First Solo

Guest Bigfella

Guest Bigfella

So I joined the ranks of First Solo last weekend at Moorabbin 029_crazy.gif.9816c6ae32645165a9f09f734746de5f.gif

As everyone says it's an amazing experience, I got a huge rush of adrenalin sitting at the holding point waiting for clearance to take off but apart from that it was fairly non eventful circuit, thank god!

I was half way along downwind, checks done and waiting to turn base and I felt a little lonely all by myself with no one to talk too, although the extra elbow room was nice!

The irony is that it was no different to the previous 50-100 odd circuits I'd done, just that I did it on my own!!

Cheers,

Bigfella

Yep, in my first solo, I thought that the Tomahawk climbed like a rocket! And funnily enough, didn't seem to lose height like normal on finals either....

Edit: congrats by the way. It is a very special time indeed, and will be a treasured memory.

Congratulations Bigfella. It is a great time. Next is the flight exam. Don't rush yourself be confident and ready when you go for your exam. I was too focused on doing everything in a set time frame and it is was a mistake. It takes the joy out of it and leads to frustration. It will all happen soon enough. Again congrats and safe flying.

Good work BF,

Its interesting that each person feels similar yet different regarding how they found their first solo. To some its less of a monumentous event at the time but comes on slowly. Ultimately the important thing is you have commanded an aircraft by yourself in a safe manner. I think it's this that keeps the flying fires burning. Enjoy the rest of the journey.

Phil

Guest aussieaviatrix
I was half way along downwind, checks done and waiting to turn base and I felt a little lonely all by myself with no one to talk too, although the extra elbow room was nice!

The irony is that it was no different to the previous 50-100 odd circuits I'd done, just that I did it on my own!!

Congratulations!! I know exactly what you mean in regard to the quiet.....I had to keep talking out loud to myself on my first solo! 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

But I can still "hear" my instructor even when I'm flying on my own.......022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

Guest Bigfella

Thanks everyone!

I actually noticed the longer float at landing on my own more so than the climb at take off although looking back at gps tracker on my phone I turned crosswind way before the earlier flights with the instructor on board

Cheers

Bigfella

Guest Howard Hughes
Congrats Bigfella, this is one flight you will never forget

Great news, I wish you many more 'forgettable' (aka uneventful) flights!012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers,

Bigfella

Congratulations mate! I'm sure that your instructor worked very hard to make it an anticlimax for you. Mine did and it was.

Congratulations Bigfella ! - Welcome to the club. I can remember mine like it was yesterday. (1984 actually) - I remember the increased performance of the Cessna 152 and the euphoria of flying alone - what a buzz !!.