aircraft missing from Monto

It is especially sad given the close proximity of a landing strip. It's only a 600 mtr strip, but may have saved them if they could have found it. If only...

I spoke with Des recently at the Watts Bridge fly-in. A really nice and unassuming guy. RIP Des and all aboard.

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Des and the plane will be sadly missed.

He told me some of its history some time ago. He survived a crash in it when he was a child, but his father died. He later bought it whenit was flying again and has cared for it lovingly for many years. An unlucky plane?

Guest trishok

Horrific - absolutely horrific - my heartfelt condolences to all family and friends who mourn and grieve. May God have mercy upon them all.

Guest Maj Millard

Sad ending, condolences to all concerned. The presence of that lovely aircraft will be missed at future fly-ins. I can't stop seeing it again just cruising around over the fly-in at Monto, just a couple of days ago....unbelievable. RIP

Guest aussieaviatrix

So sorry to hear this news! Like many others, I didn't know anyone on board but I have been following the thread and was greatly saddened to hear how it's ended....

RIP

Channel 9 (Brisbane 9) has said that SAR locked on to the only Mobile phone that was still working between the people that where on board the aircraft. SAR homed in onto the signal.That led the chopper onto the site.

We nearly went for a joy flight at Monto, finally enquired when it was being tied down, spoke with the guy looking after the steps, and hubby decided we would do it "next time" never realising there never would be a "next time". I followed the saga on several sites over the last days with growing sadness. I didn't personally know these people, but they are part of our aviation family and faces we see from time to time. The aircraft was a grand old lady, so beautifully restored and so lovingly shown around, and of all the planes we photographed, this was the one we have most of - all with smiling faces. My thoughts are with families, friends, searchers, and those waiting for answers. God bless

Sue

• Like 7

I have been following this thread like all the others. Even though I did not know the people closely, I am deeply distressed by the sad news of our sudden loss of fellow aviators. In our small flying community any loss of this kind feels like it has happened in our own family. My heart goes out to their loved ones.

All of us following these forums are here because we know the joy that comes from following our passion for flight. All of us know there are risks and all of us do our very best to minimise them.

We also know that living a life wrapped in cotton wool might result in a longer time here, but no matter how hard we try nobody can rule out misadventure causing an unexpected early end to that boring existence.

A life led in safe mediocrity is surely a life truly wasted. All those aboard the Dragon were living life to the full, as it was meant to be lived, following their passion.

We will all miss them.

• Like 5

Looking at the weather conditions that prevailed, ATSB may decide not to investigate.

Sad outcome.

Dazza the weather would be a good reason ATSB should investigate, and to a much more detailed level than they have been lately

Sad outcome.Dazza the weather would be a good reason ATSB should investigate, and to a much more detailed level than they have been lately

Depends on cost. A VFR flight scud running under cloud, in a moutainous area.Will have a bearing on whether a accident is investigated or not.Regardless of how many people die.

If I sound callus, im sorry for that. Going by the reports, it sounds like the aircraft was already in a world of hurt. NEVER LET YOUR BACK DOOR CLOSE IN ON YOU.

ATSB will have already assessed the information already at hand. They would already be on the ground,at the site if they where going to investigate.

It is obvious what has unfortunatley happened IMO.

The ATSB would have straight away, investigated if the accident was a RPT flight.Since it isnt, they may not.

• Like 1

Very very sad. My thoughts go out to all that we're on board. I also did not know these people but still feel a sense of sadness for them and thier families. Like others I was in hope of a better outcome than the sad news we have.

Like so many members on here, I have been glued to my computer for the past few days hoping and praying, while watching and listening from first light with hope in my heart. Many a heart has been broken by this tragic event, and to many, life will never be the same again. However, all who fly realise that there could possibly come a day when our passion comes back and bites us, for whatever reason. That is the risk we all take, but hopefully we do everything within our means to reduce the risks, as much as is humanly possible.

That wonderful old aircraft, or it's treasured occupants, can never be replaced, so guys, I sincerely hope that you learn something from this tragic event, and try to make the best decisions possible to minimise any re-occurence.

Des was such a likeable character and will be sorely missed by so many.

RIP Des, and your passengers, and thank you so much for all involved in the rescue operation who were hoping for a better outcome.

Kind Regards

Planey

• Like 9

Just an idea. Assuming one or serveral passengers had mobile phones - its unlikely they were turned off for a short hop. Why not try and see if any of these are hitting local towers and possibly be triagulated?

Good idea and AMSA are all over that.

Bugger. In saying that - surely a mobile repeater could be flown over the search area and see if something pings it. I was trailbike riding at Kia Ora the weekend before last - Telstra coverage was good to the north east of Gympie.

Yet it still it took them 3x days to get some kind of a fix with 2x search planes and 14x helicopters and a relatively small nomintated search area... 053_no.gif.1b075e917db98e3e6efb5417cfec8882.gif

Unfortunately in this case it didn't matter - but it would be nice if they could get their act together in the future.

/end of rant

RIP guys.

053_no.gif.1b075e917db98e3e6efb5417cfec8882.gifUnfortunately in this case it didn't matter - but it would be nice if they could get their act together in the future.

You have got to be kidding! It seems that we come to have completely unrealistic expectations of technology in Aviation? You could walk 2 meters off the road in 90% of this country and disappear... Add the bushland in that area, hills and weather and unless you can blow spark out your nether regions while whistling dixie out your ears you would be hard pressed to find them without the effort expended by our hard working SAR people.

• Like 4

Unfortunately, but probably not surprising the worst news regarding"RIAMA" and its occupants was realised this afternoon.With a heavy heart and broken wings we send all our heartfelt wishes to the families and close friends of the three couples. I will never forget the cheeky banter and good company at dinner the night before the tragedy as we shared a table and good times at Monto together. One last wave to you Dessie as you steer it skywards for the last time. Heaven awaits the captain, and his loyal passengers of the Riama..... you will all be sadly missed.

• Like 9

Guest Howard Hughes
Yet it still it took them 3x days to get some kind of a fix with 2x search planes and 14x helicopters and a relatively small nomintated search area... 053_no.gif.1b075e917db98e3e6efb5417cfec8882.gifUnfortunately in this case it didn't matter - but it would be nice if they could get their act together in the future.

/end of rant

RIP guys.

I know the aviation community is hurting, but have a look at the terrain and the impact, they are lucky to have found them at all!