AusFly Photos

Captain

The Captain may be too kind wrt two aircraft deciding to do a straight-in approach with the risk of the airport being very busy, apart from anything else? Incidentally, a Pitts is very noisy when one is encountered up close in the air.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW, I wasn't having a go at you. The fact that the Jabiru did not acknowledge a direct communication suggested my response.

No worries Scott,

Your opinion is as valid as mine, and you have every right to post it.

The other possibility is that both aircraft had their receive volume turned right down.

But when coming into an event like this with the potential for hundreds of aircraft to be around or on the ground (and perhaps some without a radio at all), why anyone would opt for a straight-in on the main morning of the event is beyond me.

DJ is right. I thought I was being kind by just calling it "arrogant and crappy airmanship".

Regards Geoff

• Like 1

Geoff:

No worries Scott,Your opinion is as valid as mine, and you have every right to post it.

DJ is right. I thought I was being kind by just calling it "arrogant and crappy airmanship".

Regards Geoff

Geoff:

I wasn't actually posting an opinion, but putting forward possible alternate explanation.

But you should be careful about posting a claim of "arrogant and crappy airmanship" (the straight in approach not withstanding) in public forums without knowing all the facts.

Can you spell "libel"?

Good point, Scott.

The law of defamation is supposed to protect people's reputations from unfair attack. In practice its main effect is to hinder free speech and protect powerful people from scrutiny.

I guess that some-one has made the appropriate report to the ATSB but opinions on unsafe practices probably have a greater positive effect on safety here.

One has to wonder, why anybody would attempt a straight in approach into a busy airfield, especially with a/c all ready established in the circuit.At the end of the day, the straight in approach guy has to give way to a/c already established in the circuit.Whether there is radio problems or not. I like CASA's saying "Look Out and Live".

• Like 1

Thanks Geoff for all the pics and feedback about the event. Your efforts are appreciated.

It is good to see all the Recreational Aviation Groups getting together and cooperating for the enjoyment of all. Let's hope this this cooperation continues and gains the support of those that were unable or chose not to attend.

Cheers,

Dave

Correct me if I'm wrong. Yes, absolutely crappy and arrogant airmanship, carefully planned to jump the circuit cue and get on the ground fast. They obviously knew they were being smart****s as they kept quiet. But I can't see that it would be reportable would it? There is no *legal* requirement to use the active runway, the correct radio calls were made for a straight in, and presumably since they were using non-active 22 there would have been no circuit traffic for 22 to give way to or conflict with.

Can you report stupidity if no laws have been broken...or is there a law that they broke?

Looks like we are all pretty much alike when it comes to photos, Captain, you took pretty much the same photos as me!

I'll add just a few...

1708-0c79927cb1f1f31cd813be591fb629f7.jpg

This was the view as I left on Friday afternoon (in the rush with lots of others before the air display lock-down)

1709-e0fa48ab66c21c1d313ee7bdbc44976a.jpg

The Avenger is a BIG aircraft!

1710-f8575b0a6fc47e62f634689eb20686ff.jpg

I just liked this one

1711-f537155ffa029694831f5c557f81f43b.jpg

This Mustang is a really good scale representation of the "real" thing, seems to go well too, - and has 2 seats!

PF.

Must say i have been a bit spoilt over the last few months as i have the Avenger and most of the others that appeared in the "air display" over the weekend almost in my backyard. As you can see a little bit more near the action than we were allowed to be at Narromine.

IMG_1414.JPG.cd0b5376a12c26939d8ffd5d20f82fc3.JPG

IMG_1425.JPG.c82ae5216fb5209370464677286abef4.JPG

IMG_1439.JPG.e96bfc599303ed5e5d378852cab9a9ca.JPG

IMG_1444.JPG.d979cd6044dfaff4b61bd66ca570f9bc.JPG

IMG_1474.JPG.8f943a7293fd825d0164b27bfbddf3d2.JPG

IMG_1516.JPG.727cf0bed991636298dfe9ee9fdc03f9.JPG

IMG_1525.JPG.5b7ae4b1c3f5737aefe877b5ed2b8efe.JPG

IMG_1526.JPG.fb2a36e69ec9808137872885a60c4155.JPG

SAAA seems like a much more friendly organisation than the RAA, seems like everyone in it has a common focus on having fun.

Thats one reason why I decided to join the SAAA instead of RAA. Having Chapters makes it a lot eaiser to find out info & get answers to questions. Something RAA should look at setting up.

• Like 3

If the A/C was RAAus registered I'm led to believe it is illegal to do straight in approaches. Something to do with insurance. If they were GA registered, different story, but not in this case.

Not sure about illegal, but the aircraft on striaght in regardless of rego type has to GIVE WAY to aircraft already in circuit.