Torture...

Rules of the Air -

Rule 1: If it is not too windy, it will be too wet to fly today.

Rule 2: If it is not too windy or too wet, it will be too unstable to fly today.

Rule 3: If it is not too windy, too wet or too unstable, it will be too cold to fly today.

Rule 4: If it is not too windy, too wet, too unstable or too cold, the visibility will be too low to fly today.

Rule 5: If it is not too windy, too wet, too unstable, too cold or too murky to fly today, the aircraft will be unserviceable.

Rule 6: If it is calm, dry, stable, warm and clear today, and the aircraft is serviceable, you will have unbreakable commitments elsewhere.

• Like 2

When you are stuck at work and you check the weather at your local airfield cavok, wind 1-3 knots, and some inconsiderate person keeps circling overhead as if to taunt me.... 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

My weekend experience can provide a flip side.

Was tasked with flying our Lions District Governor and his wife the 270 Nm from his home at Boyup Brook to Esperance and return in our C172. Saturday's outward flight was in glorius weather, with a 30 Knot tailwind at 7500'. Being aware that a front was about to come through I cautioned them I could not promise them the same conditions for the return journey.

The forecast on Sunday stopped just short of including the kitchen sink. We turned it into a 500' AGL excercise and managed to keep the headwind to about 15 Knots. Forecast winds at 3000' were 320/40. Just about two thirds of the flight was concluded before the front made a diversion to Katanning and having the wheels in contact with terra firma look like an appealing option. A two hour wait for the front to pass and return to VFR conditions. We got underway and got to within 15 Nm of Boyup Brook to find the destination socked in that fine misty rain, into which no sane VFR pilot should ever venture. 180'd and back to Kojonup, from whence the DG and wife summoned road transport. They had just experienced both the benefits and pitfalls of travel by light aircraft on consecuitive days!!

Managed to work the remaining 120 Nm home, and got the 172 into the hangar before 12 beautiful mm of rain fell on our droughted Wheatbelt farm.

Today has sunshine in abundance, the countryside fresh after the rain, and close to dead calm. Was it really only a day earlier that severe wind, runways that would not obligingly line up with the wind, low cloud and rain give me such a five hour workout?