Having your own aircraft

Admin

Are you going to buy an aircraft or replace one you already have?  

159 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to buy an aircraft or replace one you already have?

• I hope to buy one in the next 12mths
    • I hope to buy one within 2 years
    • I hope to buy one within 5 years
    • One day I hope to buy my own aircraft
    • I will replace mine if a better one comes along
    • I am more then happy with my current aircraft
    • I have no intention of owning my own aircraft

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a Jabiru 170c. I was learning to fly in it now I own it. Not going to make too many people happy as everyone wants to fly that particular aircraft. LOL

Well the Club will just have to purchase another new one.012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Alan.

There is a couple of ways of looking at 'plane ownership. You might firstly do a cost benefit analysis, and determine the economic costs associated with ownership vs rental. But secondly, and more relevant for me, are the intangible benefits which have to be considered. I do approx 100 hrs a year, usually in flights of about 1 hours duration. I want a 'plane to be available when I want it, not when it is convenient for the school. I wouldn't see myself investing much time in cleaning school planes, but I can be found regularly washing my own on days when the weather makes flying impossible. If you own your own 'plane, then for good or bad, you are master of your own destiny. Some people are content to visit the local art gallery, others want paintings on their own walls. That is why I am buying a new Thruster.

Owning your own plane gives you much cheaper flying. I don't know how I would be able to afford to fly if I had to hire. Get the sort of plane you want and care for it yourself. I havn't worked out running costs for my plane but avgas at about 10l hr is say $20; oil at $60 per change, plugs at $30 per change adds up to less than $30 per hour. Cost of plane $25ooo at 5% is $1250 for 100 hours is $12.5.

I know this is very simplistic and maybe someone else has good figures, but I think if you can stand the initial expense you will be far better off owning, than renting.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have had my plane (or powered parachute as pylon500 calls it) for 6 months but would really like to find a Titan Tornado. Done about 60 hours of flying the past 12 months so it pays to have my own rather than try to fit in with other people when the conditions are good.