nice name, That's probably why I posted. Hope your plane is everything you expect . a very personal thing a preference for a plane, and especially the decision to purchase it. Nev

Hi kgwilson I like the fact that you can build and I would love to and I have a couple of projects but I am even finding it hard to put time aside for these so having one that works so close is handy for me at this time. I wanted to fly ever since I was 10 probably thanks to reading biggles but with medical things in teenage years I thought I would never fly RAAus changed all that. flyerme wrote about starting at the bottom and working up but I am interested in going back to basics and I have 2 scouts and a winton jackaroo to play with.. Mark

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all ..Have I said something wrong to stop the comments?? Mark

Not at all, Mark,

Nev and Reggie decided they were both saying similar things from different sides of the table, so they kissed and made up, and everyone watching moved on... It happens, Mate... Don't worry 'bout it...