aircraft missing from Monto

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just click on the aircraft and its flight comes up

025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif Thanks Ian.

This process is sad and frustrating, in this day and age of low cost and slick mapping and avionic devices we really should be able to do much better with location. This drawn out search is just a bad situation for all parties involved.

• Like 1

Guest Andys@coffs

Which is why I posted about SPOT. Epirbs and crash activted beacons require the pilot do something when the event occurs whereas SPOT works on the principle of timed reporting while all is well. If the pilot is incapable of turning the epirb on or the crash damaged the beacon or it didn't activate for what ever reason you have the track reported by SPOT to derive the likely crash location. A few hundred dollars and an annual subscription vs what is happening now.

With SPOT you can also push the OMG button if you need it which immediately gets AMSA involved.

Andy

Horrible news..:(.

Can someone fill me in?. Where were they heading? Was it a VFR flight? If so, and there was soup around, I reckon they need to be searching either west (more likely) or east of the area they are. When the clag is on those hills you have to decide which side your gunna go, coastal or inland. The search location seems to be focussed right in the guts of the crap.

MM I think, going by reports, he was well and truly in the whiteroom for a while... lost in non VMC.... and they had a short duration EPIRB activation they are obviously focusing on that being best estimation on last location.

I was standing on the ground at caboolture at 10am yesterday looking west i couldn,t even see the hostipal 2km at the end of the 24 runway . The weather got worst from them so went home and it rained for over 4 hours then . sad news

From what im hearing, Des' wife and 2 other couples were onboard! Anyone who spends regular time around YCAB, knows this plane. It gets around a fair bit. Still got hopes they will be found.

PPQ Constant circling, yet not a very tight circle - picking up a signal.... or some other reason?

Seems odd to see a search aircraft retracing the same oval path - maybe half a dozen times so far? My guess is about 2k wide by ten kilometers long, at 10,000 feet. As Ian said, it would be informative to know their strategy.

I recently spent a few days down that way... I found myself marvelling at the dense forestry and the hilly terrain. It could be potentially very hard to get a positive fix on an aircraft right under their nose, especially considering the conditions if they still haven't improved. If they haven't picked up on a heat source last night I imagine that would not be an option 12 hours later.

• Like 1

It's got to be something but at 10,000ft and 190knots TP, I wouldn't have thought he would be doing that...too high and too fast I would have thought:

1.jpg.1b8424710865d948ac4b494c6e6fb688.jpg