A story about entering cloud

Leaving the legal aspects alone - a good example of the difference between flying a computer sim or dual IF in good weather i.e. don't do it unless both you and the aircreaft are suitably rated.

Even dual in actual conditions is not as stressful as when it is only you and the aircraft present.

FrankM

cficare

Although not disagreeing with your comment there must be a limit at some stage about placards on the dash as most are not read - at some stage there will be situation where there is not enough room for useful instruments because of placards -- OK I am pushing the point a bit, but I believe a pilot alreadys knows and another placard would not achieve much.

I have seen posts here where people are looking for ways around "NO INTENTIAL SPINS PETMITTED" clearly looking at the word INTENTIAL - as anyone who has done aeros and then later had some experience with maintenace then you would not consider it in anything that is not certified for the manouver. To get into an untintential spin then I would suggest some more dual instruction [if you are still alive].

Maybee I'm being a bit pedantic but that is the way I see it.

FrankM

Good writeup and article... heres how I took it:

• Did not have appropriate training OR rating for instrument flight

• Aircraft not rated for instrument flight, despite being so equipped

• Undertook instrument flight and developed spiral dive

• Inability to recover from dive

• Subsequent BRS deployment

That certainly is breaking all the rules, and is not something to be taken lightly. Taking a craft into instrument flight conditions is total BS if nether you nor the craft are rated for it - what did he expect to happen? He's right about one thing though... he is incredibly lucky.

Thanks for sharing.

Incidentally, an artifical horison can indeed be an aid to flight in ways other than instrument flight - what about high level flight (7,500~10,000ft) where the orientation of the aircraft to the ground is not always immediately apparent? Just one idea.

I think the main point here is that any instrument is useless if you are not equipped with the knowledge of how to use it properly.

- boingk