A new Nynja in the area

cscotthendry

021_nod.gif.30c66a33e1ed960b5b5d3fc7b345b58d.gif1698434870_Nynjainflight.JPG.b4d3fe03d7e2778106f0b6498bc5bb62.JPG

How exciting for you. But you know it didn't really happen without photos.

Hi Geoff image attached. Great fun having her in the air and found her behavour and control responce better than expected; looking forward to the next 23 hours and then finishing X/C and travelling further afield. Deffinately a good aircraft for me. Look forward to catching up sometime at a fly in.

Cheers

Mike

Congratulations Mike. Your Nynja looks great and now flies very nicely after some minor adjustments. Enjoy flying your new Nynja I know you will love it. Don't envy you having to do 25 hours just in the training area but have fun anyway. Greg.

Thanks again Greg for all the assistance and advice and the final adjustments you made to have her flying great. Will keep you up to date with my progress flying off the remainder of the 25 hours. Look forward to getting down to your home air field early part of next year. Best regards and good flying weather. Mike.

Mike:Congratulations and have many happy flying hours in your new Nynja. They are very snappy, predictable flyers. The plane is a credit to you and I hope to catch up with you at a fly in soon. Maybe Old Station?

Will deffinately catch up. I plan to get to Old station early so won't miss it. I'll fly around the Callide Dawson area and base at the CQGC for a day or 2. They have a 1800ft grass strip and rooms, cooking, showers etc.

Cheers and thanks agin for sharing your build methods and ideas and also the engine hobbs feed works a treat so have an airframe and separate engine Hobb meters (Two were in the kit)

Best regards

Mike

• Like 1

Congratulations Mike on getting your Nynja up and flying, I know after flying around with Scott they are very nice to fly....so have a great time and hopefully we will meet up again at Old Station...011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

David

• Like 1

021_nod.gif.30c66a33e1ed960b5b5d3fc7b345b58d.gif[ATTACH=full]38682[/ATTACH]Hi Geoff image attached. Great fun having her in the air and found her behavour and control responce better than expected; looking forward to the next 23 hours and then finishing X/C and travelling further afield. Deffinately a good aircraft for me. Look forward to catching up sometime at a fly in.

Cheers

Mike

Did the second flight in the Nynja this morning in the training area around Marian west of Mackay. 1.4 hours and all going great will repeat tomorrow. Not a big area so just cruising slowly in the good morning air. The Nynja responds great and is a delight to fly; its better than I expected so very happy with its performance. The forward vision is great whether climbing on takeoff or other times.

Cheers

Mike

P1090060.JPG.5803fff06aee852101485229253f07eb.JPG

P1090014.JPG.a274d36b38369a89d36ccce3c9aca3f5.JPG

P1090036.JPG.74e5ab9a8431f9d748d1c7b1a04f1600.JPG

P1090045.JPG.5f82bd6505c077e33a3b855c34b7ea2a.JPG

• Like 1

Did the second flight in the Nynja this morning in the training area around Marian west of Mackay. 1.4 hours and all going great will repeat tomorrow. Not a big area so just cruising slowly in the good morning air. The Nynja responds great and is a delight to fly; its better than I expected so very happy with its performance. The forward vision is great whether climbing on takeoff or other times.Cheers

Mike

I fitted in another flight this morning before work. another 1.4 hours. At 5.9 hours now; was hoping to crack the 6 hours but had to get down and get to work :( I'll corsen up the prop tomorrow after my flight other than that she is sweet to fly and responds nicely.

Cheers

Mike

Mike:

I know how you are feeling right now. It is the top of the pops to build your own plane and then fly it. You know every nut and bolt and your experience will stand you in good stead and keep you safe in the air. When (if) the time comes and you move to another airplane, you will be so much more involved and knowledgeable about what is good and what is not so good in an airplane. Building the Nynja taught me so much about aircraft ways and techniques. I think that anyone who aspires to own an airplane should build at least one. Anyone who has built their own airplane will be a better maintainer and possibly a better pilot for it.

