Capitalism, a love affair

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No system works without proper management-communism, capitalism and other isms. In this financial meltdown, all the "holes in the cheeze" lined up bigtime.

Locally we've had small financial meldowns. Retirees collectively loosing life saving on the charms of some energetic financial "advisor". Property schemes to past pine plantation schemes promised the same thing-near instant wealth without having to work hard. Who can resist that. In a nut shell, the free enterprise system has it's downside as well as upside. Thats why bankruptsy laws came about-so that people who took risks and lost could start again. Advancements of every kind involve financial risk and you don't want to discourage that. But when too many people loose and claim bankruptsy, you have a financial meltdown.

By the way, wasn't a lot of the financial crisis paid for by "printing money" That's inflationary but inflation stopped dead and so the crisis was paid for and a healthy level of inflation was established.

I like the earlier Micheal Moore Doco's " Sicko " and "Goodbye Colombine" better. Heavily biased but great entertainment.

I would recommend all Michael Moore's movies also downloaded via torrent - that way you get them all for free and are not contributing to the corrupt capitalist system. You KNOW he would want you to do that. 021_nod.gif.30c66a33e1ed960b5b5d3fc7b345b58d.gif

• Like 3

Hio Hitler

No...The decision was made that whenever the discussion of politics or religion comes up, it invariably turns into a nasty thread that brings nothing to the table other than members angry at one another. It works well. For a niche forum very much like this one, Cloudy Nights has 60,000 members. If it had a Hitleresque aire about it, there would be few members. Besides, it's a privately owned BBS, just as this one and the rules are made by the owner. It's up to the individual to decide whether or not the ToS is over the top or not.

David

Oh I don't know David... Us Aussies have a knack of discussing (while not really discussing) politics successfully without having to resort to the use of arms or hardly a nasty enough word that it can't be worked out with a cold beer and a hand shake after.

• Like 2

...The decision was made that whenever the discussion of politics or religion comes up, it invariably turns into a nasty thread that brings nothing to the table other than members angry at one another.

Just Godwins law doing it's thing....

Godwin observed that, given enough time, in any online discussion—regardless of topic or scope—someone inevitably makes a comparison to Hitler and the Nazis.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

Besides, Turbo's comeback to the Hitler reference is pure gold. 007_rofl.gif.8af89c0b42f3963e93a968664723a160.gif

• Like 1

Oh I don't know David... Us Aussies have a knack of discussing (while not really discussing) politics successfully without having to resort to the use of arms or hardly a nasty enough word that it can't be worked out with a cold beer and a hand shake after.

Point well taken. Politics are difficult to discuss without passions turning into heated "discussions" on this side of the globe. I wear my Libertarianism on my sleeve, so there's no mincing with my philosophy. Guys like Milton Friedman, Thomas Sowell and Walter Williams shaped my economic and by osmosis, my political philosophy.

Anyway, I already stated that I'd keep my trap shut when politics is the topic. However, it's a sickness...I can't help it. It's like me and astronomy equipment...gotta' try everything. :-)

David

So true, mate. Why has Oz been so politically stable for a couple of centuries? We have a system that allows us to vent steam.

Another major factor is that we really couldn't give a damn. We don't get fired up like peoples in many other countries. Even our most famous bit of political violence, The Eureka Stockade, was decided by our lackadaisical attitude to politics: before the battle most of the rebels wondered off to the pub...

• Like 3

So true, mate. Why has Oz been so politically stable for a couple of centuries? We have a system that allows us to vent steam.

And that's why the action taken against Ian needs an investigation and corrective action.

• Like 3

And that's why the action taken against Ian needs an investigation and corrective action.

So true, Turbs. In my work environment I was sentenced and punished, yet after two years I am still trying to have the charges investigated. Our system needs constant tweeking.

An oft-quoted line: "evil grows while good men remain silent". What was that other one about freedom requiring "eternal vigilance"?

I think it might have been George Washington, a freemason, who came up with the first one, both are very true - you have to watch like a hawk any changes to laws or regulations in case (a) the people screwed up the meaning or the wording or (b) have an agenda to make money.

One of the top 5 regrets of my life was missing the implication of the Motor Vehicle Standards Act 1989.

It was brought in with good intentions after a few individuals started importing second hand Japanese cars into Western Australia which, although near new, didn't have the safety equipment we had.

The big mistake was the name of the Bill, which should have been Motor Car Standards Act.

Use of the word vehicle has allowed the Government to stifle the development of trucks by adding billions of dollars in design and development since 1989.

• Like 1

My thoughts - be on the side that is winning.

In today's political landscape that would be?????

Unfortunately all sides of politics in Australia as well as all the Australian public are losing at the moment.

( QUEENSLAND'S debt will hit $92 billion in four years, an audit by former federal treasurer Peter Costello said.

State Treasurer Tim Nicholls warned the report, to be released today, will be a sobering read and offer very strong medicine.It says by the 2015/16 financial year, almost 10 per cent, or $5.3 billion, of state revenue will be spent paying interest on Queensland's $92 billion debt.The report warns that debt will by then double, and the fiscal deficit will also worsen to $19.7 billion if spending trends continue the way they did under Labor.)

On the ABC program, Q&A , Bob Catter stated that the current Queensland debt is at $60 billion.

At this rate, how long will it be before the Chinese own Queensland, if not Australia?

Frank.

( QUEENSLAND'S debt will hit $92 billion in four years, an audit by former federal treasurer Peter Costello said. State Treasurer Tim Nicholls warned the report, to be released today, will be a sobering read and offer very strong medicine.It says by the 2015/16 financial year, almost 10 per cent, or $5.3 billion, of state revenue will be spent paying interest on Queensland's $92 billion debt.The report warns that debt will by then double, and the fiscal deficit will also worsen to $19.7 billion if spending trends continue the way they did under Labor.)

On the ABC program, Q&A , Bob Catter stated that the current Queensland debt is at $60 billion.

At this rate, how long will it be before the Chinese own Queensland, if not Australia?

Frank.

I reckon the Chinese were beaten to the punchbowl by Gina Rhno and Clyde Leonardo De'Palmer...

The LNP is just itching to sell the profitable parts off, then they loose power and Labor increases taxes to cover the shortfall due to the loss of profit generating services, the punter get upset that the cost of living is increasing faster than wages and kick Labor out.

and repeat

• Like 2

( QUEENSLAND'S debt will hit $92 billion in four years, an audit by former federal treasurer Peter Costello said. State Treasurer Tim Nicholls warned the report, to be released today, will be a sobering read and offer very strong medicine.It says by the 2015/16 financial year, almost 10 per cent, or $5.3 billion, of state revenue will be spent paying interest on Queensland's $92 billion debt.The report warns that debt will by then double, and the fiscal deficit will also worsen to $19.7 billion if spending trends continue the way they did under Labor.)

Frank.

Hi Frank, I heard at work the figure of $65 Billion. 100 Billion by 2018. ABC radio, two days ago. Either way, that is alot on money for our state to pay back. Hence why the new state government is cutting govenment jobs. I can only pick up ABC AM on the tractors radio on the Darling Downs. I am realy starting to get into the ABC.

• Like 1

I can only pick up ABC AM on the tractors radio on the Darling Downs. I am realy starting to get into the ABC.

I depend on ABC radio's good programming, but reception around here is very ordinary, yet SBS and the commercials boom in. I've said quite a few words when trying to get my portable radio into some contorted position to receive RN. Howzat for thread drift?

Lots of politics talk for a flying site, well here is my 2 bobs worth... Local councils should stop selling our airstrips to real estate developers so that they can balance their budgets....

That's my political statement for the day!

• Like 2