P92 Eaglet question

GAFA

Hi Tony,When are you going down for your next lesson? are you training with Mahl or Wayne?

David

Hey David,

Next Wednesday for me, I've had my lessons with Wayne, but I did a TIF with Mahl, both top blokes and professional trainers. What about yourself?

Tony

I am also training in 7600. Seems to be a popular aircraft! I have been flying with both Mahl and Wayne and enjoying the lessons.

How far along in your training are you 2tonne?

I have 4 or 5 hours in 7600. Prior to moving to Brisbane in January, I had been training in a J160 at Lilydale. Went solo in Sep 2013 then had a year off flying. Got back into it again last September almost a year to the day after 1st solo. Had clocked up a few more solo flights in the J160 before the move north.

I am having a great time flying the Tecnam from Redcliffe with plenty of circuits at Caboolture as well.

Cheers, Tony (also)

Hey David,Next Wednesday for me, I've had my lessons with Wayne, but I did a TIF with Mahl, both top blokes and professional trainers. What about yourself?

Tony

Tony,

I will be going next week for a lesson with Wayne I think as I can't make it on weekends with Mahl due to my work commitments, what's Wayne like as an instructor?

David

Tony,I will be going next week for a lesson with Wayne I think as I can't make it on weekends with Mahl due to my work commitments, what's Wayne like as an instructor?

David

Hey David,In my humble opinion, Wayne is a very professional, skillful, and competent pilot and instructor. On one of my previous lessons, he landed the plane in an almost 90' crosswind to the runway, blowing at what seemed to be around a 15kts. At about 100' from the runway threshold he said he wasn't going to land on the tarmac, but on the grass beside it as it was softer on the plane, it was a perfect and smooth landing in my opinion, it impressed me.

All the best with your next lesson David... my next one is "Turning", I'm hoping my takeoff will be a little better this time, I wasn't happy with my last one, which was my very first one. Wayne agreed, I could've done better, I kind of got carried away with the thrill of my first takeoff, did a lot of over correcting .... Wayne said to me after it, "You do know that from now on you are doing every takeoff." suits me fine, I need the practice. I think my exact words in reply were "COOL!!!!"

I have 4 or 5 hours in 7600. Prior to moving to Brisbane in January, I had been training in a J160 at Lilydale. Went solo in Sep 2013 then had a year off flying. Got back into it again last September almost a year to the day after 1st solo. Had clocked up a few more solo flights in the J160 before the move north.I am having a great time flying the Tecnam from Redcliffe with plenty of circuits at Caboolture as well.

Cheers, Tony (also)

Hey Tony (good name)

How does the Jabiru's compare to the Tecnams to fly? There is a Jabiru available for hire in my local area, that I might get to fly when I get my Cert. A year off flying! That must have hurt?

Tony

• Informative 1

Hey David,Next Wednesday for me, I've had my lessons with Wayne, but I did a TIF with Mahl, both top blokes and professional trainers. What about yourself?

Tony

Well I might come down on Wednesday too, save Wayne coming down for only one student...what time is your lesson?

David

Hey Tony (good name)How does the Jabiru's compare to the Tecnams to fly? There is a Jabiru available for hire in my local area, that I might get to fly when I get my Cert. A year off flying! That must have hurt?

Tony

Yep, the year off was painful. It was a wife enforced break, but I complained enough that she eventually gave in.

I really like both aircraft. They are different, but I am probably not experienced enough to be able to describe those differences well. The Tecnam feels a little more stable and the approach on final definitely feels slower. Landing the Tecnam feels a bit easier. But, having said that, I was finding that my landings in the Jab had become pretty consistent. I also think that there is less time spent trimming the jab, but that might just be the difference between the manual lever in the 160 vs the electric trim in the Tecnam which feels slow at times.

One other difference I think is that if you pull the power off in the jab on final with full flap you get a high sink rate compared to the Tecnam. Still getting to know the Tecnam though.

Cheers,

Tony

Thanks for your thoughts Tony, you have much more experience than me, and your comparisons informative and interesting, I look forward to flying a Jab myself.

If I ever enter the wonderful world of aircraft ownership, I think I'd be looking at a Jabiru J160 or J120, they are currently $63,000 to $80,000 new, or about $30k second hand, may have to investigate syndicate options in the not so distant future. But, at this stage, it's knuckle down and get that certificate.

Tony

Well I might come down on Wednesday too, save Wayne coming down for only one student...what time is your lesson?David

What a day to be in the air! What a flight, so smooth up there in the big blue. How was the lesson, David? I was thinking that may have been you that had the lesson just before mine at 9am?

Tony

What a day to be in the air! What a flight, so smooth up there in the big blue. How was the lesson, David? I was thinking that may have been you that had the lesson just before mine at 9am?Tony

I couldn't do it today, it will have to be later in the week but it sure was a nice day for a fly...

David

• 3 weeks later...

Well, my 2003 Echo Super, which I bought six years ago, has a third setup. It was previously on amphibious floats with castoring nosewheels so required differential braking. The owner's solution was to add a second hydraulic cylinder and fit two close-set levers on the centre console, operated by two fingers with either the same or differing pressures as required. Rather like the fiddle brakes used on trials cars - well, they used to be like that in England. It works well, although unlike toe brakes it does tie up one of one's hands while braking. And you can't order this from the factory.