• Agree 1
  • Helpful 1

Did the second flight in the Nynja this morning in the training area around Marian west of Mackay. 1.4 hours and all going great will repeat tomorrow. Not a big area so just cruising slowly in the good morning air. The Nynja responds great and is a delight to fly; its better than I expected so very happy with its performance. The forward vision is great whether climbing on takeoff or other times.Cheers

Mike

Nice, may you have many more happy 1.4 hour flights in your new bird!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Mike:I know how you are feeling right now. It is the top of the pops to build your own plane and then fly it. You know every nut and bolt and your experience will stand you in good stead and keep you safe in the air. When (if) the time comes and you move to another airplane, you will be so much more involved and knowledgeable about what is good and what is not so good in an airplane. Building the Nynja taught me so much about aircraft ways and techniques. I think that anyone who aspires to own an airplane should build at least one. Anyone who has built their own airplane will be a better maintainer and possibly a better pilot for it.

Hi Scott

Agree; an example was when the isolation switch proved faulty, I knew exactly what wires went where (I was looking for a disconnected wire not a faulty isolation switch; but hey that's life when murphy is playing games:)

Medium rain (great for the farmers up here) this morning so just did some minor things to the Nynja, re worked the map pockets I put on the side of the console and pasted a prompt card - jargon and transponder stuff. Probably no flying tomorrow but Monday and Tuesday mornings look ok. Picked up a cross country book from our CFI today so i'm busy brushing up to do my Nav paper and then complete the final XC flights. If weather no good I'll go for a fish Monday afternoon. Only went twice this year with building the Nynja and other family things taking up my time. Did get a PB barra though just over a month ago. 19 kg and 30mm under max allowable length. Barra season closed from 1st November so no more this year. Hope you have good weather and nice flights. I've got the first 3 t/offs and landings on camera video and i'm sending a copy to Greg for his collection.

Cheers

Mike

662025594_Barra2015Reducedsizeforemail.JPG.75e0bd99323bc4dd4ee6bde96d4da041.JPG

• Like 3

Great stuff Mike...looks like we'll be putting you on the list for Old a Station and Thangool 2016 ?.......

HI Ross

Yes to both; definately. Save a tiedown spot next to yours. I'll add the the northerners flight numbers and i'm planning to go down a few days early if weather good and get around the Callide Dawon area a bit as I can stay at the CQGC gliding club that has good ammenities.

Did another 0.4 this morning; could see a wide dark air mass approachin so cut the flighy short and landed then into hangar. About 25 minutes later some good rain arrived again.

Got tomorrow and Tuesday off so hoping for good weather to fly off some more hours.

Regards

Mike

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

P1090306.JPG.f4c33a0555338020ebdc9e82a2477fa4.JPG

I have been getting the hours up, 12.6 at present (1/2 way to the 25hrs). Got out to the coast and alls going great. Had some visitors on Sunday. Can't wait until I can return a visit to their airfields. Re pitched the prop today and I'll get the compass adjusted spot on over the next few flights ready for some xc.

Cheers

Mike

P1090313.JPG.e0a7d29e46ea578c60012e0c629bc42d.JPG

P1090242.JPG.79f2610741e291bedd58293959a4fb77.JPG

P1090268.JPG.cd99bfc7d21af9895f0a817970e943cd.JPG

P1090274.JPG.4db7ce15e4c084d7369b5235e90756fd.JPG

P1090304.JPG.021ceed035d256a269628c1a31f3e67b.JPG

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update the Nynja is performing flawlesly. Eng clocked up 25.1 hours this morning after a 2.4 hour flight and the air frame has 21 hours. Did the oil, filter, mag plug etc service after the flight and is now ready for the next 4 hours; then I can let RAA know the 25 hours has been flown and take my wife for her first flight. The only changes I have made is to reposition the compass to the front of the instrument panel and it's now adjusted ready for cross country flights.

