SCHOOL - 1957 vs. 2012

kgwilson

Scenario:

Johnny and Mark get into a fight after school.

1957 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up best friends.

2012 - Police called, arrests Johnny and Mark. Charge them with assault, both expelled even though Johnny started it. Both children go to anger management programs for 3 months. School governors hold meeting to implement bullying prevention programmes

Scenario:

Robbie won't be still in class, disrupts other students.

1957 - Robbie sent to office and given 6 of the best by the Principal. Returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.

2012 - Robbie given huge doses of Ritalin. Becomes a zombie. Tested for ADHD. Robbie's parents get fortnightly disability payments and school gets extra funding from government because Robbie has a disability.

Scenario:

Billy breaks a window in his neighbour's car and his dad gives him a whipping with his belt.

1957 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.

2012 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy removed to foster care and joins a gang.

Scenario:

Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.

1957 - Mark gets glass of water from principal to take aspirin with.

2012 - Police called, Mark expelled from school for drug taking. Car searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario:

Johnny takes apart leftover fireworks from Guy Fawkes night, puts them in a paint tin & blows up a wasp's nest.

1957 - Wasps die.

2012- Police & Anti-Terrorism Squad called. Johnny charged with domestic terrorism, investigate parents, siblings removed from home, computers confiscated. Johnny's dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario:

Johnny falls while running during morning break and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.

1957 - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.

2012 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy.

• Like 5

Guest Howard Hughes

I remeber seeing something similar except the answer to each was: 'Got six of the best and went on to becoming a fuctioning member of society'!

Yep, but if you speak out you're a racist, homophobic or a pedo, even if you speak out against rising electrcity rates! Vote ME in as your benevolent dictator and see how things change. Yes, you may fear me, but you WILL be happy.

• Like 1

I have always found it ironic that the Kids that became adults from the 1957 school system were the ones that were "in the drivers" seat and made the choices that led to the 2012 school system... What gives?

• Like 2

I have always found it ironic that the Kids that became adults from the 1957 school system were the ones that were "in the drivers" seat and made the choices that led to the 2012 school system... What gives?

I disagree. It's the 'new age' clowns that pushed those folks to one side and brought in their social experiments. Both NASA and JPL lamented the fact that the education system is not turning out the folks of the calibre churned out in the 50s, 60s and 70s. They said that twenty years ago. I know folks who (apart from shocking spelling) cannot recite the times tables. They are not dumb, they were simply not taught it. There are people out there who have a lot to answer for. If I were King....

I disagree. It's the 'new age' clowns that pushed those folks to one side and brought in their social experiments. Both NASA and JPL lamented the fact that the education system is not turning out the folks of the calibre churned out in the 50s, 60s and 70s. They said that twenty years ago. I know folks who (apart from shocking spelling) cannot recite the times tables. They are not dumb, they were simply not taught it. There are people out there who have a lot to answer for. If I were King....

Who exactly are these "New Age Clowns"... never heard of that band.

Seriously... I thought it was the Guvment that made these decisions... as voted for by the people. Democracy or something its called... lol

Bureaucrats make the day to day running decisions, not the politicians!

All too often this happens without the politician even knowing of the issue at hand, so no chance of influencing the decision. We have had infastructure constructed at our airport that the council ( airport owners ) were not even aware of.

I left school in 1985.The 1957 scenarios was they way I remembered it.I think the pansy stuff has only happened since 1990's.

The last time I got "The Cane" was in 1981... I think the practise was outlawed soon afterwards...

I must have been a really bad boy, cos I can remember getting the cane at least once a week from our maths teacher in primary school.

His name was "Cuts" Cullen. Not sure how he got that name......lol

I suppose that was better than the maths teacher in high school. His name was "Flick" Patterson and he had a horrible habit of picking his nose and rolling the outcome into little balls. His method of disposing of the little balls was to "flick" them at unruly or inattentative studentys, hence the nickname

I suppose that given the amount of punishment I received, it must have had an influence on me as I can still recite my times table and still remember how to use a logs table and do mental arithmatic

Whatever people say, I believe that it taught me that there are boundaries in life and whatever I do may have a consequence

I think that this is what is needed for some of todays youth

Apart from the fact that I lost my virginty earlier than some of my contemporaries, it did me no harm..harm..harm..harm....Oh damn, I need more medication 029_crazy.gif.9816c6ae32645165a9f09f734746de5f.gif029_crazy.gif.ebbc52a455bc8465c993e605ac0f576a.gif008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif008_roflmao.gif.1e95c9eb792c8fd2890ba5ff06d4e15c.gif008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

or scotch.......................

• Like 2

Yep, but if you speak out you're a racist, homophobic or a pedo, even if you speak out against rising electrcity rates! Vote ME in as your benevolent dictator and see how things change. Yes, you may fear me, but you WILL be happy.

Are you saying that: Being old fashoined means being better?

I was with you up to this point:

2012 -

Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in Prison.

Only men are sexual predators in 2012.

