RAAus Fails CASA Audit Again

Robert

With the website down on such an important day there are other routes to advise members, the first being a broadcast email to all board members who could reach their groups including this one, the second a broadcast SMS.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greetings all

Found on RA Aus website just now:

"COMMUNICATION

November 14, 2012 | opsassist

Dear RA-Aus members,

I have been sent numerous articles and posts from various websites that have caused concern to some members.

I spoke to Mr Ungermann this morning and asked him some direct questions in relation to some of the rumours that I have seen recently.

The first one I asked him about was the rumour that CASA intend to release a media report about RA-Aus and the problems they currently face by the end of the week. What Mr Ungermann told me was that CASA have been approached by a media representative, claiming to be a reporter, asking questions in regards to the problems currently being experienced by RA-Aus. He stated that the reporter was told that the problems have come about as a result of a CASA audit of RA-Aus and they do not concern any matters of safety. He further added that as far as he knew there is no intention of releasing a media statement about RA-Aus.

The second question I asked him was concerning the grounding of all RA-Aus aircraft. He stated that this has never been discussed with him and that CASA are as keen as the board, staff, and all members of RA-Aus to keep the aircraft in the air.

I have said many times before that you have board members and your first port of call should be to them. We will do our utmost to keep you informed of what is going on via the website, which is the only website being used to release official information. If you continue to listen to what is being written on other sites and even contribute to it then you run the risk of being misinformed.

Work continues to resolve the problems being encountered and it is hoped that a positive outcome can be achieved in the very near future.

Regards,

Steve Runciman

President

RA-Aus"

As far as I recall and have read, these two rumours have not appeared on this site, although I suppose inevitably if registrations are progressively not renewed, the aircraft involved are effectively grounded, and if CASA's concerns weren't fixed within the whole 12 months then all aircraft would be unregistered, however those aren't the rumours we have been reading about here.

Significantly in Mr Runciman's message, he has failed to meet his commitment to confirm the outcome of this morning's meeting with CASA which seriously affects many members.

That was based on information on the RAA website and was not a rumour or rumours.

So tonight's statement in my opinion just escalates the serious concern, and delays accurate explanation of what CASA have notified RAA of, and how RAA have responded.

• Like 3

Finally... We have some communication from the President.

Good to see someone finally with balls enough to get a reply from their member. It seems that what goes on at this site is more important than what has happened at Ra-Aus HQ? I really start to doubt myself and wonder whether it is me who has the communication problem when I read one of these SR replies to member questions.

• Like 2

As previoulsy advised by a member a few minutes ago the RAAus website is now up & running & if you dial it up you will see that the President Steve Runciman has posted a response to the latest saga about the failed CASA audits.

This latest information is in my opinion a "Politicians Answer", & is as useful as an ash tray on a motorbike.

The sooner those Board members & CEO responsibile for bringing our organisation who make up the RAAus into disrepute over this saga & have a conciense to resign over this saga for the overall future betterment of the organisation so as to allow a new competent administraion to manage the organistaion, such resignations can't come soon enough.096_tongue_in_cheek.gif.d94cd15a1277d7bcd941bb5f4b93139c.gif

I It seems to me from previous posts and from what I hear generally is that members of the board are urgently in need of a job discriptions. The board are responsible for the mess we find ourselves in and nobody else.

The board or the exec?

I just looked back at yesterday and day before news releases, they now have Steve Rucimen's name appended to them, has anybody copied them as they were previously, I had been expecting an update on the meeting with CASA this morning to be post by close of business tonight, reading the modified post for yesterday I don't still get that expectation, just wondered if the bottom line is all that has been changed??? Surely I am not thick enough to have misinterpreted what I read last night.

I just looked back at yesterday and day before news releases, they now have Steve Rucimen's name appended to them, has anybody copied them as they were previously, I had been expecting an update on the meeting with CASA this morning to be post by close of business tonight, reading the modified post for yesterday I don't still get that expectation, just wondered if the bottom line is all that has been changed??? Surely I am not thick enough to have misinterpreted what I read last night.

Rank what you're interpreting is classic delay /stall tactics. The airlines do it every day when flights are delayed- as do many industries and business's -- they know it's a train wreck but don't want anarchy so they play the delay game- the the apology game then the blame game. Then the anger starts, then the blame game then the witch hunt then the solution then the clean up and legal. Watch this play out over the next few weeks- months- or..... years( hope not).

