Very important!....Have you recieved your monthly magazine yet?

Guest Andys@coffs

Guest Andys@coffs

People

Have you received your magazine yet which will include a notice of 4 special resolutions that we need passed at the AGM this year on the gold coast.

If you vote for nothing else this year regarding RAA, please vote for these special resolutions.

The aim of the 4 at the end of the day is to fix some anomalies and to aim to move us towards even greater transparency. We need to achieve a really high pass mark to get these across the lines, 75% of all votes must be yes, for each of these to succeed.

Hopefully they are clear as to why we want them through, but in any event if there are any questions at al please ask David Issac, or me here, or ring Don Ramsay to discuss with him.

It’s important to understand that these 4 proposals were the phase 1 outcomes of the constitutional review committee and these would have been put forward under that auspice had Don not resigned and the board then shut down the CRC. I mention that only that its fact, it really is irrelevant to the 4 special resolutions, they, IMHO stand on their own 2 feet no matter who and how they are proposed.

So, what do you reckon, worth voting for, or not. If not, why not?

Andy

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

75% of all votes must be yes, for each of these to succeed. Andy

I have not received my mag yet so have not seen the contents of this. Why does it need 75% of vote to be successful?

I have not received it yet either.I hope it arrives today or tomorrow. I leave home for two weeks starting wednesday for work.I am hoping to have it before I leave. I have previously check my roster and I will be out at Chinchilla for work when the Gold Coast AGM is on.Which is a real bummer.I wanted to go to it.

Guest Andys@coffs
I have not received my mag yet so have not seen the contents of this. Why does it need 75% of vote to be successful?.

Mick the 75% pass is a legislated percentage. Its specifically called out in the A.C.T Incorporated associations act. Its not anyone trying to be funny, or playing silly buggers. It is however 75% of those that vote, not 75% of the toal members. As such it may only take a dozen who are dead set against (and who vote that way) to knock these on the head if the majority cant be bothered....

Hence my call for all to voice an opinion via the proxy or even better turn up in person.

My mag was in the letterbox this morning and being rural I suspect that most will be delieverd already, or within a day or so.

For those that cant wait, see attached special resolutions.

Andy

P.S please do not use the SR Proxy form. Use the one that comes with your magazine, the SR Proxy, if it gets up will apply in the future but doesnt yet apply.

Spec Res Bylaw amends dels.docx

Spec Res Natfly GM.docx

Spec Res No of Mems 4 a GM.docx

Spec Res Proxy Amend.docx

Spec Res Natfly GM.docx

Spec Res Natfly GM.docx

Guest Andys@coffs
Yes I have received my mag today and will vote yes. Specially the one about needing 5% to call a meeting. What a joke that is.Jim.

I guess back in the day 5% then might have equated to 8 members. 550 is a bit of an ask when as a shareholder of Telstra, as an example, you only need 99 other likeminded shareholders to call a general meeting of that organisation...... If 100 shareholders can exercise a please explain for Telstra then it would be beyond me why 100 RAA members should be insufficient to ask the same of RAA management. I dont believe it was engineered that way, rather our constituion became a victim of our own success.

Thanks for the response.

Andy

Please everyone, get behind this and have a say in the way YOUR Association is run...change is needed but not just for change sake but these couple of small changes to the constitution is simply the much needed "maintenance" that must be done from time to time otherwise the RAAus will end up in an even bigger mess.

Pardon the dumb question, but who is guaranteed to be at the meeting that I can nominate as the proxy? Are they legally bound to vote as I request, or do I need to find someone who is going to be there and will follow instructions?

Andys@coffs' date=' post: 232375, member: 94[/email']]The aim of the 4 at the end of the day is to fix some anomalies and to aim to move us towards even greater transparency. We need to achieve a really high pass mark to get these across the lines, 75% of all votes must be yes, for each of these to succeed.

It's a wonderful ideal to achieve this in the RA Aus: I hope it's achieved ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>> Vote accordingly!

transparency.jpg.4e34d698de86e7004e2ca65953c3ff64.jpg

Guest Howard Hughes

*thread drift*

Is it possible to get a subscription to the magazine without being a member?

Or do I need to become a non-flying member?

Guest Andys@coffs

So I guess it will come as no real suprise that I will be attending........providing that the last 3 years of flood, pestilence and general PIA weather doesnt prevent me driving or ideally flying there :<)

That said, I would be amazed if the majority of QLD andd NSW board members arent there and they have the ability to represent you (at least I hope thats why we put them in!!!)

The proxy form is up for change because the current one has issues (IMHO) so please make sure you read and understand every word on the current form and comply exactly with the instructions I believe those that dont exactly comply have their vote ruled as Null and void.....

Andrew Saywell

Guest Andys@coffs

Ok. Most of these have been discussed in these forums over the last 12 -24 months but let me see if I can summarise....

