RAAus Fails CASA Audit Again

Robert

It seems that the "framework" that was the purpose of Ra-Aus being the administrator of these flying activities is non-existent. Our members have no idea, are quoting differing views quoted from operations etc etc. This is not an attack on any individual... I am just pointing out that a big part of the reason for the existence of Ra-Aus is to administer (put in place) safety systems that should ensure that people understand our airworthiness standards and requirements. It is not happening. The rot is deep....

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had the attached document sent to me to be put up on this site so that its bona fides can be established.

It was emailed to the Secretary of RA Aus and copied to the CEO and the Ops and Tech managers and the entire board on Friday November 16 at 0610hrs.

DDSAA Concerns to RAA us Board Nov 2012-Final.pdf

• Like 6

Thanks David, that's the professional way to do it.

This document now confirms the concerns of a considerable body of members and paves the way for other Clubs and groups to join them in actually doing something which will improve the situation.

What do others think of this latest post by Ches??

Put it this way, if CASA shutting down the RAA registration process still won't motivate the Executive to resign and put the wheels in motion for the resignation of the CEO, what will?

You can't move forward if you don't remove the core of the problem, CASA know this, we all know this.

• Like 5

speaking to the Tassie RAA rep today(ER)..he informs me that CASA has restored RAA ability to renew a/c registrations..

...and did he say how was he going with those audited financial reports? unhappy_composer.gif.d3e9355e1a45a47f19d6ae0bef8b2e30.gif

• Like 1

Great that we could see the letter David. Makes for interesting reading.

I have contacted one of my committee to see if we can organise a similar letter to the board and show our displeasure.

We need a lot more members though to support this club in their endeavors to get the board to carry out some hard decision making with the paid staff as fly-tornado has said and I agree with his sentiments fully

Interesting to note that there has not been an update on the Raa Aus site on this issue since the 15th. Good of them to let us know what the state of play is seeing it wasn't resolved by the 16th.

Great that we could see the letter David. Makes for interesting reading.I have contacted one of my committee to see if we can organise a similar letter to the board and show our displeasure.

We need a lot more members though to support this club in their endeavors to get the board to carry out some hard decision making with the paid staff as fly-tornado has said and I agree with his sentiments fully

Absolutely we do.

Off the top of my head in my area we need the Hunter Recreational Mob and the Kempsie mob to do likewise and every other Club that is disillusioned needs to make the point to the Board so that there is a clear understanding of the ground swell from members.

At our AGM yesterday our Club stated its intention to make a submission to the RAAus Board. The concerns that prompted this decision were essentially based on issues of governance, management and the communication of governance and operational information to membership.

While the current operational issues are troubling, we believe that unless the deficiencies of governance and strategic planning are addressed, It will be difficult, if not impossible, for the organisation to move forward.

I have written to the Board, as an individual member, suggesting a course of action and the name of a consultancy firm with national experience and credibility working with the community based sector. A copy of the letter was also sent to our Victorian State representative, Rod Birrell.

I believe that what is required at this time is a level headed approach to getting our governance and management systems right and the rest will follow. Tackling the big operation issues without this in place would be counter-productive.

If something is wrong......it doesn't mean everything is.

Cheers Pete

• Like 4

All wise counsel. Can't disagree with any of it Pete. The crippling Court action has to be "lifted" for RAAus to be even able to continue to operate. With that issue hanging over it, we can't expect people to be happy to be on the board, so it's a pivotal issue for continuance.

Then we have the administrative complications. The immediate administrative issues may be close to being corrected, and if they are, most will go back to saying "It's ok, I can still fly my plane".

We have a real crisis of confidence in the management of the organisation and the effectivenes of some individuals.

We must also know what our ongoing relationship with CASA is. It's no good saying " I think CASA is right". It's not that simple.

There are issues of excessive complication in the way we administer this show so we should work ( long term) towards rectifying that.

We should have a manual of aims and policies ( for obvious reasons) that are there for all to see and amend through the AGM process, and the submission of a working paper for discussion and voting by the board. All policies would have a sunset clause so if they are not applied within a reasonable time, they have to be re-invalidated to be included in the manual. This way, a member can point to a current policy statement when considering whether some one in office is acting outside the "wants" of the organisation collectively.

