Onex Story

winsor68

• 1 month later...

I couldnt think of another aircraft kit that is aerobatic, easy folding wings, uses a aerovee engine, (engine kit supplied by Sonex for about 7K) .Uses 6061 so is doesnt have to be primed/painted for corrosion resistance.All up about $22 K flyng in the USA. Here a bit more expensive, due to import costs etc.But not much.

Best bit is that Sonex now use alot of match hole technology in the onex kit. NO JIGS REQUIRED. Nice

The only down side is that it has been hit by the ugly stick a little bit.blink.gif.7ee21b69ed31ab2b1903acc52ec4cc3f.gif

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of the sonex looks, but the onex is very nice! Exchange rate is good for it now though isn't it? What extra costs would be incurred though if you were the first to bring one in? All the certification costs?

Ak

I'm not a fan of the sonex looks, but the onex is very nice! Exchange rate is good for it now though isn't it? What extra costs would be incurred though if you were the first to bring one in? All the certification costs?Ak

No certification costs. It is kit built. Have to pay GST on the goods and freight. I reckon here built , instruments etc around $25 to 30 K

I hope Garry Morgan, Howard Hughes, heck even Phil whatshisname at Jabiru(or his daughter) reads this... IMO the single seat and truly useful Ultralight aeroplane has a market... It is a shame that you have to spend the dollars overseas to get this "people's aeroplane"....

Guest Maj Millard

I took a good look at the Sonex (plural ?) at Natfly and was very impressed with structure etc. They are a great little aircraft that should be easy to assemble for the average Joe. The onex has a good look to it and appears even easier to build. I look foward to trying one on someday, as I feel they'll be a big success and will definetly take off (sic!)..................................................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif 011_clap.gif.c796ec930025ef6b94efb6b089d30b16.gif

It is a real shame IMO that Ra-Aus has gone after higher MTOWs, more Airspace access, and the rest rather than go for a simple factory built single seat sportmans aircraft class... something that you could fly away for no more than say $30 000 from the factory. Something that flying schools could buy as a second aircraft(or get two for the price of one LSA) and hire at reasonable rates to P plate pilots to build hours... I might be crazy but I reckon there would be a market.

• Like 1

Guest Maj Millard

This could work well....train pilots in the excellent Sonex 2-seat and solo pilots in the onex.....then sell them one pre-built or kit. I'm sure someone in the states is doing this already. The Onex has a winning look for sure.....................................................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif