Converting SB582 to 912ULS

Justin Hawkins

Has anyone swapped out there 582 for a 912 ? I heard Fisher designed a MKII around the 912, and that it was stretched 12". However, unless my weight and balance calculations are off, the extra 30lbs in the back wouldn't put the CG out of spec. My SB582 is based in the US, and therefore registered experimental, so certification isn't a concern.

Thanks !

Hi Justin,

30lb would be the minimum I think + Oil tank, radiators and prop at least and sundry items ???

I know they banged a 912 on a frame at the Drifter factory with out any great WB problems, but you won't get ANY information out of them and the man that did it isn't there any more.

I think the mounts would be your main hurdle....

Do it!

Well, I think I'm gonna try. Gotta do the weight and balance calculations before I plop the money down on a used 912. Mounts shouldn't be that hard to adapt to the 582 mounting plate. Advertised installed weight with all accessories is 140 lbs. For a 582, it's 110 pounds, which does not include the oil injection tank and bracket. I'm hoping it's possible. Not really to concerned about additional horsepower, but would certainly like the increased reliability, quieter operation, and less fuel consumption.

I've considered the HKS, but there's a few factors I'm not to happy with. One, it's only 15 lbs lighter than a 912 installed. Two, in order to get close to the power of a 582, it needs to swing a big prop, which the drifter can't accept. Three, a used HKS is more expensive than a used 912.

Can't get the parts through Wayne because they were never actually produced for the Austflight Drifter. He said he saw the one at the factory, but didn't build or design it. He did, however, say that it used the 582 mount, adapted for the 912. He also sent me pics of the Fisher MKI 912. He's a hell of a guy.

If my numbers are right, I don't think it will be incredibly hard. I'm pretty sure the prop shaft offset will allow for a 64" prop. This might require 4 blades and lots of money. Maybe I can raise the engine a bit for a bigger diameter 3 bladed prop.

Thanks for those links. The dynafocal mounts on the Titans look pretty sweet. I'll have to call them to see if they'll sell me the machined blocks.

This is the way Wayne mounted the 912 on the Fisher MK1. Looks brilliant to me, and also looks like it could be adapted to the Austflight SB582. Any thoughts ?

2070889863_6(Copy).jpg.3d34bdfa24c9ee89d0f4eff107f67603.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Progress is slow, but progress none the less. I've acquired an 80 hp 912 that had a bad prop strike. I'm now going through it to verify everything is ok and replace the out of spec stuff. The plan is to replicate the mount pictured above. Still in the collecting phase though....

• Like 1

Thanks for those links. The dynafocal mounts on the Titans look pretty sweet. I'll have to call them to see if they'll sell me the machined blocks.This is the way Wayne mounted the 912 on the Fisher MK1. Looks brilliant to me, and also looks like it could be adapted to the Austflight SB582. Any thoughts ?

[ATTACH]21497[/ATTACH]

One thing to keep in mind.......see those 3 rivets in a line just aft of the fuse pan......I'm fairly sure that Wayne installs a doubler that runs up under the engine mounting point. Although it may not be necessary if you have the model with the pan fairings. I had a Drifter fitted with a 74 Kg (160lbs) Verner that was certified.

Hmmmm, good point. My Austflight bird does have the aft pan fairings, and they're very sturdy. I remember the previous owner mentioning it was an option. They do get in the way of inspection, but I have a borescope that can get in there to inspect the outside of the tube. I was actually thinking of redesigning the lower bracket (the one that both engine mount tubes bolt to and tie into the main tube. Looks to me like I could just use a longer bracket to better distribute the load on too the main tube.

Hmmmm, good point. My Austflight bird does have the aft pan fairings, and they're very sturdy. I remember the previous owner mentioning it was an option. They do get in the way of inspection, but I have a borescope that can get in there to inspect the outside of the tube. I was actually thinking of redesigning the lower bracket (the one that both engine mount tubes bolt to and tie into the main tube. Looks to me like I could just use a longer bracket to better distribute the load on too the main tube.

Will probably be fine. I had a WB A582 converted to take the Verner with nothing more than an adapter plate on the original upright engine mount. The mod had an engineering order done by a local CAR35 engineer and approved by the AUF as it was then.
  • Agree 1

Good news. I received exploded view drawings of the 912 mount from Lockwood. In fact, Lockwood sells all the parts. Now I just need to decide if I want to try to fabricate them with the drawings I have (no dimensions), or buy the parts from Lockwood for $1500.

More good news guys (if anyone cares).

My 912 passed the crankshaft inspection. Luckily the gearbox was retrofit with a slipper clutch. The prop strike that occured before I purchased it was a particularly violent one, with the 3 bladed warp drive prop being demolished down to the hub.

I found a guy who installed a subaru engine on his lockwood drifter (gained 75 lbs he says, no thanks). He sold me the majority of his old motor mount assembly. I also sourced a used prop and oil cooler. The prop is a 4 blade powerfin 64". Now I just need a radiator and to fab up a few bits like the bottom bracket.

Looks like this might actually work !

• Like 2

More good news guys (if anyone cares).My 912 passed the crankshaft inspection. Luckily the gearbox was retrofit with a slipper clutch. The prop strike that occured before I purchased it was a particularly violent one, with the 3 bladed warp drive prop being demolished down to the hub.

I found a guy who installed a subaru engine on his lockwood drifter (gained 75 lbs he says, no thanks). He sold me the majority of his old motor mount assembly. I also sourced a used prop and oil cooler. The prop is a 4 blade powerfin 64". Now I just need a radiator and to fab up a few bits like the bottom bracket.

Looks like this might actually work !

I care, I have found this interesting Justin.

• Agree 1

I CARE 023_drool.gif.742e7c8f1a60ca8d1ec089530a9d81db.gifPhoto's of any work progress would be appreciated when it happens... gleam.gif.61a3085bab2441797a6de7bfc35070cb.gif

Same goes for myself..........This is what recreational aviation is about, doing a lot of stuff yourself, and learning at the same time.