Finally bought myself a new toy

OMG that brings back memories of my first TIF in a Mk 5 at the grand age of 20 at Shoreham UK, (almost half a century ago, thats B.S).. Anyway, I did enjoy it, even if I did feel that I wanted to puke and change that horrible fumey smell in the cockpit!

When I was a lot youhger I always wanted to fly in an Auster too. When I finally did, I too was put off by the petrol fumes in the cockpit, do they all smell like that? Haven't flown in another one since. Wouldn't have minded a ride in a Beagle (Auster) Airedale though!

No petrol fumes in mine - however you do get a slight engine smell during takeoff - but you can fly with the windows open so no dramas !! In cruise no fumes.

The windows are self opening Ian. I found that out early in the piece. I used to roll up an old Marlborough pack and jamb it between the two layers of perspex, to try to stop it opening.

.One of the reasons I flew Austers was that they were the cheapest hire rates on the Bankstown aerodrome and they were T/W. One used to always stall to the right even if the wing was held about 20 degrees down to the left and ball in the centre. (Think it had a rigging problem, but it's all part of the learning thing). Hope you enjoy it Ian. Presume it has flaps. They fly slow if you want them to. There used to be a couple of Mk V's against the fence at bankstown. The particular motor fitted was reputed to be hard to start as it was suggested, they did not have impulse magneto's fitted. That seems odd to me but the original engine was an uncommon model. ( So I was told) Nev

Nev, yes it does have flaps - 28 knot stall speed on full - not that much higher without.

Apparently they were a bit hard to start - originally had Bendix magnetos without impulse - but did have a vibrator coil (not sure exactly how they work). Mine has had a mod done to enable use of Slick impulse magnetos which make it really easy - although its very easy to flood if hot.