Acronyms

And of course the collective noun for a group of SNAFU's would be a CLUSTERF*CK !

That's what the maintenance test pilot told me was the collective noun for more than 2 Kiowas, as 4 flew past in formation.

Pity about the last planet... 042_hide.gif.f5e8fb1d85d95ffa63d9b5a325bf422e.gif 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gifBut yes, use a mnemonic or action that you can remember, it's not much use if you can't remember what the letters stand for. For downwind I don't use one, I trace a path through the cockpit with my hand checking things as my hand passes them. That's just me.

Do you point to your crotch to check undercarriage down.?067_bash.gif.26fb8516c20ce4d7842b820ac15914cf.gif

Alan.

Guest Bigfella

my 2 cents......

BUMFOCH (pre-landing checks)

B - Brakes

U - Undercarriage

M - Mixture

F - Fuel pump

O - Oil temps and pressures

C - Carby Heat

H - Hatches & harnesses

Cheers,

Bigfella

so i am essentially taking up valuable CPU time in the noggin trying to pace through an acronym that has at least 2 things that the plane doesn't even have! I guess it will be good for the future if I ever do fly something with a retractable undercarriage, but by then the habit to ignore that one might cause complications of its own!

Maybe instead of trying to remember an all-encompassing acronym, i can decide on one appropriate to the a/c on the day, then put a strip of blue painters tape across the cowling with B F I S H for example.

I have always used BUMPFISH for down wind

B- Brakes

U - U/c down and locked

M - Mixture rich

P- Prop fine

F-Fuel

I- instruments (including T & P)

S- Switches

H- Hatches / Harnesses.

Half the stuff a not applicable since I only fly ultralight type aircraft these days. But it is what I have always used.

• Like 1

so i am essentially taking up valuable CPU time in the noggin trying to pace through an acronym that has at least 2 things that the plane doesn't even have! I guess it will be good for the future if I ever do fly something with a retractable undercarriage, but by then the habit to ignore that one might cause complications of its own!Maybe instead of trying to remember an all-encompassing acronym, i can decide on one appropriate to the a/c on the day, then put a strip of blue painters tape across the cowling with B F I S H for example.

I nearly wet myself in the left hand seat of the Thruster one day. The instructor in the right hand seat was going through the downwind checks I should be doing...., and called "Undercarriage down and locked". I couldn't believe the BS!!!

Pud

I nearly wet myself in the left hand seat of the Thruster one day. The instructor in the right hand seat was going through the downwind checks I should be doing...., and called "Undercarriage down and locked". I couldn't believe the BS!!!Pud

Howdy Pud, I first started flying at Cooly with Gold Coast Aviation. Only for a few hours with them when I was a Ant. (Air Cadet). The reason some of us say U/C - Fixed or down & locked or more to the point , why we have U/c in our down wind checks, in the first place is

because, even though we where flying a trainer, we could possibly later on in our aviation careers, fly a retractable. And it is better to get the u/c check in our brains.

Unfortunately - It has happened where pilots of fixed gear are so used to going through the motions saying U/C Fixed. That they have said that in a retract, and completely forgotton to actually check. It does sound like BS & it is if it is said willy nilly without actually looking for the fictitous U/c Handle.

Since im so used to Bumpfish- If I left out eg - U & P for instance. My train of thought can go out the window.As I am so used to going throught the whole acrynom from start to finish. It is like a trigger saying Brakes, then undercarraige,The rest follows on, I think due to repetition. If that makes sense.001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Yeah, I hear you daz, and I can see where you are coming from.

Maybe my term "BS" was a bit strong but I was there to get signed out on the Thruster - I already had an RAAus certificate so it seemed a bit strange to teach me 'undercarriage down' on a Thruster. Correct me if I'm wrong, but recreational aircraft on the RAAus register with retractable undercarriage would be in the minority wouldn't they?

Pud

Yeah, I hear you daz, and I can see where you are coming from.Maybe my term "BS" was a bit strong but I was there to get signed out on the Thruster - I already had an RAAus certificate so it seemed a bit strange to teach me 'undercarriage down' on a Thruster. Correct me if I'm wrong, but recreational aircraft on the RAAus register with retractable undercarriage would be in the minority wouldn't they?

Pud

Yep. It is over the top for Guys only going to fly RAA, especially minimal type ultralights. I got it from starting in GA and it has kinda stuck with me.It would sound silly I guess to a pax, when I say out loud U/c fixed.LOL

I recall seeing on the control yoke of a 737, a small checklist a little like an abacus with a little yelleow bar that slid across indicating that the action had been carried out. I thought that it could be used in recreational aviation, by putting different actions on it.

• Like 1