There is nothing new in this concept. I think having policies has been a part of it in the past, but who has seen such a list? Nev

Can I just say.... I don't think targeting the board is necessarily correct. I think (correct me if i'm wrong) but the exec is more to blame for this. I know some on the board may even support what we are saying here.

If you get every club sends the RAA management a laundry list of things to do, it will be easier for them to get away with doing no reforms. I can't see how you can have a genuine reform without the resignation of the key players, their resistance or incompetence could seriously damage the reformation process.

• Like 1

Sorry Shags but under Incorporations law (and Company Law), it is the Board/Committee that is responsible. It is they who will be sued, if the organisation can be proven to be in breach of its legal responsibilities. For example under the new rules of incorporation in Victoria the elected Secretary of an incorporated association is now responsible for submitting an annual audited financial report....once the job of the public officer, but applicable to all "voluntary" clubs and associations. But you are right in that management should be providing quality advice in an organisation the size of RAAus.

However in reality the buck does stop with the Board/Committee and paid staff only act at the direction of the Board/Committee. If this is not the case it needs to be addressed at a governance level before anything else. Of course where government contracts are concerned the waters are further muddied by the necessary relationships between paid management positions and the bureaucracies.... in the case of RAAus, CASA.

For audited government contracts, where the government provides $'s for funded positions, the separation of, and allegiance to, the Board/Committee can at times be problematic....the cause of serious tension, if not attended too.

Pete

• Like 1

Pete is legally correct, the whole Board is responsible and they should have been more assertive with a potentially controlling executive.

I believe in our case the executive have taken control and the problem lies there, but it is of little consequence in the end because the whole Board is responsible.

• Like 2

Guest airsick
Sorry Shags but under Incorporations law (and Company Law), it is the Board/Committee that is responsible. ...

Pete is legally correct, the whole Board is responsible and they should have been more assertive with a potentially controlling executive.I believe in our case the executive have taken control and the problem lies there, but it is of little consequence in the end because the whole Board is responsible.

You can't simply say it's the board, or the executive or whatever. If you read and understand the law that applies here you'll realise that it is 'officers' of the corporation (or in this case, the incorporated association) that are responsible. (Note: fault may be different.) Officers include those who "make, or participate in making, decisions that affect the whole, or a substantial part, of the business of the corporation". There are a few more inclusions but this is enough to include the CEO as an officer of RAAus.

What worries me is that we have a multi million dollar association and our board/committee/directors/whatever name you want to apply to them don't understand their responsibilities. And nor does the management of the association.

Well this latest situation must have sharpened up the office a lot. I passed my cross country flight test and exam on Friday morning. Bill must have faxed or emailed the paperwork for me when he got home before lunch....lo and behold my new endorsed licence turned up in the mail today.....holy crap that was super fast....so the office girl is certainly on top of things and I thank her for that

• Like 2

Well this latest situation must have sharpened up the office a lot. I passed my cross country flight test and exam on Friday morning. Bill must have faxed or emailed the paperwork for me when he got home before lunch....lo and behold my new endorsed licence turned up in the mail today.....holy crap that was super fast....so the office girl is certainly on top of things and I thank her for that

That is really impressive!

Find out who she is, send her a bunch of flowers then nominate her for the position of CEO.

Alan.

• Like 10

Pete is legally correct, the whole Board is responsible and they should have been more assertive with a potentially controlling executive.I believe in our case the executive have taken control and the problem lies there, but it is of little consequence in the end because the whole Board is responsible.

Hi David, it seems to me with what you and others have been saying is that a small group [the executive] have in effect taken control of the board process and the rest of the board have allowed them to get away with it. If this is the case then our voted in members are not up to the job, they should take back control .

The idea that you can operate without a monthly board meeting is rubbish. This in my opinion is the first thing that needs to change and that way there's no need for an exceutive.

• Like 2

Well I was impressed with that service...it took 3 weeks to get my full rego for the aircraft and a week for my pilots licence when I first got it and around 5 days for the other endorsements before the cross country...but wow I am impressed today...got to give credit where it is due thats for sure