Cheers

Mike

• Like 4

Hi Mike,

Congratulations. Must be a hugely satisfying time for you; and well deserved.

You say you moved the compass after testing. Can you explain/show from where to where, exactly. And for what reasons? Ease of viewing? To better avoid interference?

And what methods did you use to calibrate it to your satisfaction?

Thanks,

gary.

Hi Mike,Congratulations. Must be a hugely satisfying time for you; and well deserved.

You say you moved the compass after testing. Can you explain/show from where to where, exactly. And for what reasons? [see below.] Ease of viewing? [better.] To better avoid interference? [Yep.]

And what methods did you use to calibrate it to your satisfaction?

Thanks,

gary.

Hi Gary

I first put it up at the firewall end of the top piece of the binnacle as I had seen that on another aircraft. However as my starter solenoid and the regulator is under there it was affected by about 25 degrees on starting the engine. So I moved it two days ago to the front of the binnacle top and it is not effected by operation as it does not move when switches are turned on and engine running. To swing the compass I set up transit alignment bearings off the map features [ eg bridge over river on VTC to a beacon on a mountian, cross roads to a sugar mill etc.] and flew those and adjusted the compass using an alunimum screw driver. It takes a little time but the effort is worth it. I have to do a further 4 hours of cross country and the required 2 hours solo x/c, so electronic gps displays are out.

Images arn't the best but shows were the compass was at the firewall end and now above the instruments plus were the start solenoid and regulator are located.

I am extremely surprised at the Skyranger Nynja's comfort, roominess and flying feel; certainly a great line of aircraft models.

Regards

Mike

1784898913_Compassreduced.JPG.b62894d1b3a676573a22e3d93aa7179a.JPG

Panel.JPG.280a92e6f831d683296099c59621aafc.JPG

320975268_RegRect.JPG.00531a370c18325ca3651c3fa24381a3.JPG

Thanks for the info and pics, Mike.

That's just what I wanted to know. I have a compass in the same place you did (at first) with the same problems. That venerable (and mandatory) gizmo does just one thing, so we may as well set it up to do it right.

And the method of calibration you used makes a lot of sense. With ground compass swinging, I suppose you never know if the mix of cockpit magnetic interference will match cruise flight values. And flying gps rectangles and doing the maths seems like quite a complicated exercise.

Anyway, all the best.

Thanks for the info and pics, Mike.That's just what I wanted to know. I have a compass in the same place you did (at first) with the same problems. That venerable (and mandatory) gizmo does just one thing, so we may as well set it up to do it right.

And the method of calibration you used makes a lot of sense. With ground compass swinging, I suppose you never know if the mix of cockpit magnetic interference will match cruise flight values. And flying gps rectangles and doing the maths seems like quite a complicated exercise.

Anyway, all the best.

No worries. As some extra info I mounted the compass bracket onto a piece of aluminium bar 40mm by 1.6mm and that is attached to the binicale top using the existing top screws [2 one either side at 300mm between and its tight. I'll take some better images tomorrow and post. Glad to be of help as I got plenty of ideas from Greg, Scott, Steve and other Skyranger and Nynja owners.

Re the transits, I line up over the first feature and fly direct to the other and compare the compass reading and make small adjustments; it also passes the time a bit as I'm flying off the 25 hours.

Cheers

Mike

So you flew the engine for 4.1 hours without the aircraft 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif.I am really happy Blueadventures, that you have nearly reached the 25 hour milestone. You certainly did that in pretty quick time. Fantastic!

Hi 80kts

That's right. Have two hobbs one for engine hours and one for airframe hours only activated above 40 knots. [Half of 80 knots :) ] Usual warm up and taxi and first ground run times don't record on the a/f hobbs. Gets the engine serviced on time and keeps the airframe hours correct and younger.

Cheers and good flying.

Mike

• Informative 1