Show us your 2nd hand dream aircraft

Always wanted to fly a Spitfire, so I guess I wouldn't mind one of them sitting in the hangar... may as well get two of them too so Louis can fly in formation with me...

This is what friends are for Tomo, to fly your spare spitfire!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just love those photo's.

The first one looks as though it's coming in for serious business, but the second is just so beautiful to keep looking at, you can almost hear the Merlin engine.

With all that power, and that prop which looks enormous, I reckon it would take a boot full of rudder to keep it straight on initial take-off

That reminds me of another thing of beauty: Back in 1954 at the ripe old age of 15 I was at a cadet training camp quite close to RAF Farnborough in the UK when I heard a jet aircraft overhead and looked up to see a very long sleek SPITFIRE. On making enquiries later, it was apparently a Spitfire fitted with a 2,000 hp turboprop engine and was being used as a test bed for the engine. They did the same with a DC3.

Alan.

A Bristol Beaufighter would do just nicely ! (or most of the things picture in this thread so far !!)

Hi Ian,

Maybe you should sneak down to Moorabbin Air Museum and nick the one they have on display there!

Cheers

Neil

• Like 1

Guest aussieaviatrix
That reminds me of another thing of beauty: Back in 1954 at the ripe old age of 15 I was at a cadet training camp quite close to RAF Farnborough in the UK when I heard a jet aircraft overhead and looked up to see a very long sleek SPITFIRE. On making enquiries later, it was apparently a Spitfire fitted with a 2,000 hp turboprop engine and was being used as a test bed for the engine. They did the same with a DC3.Alan.

Cadets?? :cheezy grin:I only just left the Australian Air Force Cadets this year......I was at RAAF Amberley on a training course the day the Super Hornets flew in from the US a couple of years ago. I enjoyed my time in, but we used to always look back with envy at the photos etc of the way the Cadet Corps used to be!

As awesome as it was to be there when the Hornets came in, I'm afraid the modern aircraft just don't excite me like the older ones do! 014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

Cadets?? :cheezy grin:I only just left the Australian Air Force Cadets this year......I was at RAAF Amberley on a training course the day the Super Hornets flew in from the US a couple of years ago. I enjoyed my time in, but we used to always look back with envy at the photos etc of the way the Cadet Corps used to be!As awesome as it was to be there when the Hornets came in, I'm afraid the modern aircraft just don't excite me like the older ones do! 014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

I used to be a Ant. 21 or 22 flight or something like that. Gold Coast. A long time ago.004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif Before I joined the RAAF.

That reminds me of another thing of beauty: Back in 1954 at the ripe old age of 15 I was at a cadet training camp quite close to RAF Farnborough in the UK when I heard a jet aircraft overhead and looked up to see a very long sleek SPITFIRE. On making enquiries later, it was apparently a Spitfire fitted with a 2,000 hp turboprop engine and was being used as a test bed for the engine. They did the same with a DC3.Alan.

That's an interesting aviation history snippet, Guernsey! I wonder what happens to these kinds of test aircraft?

Just imagine.... ....being able to say "I own the world's only jet propelled Spitfire". That would be really something....

[sNAP: back to reality 80 knots]

• Like 1

That's the only plane I have right now Tomo. However, since taking up sailing I've notice similarities. On a sailboat the wing is roughly vertical and becomes the engine as well-interesting metamorphosis.

Here are some interesting planes from Oshkosh. The second one is a jet powered Sonex, forth one is an electric powered Long-eze, and fifth one a Rutan designed single seat Quickie which goes fast on low power.1647643485_Picture277.jpg.6ca1c7f58c10712acc768d4743aa9fd8.jpg .

1799654832_Picture273.jpg.1cc109013cce94f176892329ba5a53fd.jpg

1468305876_Picture171.jpg.96d6f598c101537b56e59d5dddd11576.jpg

645320613_Picture261.jpg.0f5467941fd9d9a422e13dc5b7486ca4.jpg

1805307838_Picture275.jpg.41497769a0a0f87b77fa81d1c0be97fb.jpg

Guest Howard Hughes

I am a fan of the Visionaire Vantage (first pic), or whatever its re-incarnation is called! Probably just old enough too to qualify for this thread, must be almost 20 years old!012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Actually I see now that's a new design by Williams, a lot of similarities though!

[ATTACH=full]19415[/ATTACH]

My plane has served me well for quite a while. Operates on the smell of an oily rag, can be hangered in my shed, requires no insurance.

What is the NACA profile number on your plane, Sapphire?

(The looks of it are a high lift plane)

What is the NACA profile number on your plane, Sapphire?(The looks of it are a high lift plane)

Looks like it has vortex generators too. Must be quite an advanced design.

rgmwa

Never seen a NACA number for anything I'v flown. Probably in the bottom of some engineers briefcase. Saw one plane riddled with vortex genereators-the more the better. A sledge hammer on the wing may get similar result. Can't down load any more photos-too large suddenly

Guest Howard Hughes

Don't mind the Beagle...

Or one of these in polished aluminium...

Or one of these to also satisfy the boating urge!

It doesn't look ugly! It looks Deadly.I have always thought the Hurricane is so much more beautiful than the Spitfire... It is like a flying Battleaxe....Mean and ready to rumble...

I think that you will find that you are describing an A-10 Warthog or F4 Phantom. The Hurricane, while an effective gun platform, is certainly not what I would call "attractive" or even "functional looking".

• Like 1

Apart from Dolly Parton along with her 'no-limit' charge card, I guess my next best second choice would be something with a round noise maker up front, floats underneath and a cabin that I could load a fishing rod and a 200 litre drum of avgas into . Perhaps the attached (hopefully) U-Tube says it better. cheers y'all

• Like 2

Or one of these to also satisfy the boating urge!

I looked at the option of importing a standard Seabee - but as there are none currently in Australia decided against. Still may in the future !!