The elusive Petroni Propeller

Mr Mal

I have a Jab 2200 desperately in need of a good prop. Heard that a Rob Petroni in Bundaberg makes a very good prop for these motors and all accounts mentioning them have nothing but praise. Here is the sticker though - Where is Petroni Propellers and how do I contact them?

Appreciate any assistance in tracking down the elusive Petroni Propeller!

Rob is a one man show, only makes them as requesed

I tried for months to contact him and did no good

Be VERY careful with carbon fibre props on 2200. There has been a string of failures. Rob might have been ok though

6 cyl has no such problems.

• Winner 1

Mr Mal

I have a Rob Patroney 3 Blade ground adjustable prop on my 3300 SP6.

It has now done over 650 hours and is performing well.

Rob also makes a 2 Blade ground adjustable prop for the 3300 so you do have a choice.

I also live in Bundy and have been to see Rob several times to montior the prop's condition.

I have nothing but high praise for Rob and his props.

Safe Flying

Andrew (JabSP6)

I agree ,I have a 3 blade Patroney pro on my 6cyl Jab done 250 hrs with the prop and would not swap back to a wooden prop. Also fitted one to my brothers Lightning 150 hours the only maintenance required so far on both props was a clean and polish. I helped a friend fit a 2 blade one to his 4 cyl,it performs better than the Jab prop and smoother. The downside of these props is that they are weigh more.

Cheers Helmut

• 3 years later...

I have a Petroni Propeller on my Jabiru. Operating from mostly dirt strips and would like to reduce the constant little touch ups. Heard about 3m propeller tape and have sound advice to only run it half an inch over the leading edge so performance isn't impacted. Interested to hear about other experiences using this tape when using strips which are unkind to props. Any photos of application and Australian suppliers would be helpful.

I reckon a carbon prop would give you better performance but it is a reliability risk on a direct-drive engine like the 2200.

So my plan is to stick to wood since it must be gentler on the engine.

• Agree 1

There has been good sucess with carbon props on 3300 but a series of problems on 2200

Something to do with resonance..........

Jabirus fibreglass option seems to be going ok

I have a Petroni Propeller on my Jabiru. Operating from mostly dirt strips and would like to reduce the constant little touch ups. Heard about 3m propeller tape and have sound advice to only run it half an inch over the leading edge so performance isn't impacted. Interested to hear about other experiences using this tape when using strips which are unkind to props. Any photos of application and Australian suppliers would be helpful.

My Petroni is a 2 blade on a 3300, I am most curious about others experiences using the 3m propeller tape.

Hi, the sensenich wooden prop performs great on my J230. Picked up 150rpm static and cruises better as well.

With the 3 or 4 standard ones I have seen fitted to J230s, I agree perform quite well but at the cost of 10kts to cruise speed - consistent with a finer pitch.

With the 3 or 4 standard ones I have seen fitted to J230s, I agree perform quite well but at the cost of 10kts to cruise speed - consistent with a finer pitch.

Hi frank, that wasn't my experience I picked up a few knots in cruise. They are a few degrees finer IIRC but I believe the improvements come from the blade profile and the more rigid build.

I used to use the tapes that Bolly sold. One day they said that they were ceasing production, and anyway it was just cut from the stuff you get for your 4WD to stop stone chips. So I cut my own for a few years, until I was told that the thickness of it must be detracting from performance. Now I use 25mm plastic tape similar to Nitto electrical tape and it is easier to change over, which I do quite frequently.