Im nominating for the Victorian Board Rep.

Spriteah

Intention to run for RAA board for the Victorian Vacancy

Please allow me to introduce myself, my name is Jim Tatlock and I am a keen sports aviator. I am a middle aged father of two young children. In my spare time, in addition to flying, I operate my own small business providing Avionics/Electrical Technician (L2) services in Victoria.

Thank you for taking the time to review my credentials, I hope that we share the same passion in the RAA and the desire to see the organisation prosper. For this reason I seek your support in my nomination for the position of Victorian representative on the RAA board.

My association with flying commenced at a relatively young age of 16, largely through the Scouting organisation. In 2007 I was re-introduced to flying, rekindling the relationship and falling in love. I have since completed my RAA tickets, GA License and am currently training towards becoming a RAA Instructor. I own a share in both a Hanuman X-air and a Cessna 172 and am building my own Vans RV12 (slowly).

I am a fully qualified process operator at a large Victorian Refinery, prior to this I served in the Victorian Police force for over ten years.

I am experienced at representing the views of members:

· I currently represent 200+ Operations personnel in many tiers of safety committees.

· Held the position of President and Secretary of the Geelong Sports.

· Student representative Box Hill Tafe College Council, representing a large student body.

I believe that I have the ability to understand the differing views of RAA members, that some wish to fly with limited restriction, whilst others wish to expand the horizon. I do believe we as RAA pilots can achieve both with balance.

I offer the following attributes to supplement the RAA board,

· Strong Communication: Balanced representation of the Members of Victoria.

· Accountable: Strong work ethic to ensure actions are accomplished.

· Legality: My current and previous occupations have given me a knowledge of Law both corporate and criminal. I promote that the Association always acts in a manner that complies with the “SELL” principle. Is it Safe, Ethical, Logical and Legal.

· Stability: My interest in representing the RAA members is based on my involvement in Recreational flying. With this in mind I will always work for the betterment of the RAA either as a serving board member or at my local club.

· Integrity: I believe that openness and truthfulness is the best approach in any situation, and that much more can be achieved with sharing. I will always endeavour to keep the membership up to date with current events that are being discussed by the board.

In summary, we are extremely fortunate to have the ability to ‘choose’ to fly many different aircraft in the Australian skies. There are lots of countries where this is a pipe dream. I believe we need to protect those privileges and demonstrate to the regulators (CASA) that we can be safe, competent and operate within the laws and regulations governing the RAA. I hope you will support me in my endeavour to assist the board with the future direction of the RAA.

I can be contacted on Mobile 0403228986 or email [email protected] if you wish to discuss this expression of interest or any other matter.

Regards and safe flying

Jim Tatlock.

The current issues is very open fly. Please ask a specific question. I have spoken with current board members and read all the forums. I believe we need some new people in the equation and try to build some stability. If elected that will be one of my goals.

I believe we need to protect those privileges and demonstrate to the regulators (CASA) that we can be safe, competent and operate within the laws and regulations governing the RAA.

Heh "safe, competent and operate within the laws and regulations" you hoping CASA might follow if we in RAAus set a good example?

All the best Jim, and I hope if elected you are in for the long haul.

Guest Maj Millard

Good luck Jim..............please don't forget the membership base is what made AUF/RAAus the organization it is now, and they are the one's who need to be represented, and remembered. Do not make the mistake of getting into the 'them/us' power-trip that some past board members have, to their demise !..Middo is still in there doing his thing as he has been since day one. you'd do well to get to know him if you don't already..Good luck..................Cheers Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Andys@coffs
Hi Jim, what's the chances of a controlled airspace endorsement for raa? I have plane with radio and transponder and all the bits. We should be able to do a controlled airspace endorsement, just my thoughts.

Andrew, you probably know this already but a "radio and transponder and all the bits" of itself is insufficient. The transponder and (more importantly) the encoder and your altimeter need to be LAME checked every 2 years with a "suck and blow machine" so that when your altimeter and (in a round about way)transponder says you are at 1000ft then that will be the same 1000ft that everyone else would read were they at that altitude as well. without calibration how will you know that:-

• Your transponder is actually transmitting at all or if it is, transmitting the right codes

• Your encoded altitude is accurate.

I too have all the bits but at present they are just filling a hole in the panel because not calibrated in 2 years means it has to remain off.

Andy

Thanks Andy,

All the bits are up to spec and up to date. I guess I'm just seeing if RAA will introduce a CTA endorsement, or if the only way through will be to do a ppl and then go with the CTA endorsement that way. I'm just looking forward to a simpler way of entering controled space without in my raa aircraft without doing ppl. I guess a current medical would also be required....

Hi Jim, what's the chances of a controlled airspace endorsement for raa? I have plane with radio and transponder and all the bits. We should be able to do a controlled airspace endorsement, just my thoughts.

I dont think its a matter of the RAA to introduce a CTA endorsement, Its a matter of CASA changing the rules & I wouldnt bet your house on that one happening.My Xair is VH reg I have to have a instrument 8 every 2 years. to calibrate the transponder, ALT, ASI.

Guest Andys@coffs

Its also worth mentioning that the Altimeter and other things connected to the pitot static and pressure lines need to be TSO'd instruments so that they can be calibrated. Cheap sh!t chinese altimeters and ASI's (which 90% of RAA aircraft have fitted) dont have available manuals or parts lists and as such many LAME's refuse to adjust these. If they are in calibration without adjustment, they may let them through, if they have to adjust something then they may baulk at signing it off

Andy