AusFly Photos

Captain

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151414608229046.587659.765364045&type=1&l=be2aab1d3a A public FB album of my trip on Friday over to Ausfly. A fantastic day.

The picture with the shadow of the Jab taking off is one of my favourites on there Dave.

Thank you for sharing, it's an excellent photo album. 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

-Linda

• Like 1

1 - I went back to the Gyro display 3 or 4 times over the weekend in an attempt to discuss some details about the Xenon and could not attract the attention of a salesman or representative on any occasion. Although they were sitting in their chairs and/or there talking with their mates and associates. Some guys have a bit to learn about shifting aircraft, or perhaps they expected potential buyers or other interested individuals to force their way into the discussions of the Gyro clique.

2 - I was told that AusFly was supposed to also be supported by the Warbirds, but they were noticably lacking. Given how good the westher was, there must be some problems there somewhere.

Regards Geoff

It's not illegal for RAAus aircraft to conduct a straight in approach, but as Nunans said, aircraft on a straight in must give way to aircraft already in the circuit. Keep the straight in for quiet days, and make your calls!

There were discussions on this subject some time back and a number of members quoted the regs stating we (RAAus) must over fly to field and sight the sock or similar prior to landing. Something to do with third party insurance. Like most of us, having not read completely and memorised our bible I'm assuming the previous posters are correct.

On a serious note re Ausfly, they had 2 sessions for aerial displays on Saturday.

One in the morning and one about 2.30 in the arvo.

Both went for 2 hours and closed the airspace (except when the Unicom snuck in a couple of arriving aircraft between displays). (The Unicom had aircraft holding over the township which is prohibited for RAA aircraft).

While the effort that went into the flying displays was great and much appreciated, having the airspace closed for 4 - 5 hours made it difficult for attendees who wanted to arrive or depart on the Saturday.

My view is that one aerial display on the Satruday would be plenty, and each display on each day needs to finish say 2 or 3 hours before last light.

Did any other attendees have an opinion on that?

Regards Geoff

Witnessed a fine example of arrogant and crappy airmanship when 2 RAA registered Jabiru's forced their way in here this morning.There were about 5 aircraft, including a Pitts and some quite quick aircraft, in the circuit and runway 11 was clearly the active runway.

There were also 2 or 3 aircraft in the area conducting local flights.

In addition there were 2 or 3 aircraft calling in from way out (including a Mustang) saying that they were anticipating joining downwind for 11, when a Jabiru called that he was approaching from the north and would make a straight-in approach to runway 22.

Then a second Jabiru called in the same so I assume they were mates (or trained by the same disfunctional CFI).

Amongst numerous circuit calls from 4 or 5 aircraft using 11 the first Jabiru called a 10 mile straight in approach to 22.

Someone called the Jabiru to tell him that 11 was active and that there were a number of aircraft in the circuit for that runway.

The Jabiru did not acknowledge and shortly after called a 4 mile straight in with the second Jabiru again calling straight in on 22 soon afterwards.

Nothing further was heard so I assume that they just charged on in but didn't hit anyone.

With a Fly-In like this with numerous real quick aircraft out and about, I can't for the life of me understand how anyone could call straight in like this if there were other aircraft in the circuit for another runway unless a pilot is so far up himself that he can't consider anyone else, or if he was so poorly trained as to think he had some rights in the above situation.

Regards Geoff

Can you imagine if attitudes like this prevailed at Oshkosh or Sun-and-Fun in the United States? It simply would not be tolerated. I hope someone had some roar.gif.571bd1320880f6a67bbabd7db32e09f4.gif "quiet words" to the two Jab pilots after landing.

A few more which I hope you all find of interest .....................[ATTACH=full]19039[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]19040[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]19041[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]19042[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]19043[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]19044[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]19045[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]19046[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]19047[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]19048[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]19049[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]19050[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]19051[/ATTACH][ATTACH=full]19052[/ATTACH]

few more.

Captain & Ozzie: thanks for posting all the pictures 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Can you imagine if attitudes like this prevailed at Oshkosh or Sun-and-Fun in the United States? It simply would not be tolerated. I hope someone had some roar.gif.571bd1320880f6a67bbabd7db32e09f4.gif "quiet words" to the two Jab pilots after landing.

I am not suggesting this would be an appropriate excuse but the two Jabiru aircraft may have been almost out of fuel.

I am not suggesting this would be an appropriate excuse but the two Jabiru aircraft may have been almost out of fuel.

Tecky,

If they had declared that I'm sure that all other aircraft would have made way for them, as the Unicom did on Friday for an aircraft that became low on fuel while holding for the airshow.

I'm sure I don't have to tell you all that a straight-in on 22 means that those aircraft were flying through the aircraft on downwind for 11, (let alone at the intersection of 11 and 22) ....... and while they maybe would have been at different elevations when on approach and downwind, nobody can be certain of who is where and at what height in such circumstances and the displaced threshhold on 22 probably makes it worse. Particularly with some of the quicker GA aircraft that were around and may have been on a wider than normal downwind.

The key point, IMHO, is that the aircraft calling straight-in have no rights and it is dumb to do it at such an event, radio or no radio, unless it is an emergency.

Regards Geoff

"The Rat" missed one of the best aircraft at Narromine.

I took these photos last year, It is on permanent loan to the Narromine museum by one of our fellow forum members.

1086566132_3(Small).JPG.95f09ae5c155ac54c92e22dc4b953bfb.JPG

759863248_5(Small).JPG.edaae2011a150e01146551ad5a8b817e.JPG

1029820870_0(Small).JPG.34e6f18ddb0cffab3d0d7806d968fb07.JPG

512601717_1(Small).JPG.412a4886fd6bbe3e645ad7a244c8401f.JPG

556555809_2(Small).JPG.274f3ba6d007dc3c7b891b0271539458.JPG

"The Rat" missed one of the best aircraft at Narromine.I took these photos last year, It is on permanent loan to the Narromine museum by one of our fellow forum members.

You are right Kiwi.

It was located just off the port wing of the Moth in the photo in post # 32 and in front of the Sabre in the hangar, but there were so many people around it that I couldn't get a decent shot.

Thanks for posting your pics.

Tecky,If they had declared that I'm sure that all other aircraft would have made way for them, as the Unicom did on Friday for an aircraft that became low on fuel while holding for the airshow.

I'm sure I don't have to tell you all that a straight-in on 22 means that those aircraft were flying through the aircraft on downwind for 11, (let alone at the intersection of 11 and 22) ....... and while they maybe would have been at different elevations when on approach and downwind, nobody can be certain of who is where and at what height in such circumstances and the displaced threshhold on 22 probably makes it worse. Particularly with some of the quicker GA aircraft that were around and may have been on a wider than normal downwind.

The key point, IMHO, is that the aircraft calling straight-in have no rights and it is dumb to do it at such an event, radio or no radio, unless it is an emergency.

Regards Geoff

Yes declaring that would would have been the correct thing to do if that was the case, I am not trying to make up excuses for them. What they did was unacceptable. One thing I have noticed is people avoid disclosing things like this for what ever reason, don't want to draw attention to themselves, don't want admit they screwed up, don't want to get into trouble etc. I think there must have been some reason we don't know about for them to do such an apparently stupid thing,

Richard.