Hows this for some serious flying

davebutler

It seems as if the rudder and yoke need a lot of movement to keep the ship flying!!

I reckon the air above those fires and in amongst hills would be pretty damn turbulent, probably contributes to the action on the controls!

and-directional-control-during-water-drop-[see-the-drop-where-he-wiggles-the-tail-],,,,,,,,,AWESOME-video---What-a-job--,,HIGH-stress-risk--pressure-[to-stop--the-fire-]also---sherr-pleasure-flying-an-old-bird-with-turbines,low-flying-under-the-mins-without-fear-,,,and-i-mean-without-fear-did-ya-see-some-of-that-beach-stufff,,,,,Hairy-man,,,,,,,cool,,,,,,,,,

Guest Maj Millard

Cool stuff !!.....Love the way they go full power for the water pick-up...and those big boys take some man-handling don't they !!!....................................................................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Great video...What do they do when no fires...

I'd be wanting to fly all the time!

Don't know what the Spaniards do when they aren't scooping & dumping but I visited a CL215 fire bombing station in Northern Canada a few years back with my old winger who'd retired from the service as a chief pilot on the 215's in the late nineties. The flight crew lived in a self-sufficient donga-type arrangement at the airstrip in the bush and worked a 6 week rotation. The duty pilot that I met apparently went into town (32km rtn) to the pub for his meals after last light ea day and got back before sun-up most mornings. On the day that I got the cook's tour of the aircraft, this guy stunk of stale booze so bad that if he'd opened his mouth instead of the trap doors over a bush fire, he would have torched the aircraft. When I commented on this later to my winger his response was "this guy is good and good fire bombers get cut some slack but I don't know if he's good because of his nerves or because he's generally boozed up and doesn't recognize fear". Guess if I had been part of that crew I would have also taken up drinking to avoid the fear of the consequences of 'minimal hours from bottle to throttle.' I have a bent propellor blade in my hangar from a Turbo Otter that got crunched in a scooping run over there but I don't know if they ever lost a CL215. So what do they do when they aren't dumping?.................. during the day all of them swotted mosquitos and at night some of them were drinking!

• Like 1

Don't know what the Spaniards do when they aren't scooping & dumping but I visited a CL215 fire bombing station in Northern Canada a few years back with my old winger who'd retired from the service as a chief pilot on the 215's in the late nineties. The flight crew lived in a self-sufficient donga-type arrangement at the airstrip in the bush and worked a 6 week rotation. The duty pilot that I met apparently went into town (32km rtn) to the pub for his meals after last light ea day and got back before sun-up most mornings. On the day that I got the cook's tour of the aircraft, this guy stunk of stale booze so bad that if he'd opened his mouth instead of the trap doors over a bush fire, he would have torched the aircraft. When I commented on this later to my winger his response was "this guy is good and good fire bombers get cut some slack but I don't know if he's good because of his nerves or because he's generally boozed up and doesn't recognize fear". Guess if I had been part of that crew I would have also taken up drinking to avoid the fear of the consequences of 'minimal hours from bottle to throttle.' I have a bent propellor blade in my hangar from a Turbo Otter that got crunched in a scooping run over there but I don't know if they ever lost a CL215. So what do they do when they aren't dumping?.................. during the day all of them swotted mosquitos and at night some of them were drinking!

It sounds like a continous inactive-hyperactive-inactive cycle: boredom interspersed with the odd period of extreme exhilaration. It's a hard job.