1) By-law special resolution: At present the board can make bylaws (think of these as additional rules that the board can make without having to go through the membership at a General Meeting for approval) that they believe are needed for the the running of the organisation. If they make a new rule they have to advise the membership and can only enact the new rule 30 days later. The purpose of the need for 30 days notice is that if the membership object to that rule they can go through the motions of calling a general meeting and then via the constituional rights having that by-law removed. There are currently no such checks and balances for By-law changes or deletions. It was this anomoly that was part and parcel of the "secrecy constraints" that was tried to be enforced on board members which the general membership (or at least the very small minority that were aware of it) got really uptight about a year or so ago. The SR that Don, David and I put up will prevent the same form of "abuse" happening again because the same levels of scrutiny will apply to any effective change in By-laws In other words greater transparency will be achieved. However for this change to be effective and actually have some bite to it the membership must practically be able to call for a general meeting which leads on to:-

2) Number of Members required to call a General Meeting: At present the constituion requires that 5% of the total membership base must support a call for a general meeting. When we were a much smaller organisation that rule was very appropriate but is now completely inappropriate and as such the general members of the organisation are effectively unable to call a general meeting. Why is it now inappropriate? Thats because our organisation is an organisation of members who in general all do there own thing, we rarely if ever congregate in large numbers and as such the ability to communicate enmass isnt there (I guess thats why forums such as this are very effective). If we need 5% of 11,000 members to call a GM. that means someone suggesting its time we got together in a general meeting and have a "please explain" session with our management needs to find 550 members who share the same view. How on earth would people do that? The magazine? No that is entirely vetted each month by the board before being released to print. This forum, potentially but should this forum have that purpose? Its Ian's private forum not the organisations. Why is this important? well calling a General meeting isnt something I expect to see used very often or potentially at all, however the ability to have that right in place has the same role to play in global context as a nuclear deterant. I dont believe any of the superpowers build nuclear weapons with a view to actually using them, but they are there to keep the idiots of the world in line. Our Special resolution seeks to cap the numbers required to call a GM to 100 members. 100 members is still a tough ask. I dont know about you but I personally would struggle to think of 20 people that are members that I have interacted with (other than through this forum) as such 100 is much less than todays 550 or tomorrows 700 but still big enough that no single aeroclub or sub faction can drive a sub agenda. As Don and I have said before within the corporate world most large enterprises only need 100 shareholders with a common view to exercise a board please explain and I dont think a flying orgabnisation should be subject to rules more onerous than enterprises have to face. Ultimately greater transaprency through threat of action where the threat is real, not imaginary as it is today.

3) Proxy Special resolution: The current proxy form makes a member determine which way they will vote before the arguments for and against are heard at the general meeting. The replacement form allows a member to vote for or against (as is), or more importantly allows the carefully chosen members proxy to hear the arguments for and against and then vote as a result of the argument, not inspite of it. This simply expands the rights a member who cant attend a General Meeting has. If they trust the Proxy they are appointing then their vote may well be more informed than it otherwise would be.

4) NATFLY GM: I think this one is self explainitory, but my spin on it is that as I said above we are an organisation of individuals who do there own thing in their aircraft and rarely gather together enmass. Natfly is an exception and one that shouldnt be wasted for the purposes of hearing from our management how things are going. People may well say but thats what the magazine is for, however bear in mind that the magazine is also sold in newsagents to non members. As such things like discussions of current litigation and risks that the organisation is facing cant easily be discussed in the open. A General Meeting where attendance is limited to members has no such constraints ( or practically less constraints). I suspect few members are aware of the amount and scope of litigation that is ongoing and looming and I would ask why is that? why shouldnt we know and understand the risks to the organisation and in the case of the committee to their own personal finances? A GM cost money as Steve R rightly pointed out in his reply in the magazine but in the overall scheme of things rarely does something good happen with out some costs. Its my view that the costs when compared to the good become relatively insignificant.

Hope that clears it up.

Andy

Thanks Ian, filling it out now!012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Pay an extra $100 and you get full RaAus membership..Make the short drive down to jaspers and after some good training and a few (not so good ) coffee's, I may even send you solo... Your ATPL will be put to good use in the bantam...hehehe...ccaawwnnn...You know you wanna....

• Like 1

Guest Howard Hughes

I'd like to see that! Although the eldest (4yo) does have a half hour in the right seat of a B350!012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Guest Andys@coffs

Hongie

I'm happy to be your and anyone elses proxy if needed unless someone else sticks up their hand that you prefer.

Im pretty sure its clear but if not, Im the one that seconded each proposal.....Im not sure that makes a diffrence but in any event best its in the clear for anyone to see.

Please make sure you read and follow the proxy instruction sheet exactly, people havent historically and as a result vote hasnt been counted. If you want my email its asaywell(usual)esc(dot)net(dot)au (EDIT: for my home address details, or PM me)

Regards

Andrew Saywell (My RAA member number is against each of the proposals in the magazine...except one which they got wrong)