You are correct. I had read opsassist at the top of the page and NO signature at the bottom so assumed it was the assistant Ops Mgr that was posting the notice/s.

This has been changed on ALL the postings.

Hi All,

The President has just informed the Board that CASA have lifted the ban on Registration renewals. New registrations are still subject to the ban but we are working through the issues.

The President also stated he is having trouble updating our web site, and this information will be posted as soon as the technical difficulties are overcome.

I am sure this a big relief to all of us.

John McK

• Like 9

A few minutes ago the President of our organisation Steve Runciman responded to a memo I sent him earlier this evening.

In the response he stated that CASA had approved RAAus to immediatley recommence renewing existing expired registrations, & that new registrations applications are still in the process of being worked through & he expects this matter will be resolved in the near future.020_yes.gif.58d361886eb042a872e78a875908e414.gif

Hi All,The President has just informed the Board that CASA have lifted the ban on Registration renewals. New registrations are still subject to the ban but we are working through the issues.

The President also stated he is having trouble updating our web site, and this information will be posted as soon as the technical difficulties are overcome.

I am sure this a big relief to all of us.

John McK

Our greatest thanks John for your assistance in this difficult ongoing matter. Many detractors often point the finger at CASA in these matters but I for one am convinced that RA Aus have only been directed to address these issues by the regulator in the best interests for all in the future. The circumstances that led to this unfortunate intervention will continue to be a point of investigation and resolution ( and comment) for some time which we all hope leads to a more robust and accountable administration and management on behalf of our members within RA-Aus.

• Like 5

Guest Andys@coffs
it was interesting to see the President state that the audit problems...'were not safety related...''

Yeah....in what context?

Safety of a pilot in an aircraft that cant show airworthiness? Its a leap of faith to say no safety consequences, if that were true why bother with it in the first place, and why did CASA get all hot under the collar about it? But I understand the point being made and its probably true in the short term.

Safety of RAA when as a result we end up in court, Id say our safety has indeed been compromised.

Financial Safety of training and aircraft sales organisations, I'd argue that their safety has most assuredly been compromised.

Trustworthiness in the eyes of the regulator.....Im pretty sure safety has been comromised

Andy

As Ranky pointed out in post # 321, at least someone is RAA is reading this thread, as evidenced by the retropective addition of the Runciman moniker on website announcements made over the past couple of days.

Too little too late SR, with your management (sic)/housekeeping or more like an attempt to clean-up some of the wreckage.

Clearly there are issues of both governance and management that RAAus needs to addressed. The current issue of audit compliance with CASA is separate. RAAus Members (the stake-holders of recreational aviation) must come together to resolve these problems internally and not shift that responsibility to the government/CASA. To go down that path would be a disaster.

Surely there is enough skill and experience, within our membership, to assist the RAAus Committee/Board reshape it's organisational structure and revisit the strategic plan which must immediately address the key planning areas of member consultation and communication. How can we develop a mature relationship with CASA under a revamped governance/management structure? Lets look towards a constructive solution, rather than finding someone to blame for a movement that has grown beyond most peoples expectations, and in such a short time.

Pete

• Like 7

There appears to be plenty of skilled/experienced people within the membership base however before anyone can volunteer their services we need to know WHAT the problems are. "Failing an audit" doesn't say anything except that we are not doing something right. Unless the management come clean and tell us what procedures failed or what needs fixing, nothing will change.

I have e-mailed my WA Rep for some answers, so we will see what happens with that.

Kev

P.S. Just received a reply. The "audit failure" was in regard to registrations but no details given as to what that failure was. Problem identified at previous audits but change of Tech Manager failed to resolve it.

RAAus prevented from processing registrations from TUESDAY last week so any excuses given for not processing between then and the official notification given on FRIDAY are suspect. If you were given other excuses contact your Rep.

Renewals back in place from today but new registrations will need new updated process and new forms which need to be approved.

Expect some changes in the next few weeks.

Kev

Kev this is only a personal opinion but the information you received from the person members voted in the represent you, namely "the audit failure was in regard to registrations" may not qualify as useable information.