Well Gnarly, this only happened just over a month ago (in 2012, I might add):

POLICE have laid seven charges against a former female teacher at a northern beaches high school, who is accused of grooming a teenage male student for sex.

The woman, now 50, was a teacher at the school from 2005 to 2008 and allegedly engaged in sexual acts with the boy in a classroom and at various locations outside of school.

The boy, now 19, came forward to police with his parents in February.

The crime manager of Manly Local Area Command, Detective Inspector Luke Arthurs, said the allegations, if proved true, consisted of a ''gross breach of trust between a student and a teacher''. He said the alleged victim was undergoing counselling.

The woman was arrested at a unit block in Dee Why yesterday and taken to Dee Why police station.

Detective Inspector Arthurs said police had received ''intelligence'' the woman might have targeted others and called for anyone else who might have had ''an inappropriate'' relationship with a teacher in the area between 2003 and 2010 to come forward.

The woman taught at the school between 2005 and 2008 but was teaching at other schools on the northern beaches and north shore until 2010.

He also asked anyone who had heard of ''inappropriate relationships'' on school premises to come forward.

At this stage no one else was alleged to be involved, apart from the woman charged.

A spokesman for the Department of Education said the department would assist police in their investigation ''into allegations of historic child sexual offences at a northern beaches high school''.

From: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/teacher-charged-with-child-sex-abuse-20120622-20tef.html

Well Gnarly, this only happened just over a month ago (in 2012, I might add):POLICE have laid seven charges against a former female teacher at a northern beaches high school, who is accused of grooming a teenage male student for sex.

Lucky bugga. Why didnt that happen to me when I was a student:roflmao:008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif008_roflmao.gif.1e95c9eb792c8fd2890ba5ff06d4e15c.gif

I got the cane a fair few times too, and i honesty feel it tought me respect and disipline.

It was pretty much a school of hard knocks that I went to, and we had an (ex-army sergent major master) that used to really dish it out it it was deserved.

Sadly, he died suddenly. I attended his funerel, and was amazed at the number of the schools "real hard nuts" who also attended, and were transformed to tears saying what a great bloke he was, as he knocked some respect into them. There were no bad feelings at all.

Should I now adopt the 2000's attitude, and sue the school all these years later for mistreatment.

I think not.

And this one, a bit further south (also in 2012):

A Melbourne teacher is accused of sexually abusing a student and is facing several charges including rape.

Daphney Louise Matthews, 38, appeared briefly in Melbourne Magistrates Court this morning for a filing hearing.

The former history and legal studies teacher at Huntingtower School faces 16 charges made up of six counts of rape; six counts of sexual penetration of a 16 or 17-year-old under her care, supervision or authority; and one count each of assault, committing an indecent act with a child under 16, procuring a child under 16 for sexual penetration with herself, and persistent sexual abuse of a child under 16.

The offences relate to one complainant, who is a female.

Huntingtower is a co-educational Christian day and boarding school in Mount Waverley.

Matthews taught at the school for three years until her employment ended this year.

The offences are alleged to have occurred between January 1, 2008 and November 25 last year.

In court documents, police allege the offences occurred at Daylesford and Knoxfield.

The matter was adjourned for committal mention in April.

Source: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/female-teacher-on-samesex-rape-counts-20120224-1trr8.html

There was also a West Australian case this year but I don't know where this was published.

There was also a West Australian case this year but I don't know where this was published.

A female teacher in the Pilbara region has been charged with having sex with an underage male student.

Inspector Peter Morrissey said police claimed the woman, 24, took the boy, 15, to her house twice in December, where she had sex with him.

Following a police investigation, the woman was arrested yesterday evening and charged with two counts of sexual penetration of a child aged between 13 and 16, two of indecent dealing and two of inciting a child to engage in sexual behaviour.

She was bailed to appear in Karratha Magistrates Court on February 24.

Source: http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/pilbara-teacher-charged-with-having-sex-with-student-20100215-o17d.html

I got the cane a fair few times too, and i honesty feel it tought me respect and disipline.It was pretty much a school of hard knocks that I went to, and we had an (ex-army sergent major master) that used to really dish it out it it was deserved.

Sadly, he died suddenly. I attended his funerel, and was amazed at the number of the schools "real hard nuts" who also attended, and were transformed to tears saying what a great bloke he was, as he knocked some respect into them. There were no bad feelings at all.

I reckon it depends. I recall getting the cuts from a few psychopaths who just did it for fun. Then there was the one teacher that only ever gave me the cane once, but I can still remember what he said to me afterwards. Him, I respected. The others; waste of oxygen.

Not wishing to rain on too many it-was-better-when-we-were-young parades, but there was a helluva lot wrong back then just like there's a hellava lot wrong now. The only difference is that we only remember the good stuff from back then, and we only hear about the bad stuff from the shock jocks now. My daughters are both teachers and I reckon they do a pretty good job (and while I'm on a roll, until you've had an ADHD child and understand what is involved, pull yer collective heads in about the 'doped up on Ritalin' jibes. Go break a leg and then tell me that you don't think it should be treated...)

• Like 2