How many training hours to Certificate

Admin

How many hours did it take for you to get your Pilot Certificate or GFPT License  

110 members have voted

1. 1. How many hours did it take for you to get your Pilot Certificate or GFPT License

• 20hrs
    • 21 to 25 hours
    • 26 to 30 hours
    • 31 to 35 hours
    • 36 to 40 hours
    • 41 to 45 hours
    • 46 to 50 hours
    • 51 to 60 hours
    • more then 61 hours
    • Don't know as I haven't got there yet

Guest Bigfella

Still in training but have just gone solo at 24hrs (PPL), I wouldn't of felt confident at anything under 20hrs I don't think.

As Nev's sig suggests, you never stop learning so hours shouldn't be a focus in training

Cheers,

Bigfella

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a few schools/instructors around that promote a "Crash course" in aviation (ie guarantee GFPT or RA-Aus licence in 20 hours regardless of ability). I find it funny that some also offer "Guaranteed employment" to those they teach (once again regardless of ability/personality/)...

This is definitely not the kind of industry where a passing appreciation of the general areas and the "gift of the gab" will get you out of any situation (unlike, say, Accounting...022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif). Might add the question above "How frequently did you fly during this period?" as I think we'd all agree that consistency counts for a good deal in the "circuit phase" of training?

Flying is a no bullsh8t zone. You might think you are fooling the people who sign you out but if that is happening you are fooling yourself. Nobody has the right to guarantee you a pass. Some have the idea "my dad's rich and has paid the money" . Now where is my licence? Is that the bloke you want up front? Nev

Guest aussieaviatrix
Might add the question above "How frequently did you fly during this period?" as I think we'd all agree that consistency counts for a good deal in the "circuit phase" of training?

I'd definitely agree with you there! Consistency has been a huge part for me. I'd be up around the 35 hour mark now, still to get my RA certificate. Training was spread out quite a bit, mainly due to the end of school last year and beginning of uni this year. During the holidays in between I managed to get quite a bit of time in and was amazed at the progress that was made in just a few weeks. I was bordering on going for for my flight test a couple of months ago, but the weather was dodgy and by the time it improved I was in the thick of semester 2! So at the moment I'm hanging in there trying to pass my subjects while anxiously waiting for the end of semester so I can go flying again!!

Hi. I also agree with consistency I was able to do mine in 10 weeks majority in 5 weeks closely followed by 5 weeks for x.c. being able to keep things in mind is a great help. Then I got the drifter and at 53 hrs did a trip to Maryborough Qld. and that made me put every thing into practise. I think had it dragged out I would have had a lot of trouble picking up where I had finished last.Mark

If your worried do some more dual or fly with a mate to compare ideas

Rec flying should be fun , no commercial pressure, do not rush flying because someone states they have got a rating at a lower time - the bottom line is when YOU are comfortable to fly on your own then you will enjoy it rather then getting a rating and still having reservations about your capability .

The CFI or ATO might have given you a PASS which means you can do what is required but unless YOU are comfortable then fly with others - The idea is to enjoy your flying - forget peer pressure and enjoy the sport.

I must say that I don't feel worried when I go to fly - if I did I would have stopped many years ago.

Do not worry about hours just enjoy the ride?

FrankM

• Like 2

Would have been about 38-40hrs I reckon by the time I got my Pilot Cert/ and X country. Pilot cert only would have been about 25hr I think.

I tell people not to even look at their hours when learning as it will either disappoint you, or give you a false sense of confidence.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

People will always get their cert quicker if they learn to fly in something real easy like a Gazzelle,most cases I would suspect would be 20 hours. The same person will take longer, alot longer in some cases if they learn in something like a TW Skyfox, Thruster or even a LSA Jab.So the hours it takes, doesnt mean anything realy.

I had over 200 hours flying Hang Gliders & then another 70.1 hours for full PPL. My second flight after gaining my licence was from Hamilton to Nelson (NZ) with 169 NM over water. I was supremely confident & trusted the Lycoming 0360 in the C172 absolutely. I didn't have any Pax and it was my first real appreciation of how good ATC were, keeping me informed with advice on heading etc. Mode C Transponders rule. Set indelibly in my memory now. There was no GFPT in NZ so it was the full Nav, XC etc. I'm not sure whether there is a GFPT in NZ now. Conversion to low performance in a Gazelle was easy. It only took an hour or so but I still had to do the whole 5 so did a bit of sightseeing.

Oh dear, 45hrs to pilot certificate and 100+ hrs and still no gfpt yet. That ought to make some people feel better.... It's not all as bad as it sounds and I fly alright, I've just been diverting off on other aviation endeavors mid flight and having a whole lot of fun along the way:happy:

Hi what is GFPT ? Ican not find it in the abbrev. in the VFR guige. Mark

General Flying Progress Test.

In GA terms it is what used to be called a Restricted License enabling you to take passengers but not do cross country, so after completing Navs, you restriction was lifted and you received your full Private Pilot's License. Do a Google search of GFPT.

Alan.

Sounds like you've got it all under control now, 85 hrs in command since the dingle with only an extra 11hrs instruction.

Now I'll have to go back through your posts to read about how it happened for my interest and learning.

There's no conflict between Beer and Girls. I Knew a girl once who liked Beer. They are like a car on gas . Cheaper to run. Better than "triple lollywater and gold dust". Someones going to remenber that saying. Beer can stretch you out. YES....You have to add numerous extra holes to your belt .

Actually you are right. Flying takes all your money and then some. You would have to find a girl who OWNS a pub, ( and owns a plane, too). Nev

• Like 1

There's no conflict between Beer and Girls. I Knew a girl once who liked Beer. They are like a car on gas . Cheaper to run. Better than "triple lollywater and gold dust". Someones going to remenber that saying. Beer can stretch you out. YES....You have to add numerous extra holes to your belt .Actually you are right. Flying takes all your money and then some. You would have to find a girl who OWNS a pub, ( and owns a plane, too). Nev

Flying for me is the same rate as hiring for one hour, inclusive of purchase, maintenance & running costs... and thats for one hour of flying per week; any subsequent hours are at a substantially reduced rate.

I know several girls who like beer, too, all good lasses. My girl isn't one of them, but she's warming to it. She also likes cider and is a bit of a wine fan. Works well.

Beer isn't so much the culprit of 'stretching you out'; that would be alcohol in general. Fat has 37kJ per gram whilst alcohol has 42kJ per gram - if you don't hit the gym/pavement/water/situps you will feel the effects eventually, no matter what. The fact that I eat like a teenager, drink like a fish and *don't* look like the broad side of a barn is testament to this!

Back on topic... I have no idea how many hours I had to get my GFPT and RAA licences. Total is 70ish hours to date since the start of the year, with several months of zeros in there along the way. I was going for my commercial licence but have since abandoned that idea and am flying recreationally while using my degree to get into the now warming social sector, using my degree.

- boingk

• 6 months later...

In regard to those comments about the odd case of nerves, i guess everyone feels that at some stage. I think if there really are any truly fearless pilots, I wouldnt like to fly with them!

Respect for the hazards is necessary ( better than don't think about it and it will go away) FEAR is nor helpfull as it impedes performance. Nev

have known a few truly fearless individuals over the years who were involved in lots of different pursuits. Most are now dead!

Cant remember when i did my training in GA 1989-90 there was restricted (now GFPT) and unrestricted. Think there was a theoretical minimum of 35hours for the restricted? may be wrong. Will have to have check out logbook.