North qld

Guest Maj Millard

Last Monday 2 x Searays, 1 x Super petrel and 2 x Lake Buccaneers overnighted at Shute harbor Airport. They all departed the following morning in very high winds (forecast 25-30 Kts that day). The best way out of Shute when the wind is very high is to climb, and get as much altitude as quickly as you can, to avoid extreme mechanical turbulance down low.

The two Searays left first, followed by the Buccaneers and the Petrel last. The Petrel climbed rapidly and had a good departure with minimun roughness, the others went out low and fought it all the way.

Don't know if the Searay involved in the incident was one that left Shute, but they did appear to head North up the coast. The two Buccaneers transitted through Shute again a couple of days ago........................................Maj...

We are all deeply affected by fatal accidents, especially when you know those involved like Ross. I've included the email here sent out by the President of the Seaplane Pilots Association of Australia to all members. If any of you are interested enough to see how Ross was committed to safety you only need to read his newsletter contributions on the SPAA website which is free to all of us to access. I'm a paid up member because I love the idea of amphibious flight.

Ross was one of those absolutely passionate characters in aviation, a real enthusiast, infectious when you met him. I was privileged to see a presentation by him at the SACSA (Sports Aircraft Club SA) earlier this year on his amphibious flying adventures. One involved a flight into Sir Johns Falls in the Gordon River, Tasmania, a breathtaking flying experience for amphibians only. His video and audio was extraordinary. Another involved his goal of circumnavigating Australia, and he meant it seriously, by flying coastal outside the landmass and touching down at least once on the ocean within every square on the coast defined by one degree of latitude and longitude. He had covered from SA westwards to Darwin I think at the time. His last flight was an extension of his goal after viewing the eclipse. I also met him on the ground at Murray Bridge one day when he brought a friend in for some PPL lessons, so was able to look his SeaRey over up close. It was the first time I'd seen an amphibian on dry land before Natfly in April this year.

Ross was an experienced GA pilot flying his experimental SeaRey VH-RRZ wherever he could, giving anyone interested a taste of "amphibious freedom" whenever the opportunity presented itself. As a consequence there are a number of pilots I know who now harbour ambitions of waterborne endorsements, and ultimately amphibian ownership. You only need to read RAAus mags to see the growth in interest.

It's certainly difficult for me to see Ross getting into this situation without extenuating circumstances like a structural failure or serious health problem. Only an investigation will give us some clues. For the sake of his family I hope there will be answers to their inevitable questions. I only wish people, however well meant their sentiments, would desist saying that someone died doing what they loved. It's such an empty and meaningless statement in my opinion. If it does provide some solace to some folk, so be it, but please don't tell my wife I died doing something I loved, she'll hate you forever.

VALE ROSS, and our thoughts and prayers go out to your family.

" By now I am sure many of you have heard, through colleagues or the media, that Ross Vining has been involved in a fatal aircraft accident. Ross has been one of the mainstays of the SPAA and was loved by everyone for his incredible energy, enthusiasm and knowledge. Even if you haven’t met Ross you will have seen the evidence of his drive in the excellent On-the-Step news letter that Ross put together and distributed to us every two months.

When he wasn’t pursuing his great passion for seaplane flying, he was heading up forensics for South Australia with equal passion. Ross is considered one of the leading forensic scientists in Australia (and you can find videos of him on the Internet talking about aspects of his work and expertise). Professionally he was Prof Ross Vining, director of Forensic Science for South Australia.

For the past 18 months Ross had planned to fly to North Queensland to witness the solar eclipse, preferably from the air. He, and a group of other seaplane pilots, managed to be there for the event and from Ross’s emails it was clear that from 7,000ft he experienced a truly awesome spectacle that left him shouting with delight. Following this once in a lifetime spectacle, Ross was heading home in the way he most loved, following the coast around Cape York and down the Western side. On a small and very remote peninsular near Cottrell River 140km North of Weipa he experienced some problem, the details of which are yet to be uncovered, and crashed. It appears he died on impact. Ross was a very thorough planner and thanks to his regular communication of his flight plan and his carrying a Spot GPS tracker, he was found in less than 24 hours (thanks to the excellent efforts of AMSA) in a region in which it could have taken months to locate.

We are all deeply saddened by the news and will greatly miss a dear colleague while taking some solace in the knowledge that Ross was doing something he loved when he died. Our deepest sympathy to Ross’s wife, Linda and son Ben We will miss you Ross, your legacy will live on with us.

Keith Clark

President - Seaplane Pilots Association of Australia

p: +61 2 9654 9125

m: 0419 237 831

e: [email protected]

Skype User ID

I have the same reservations as you Clansman, but it is comforting for the family, and I don't think it does any harm because they are the ones dealing with the shock, usually not having experienced it before.

I really hope ATSB decide to investigate this one because it involves a similar product to the one Heon crashed in, and although this is purely a theory of mine, if it turned out to be an engine failure and subsequent stall, I'd like to see some study on the effect of immediate loss of thrust from a high mounted pusher prop; I'm of the opinion that the immediate short term result might be a nose-up requiring a very fast response.

We are all deeply affected by fatal accidents, especially when you know those involved like Ross. I've included the email here sent out by the President of the Seaplane Pilots Association of Australia to all members. If any of you are interested enough to see how Ross was committed to safety you only need to read his newsletter contributions on the SPAA website which is free to all of us to access. I'm a paid up member because I love the idea of amphibious flight.Ross was one of those absolutely passionate characters in aviation, a real enthusiast, infectious when you met him. I was privileged to see a presentation by him at the SACSA (Sports Aircraft Club SA) earlier this year on his amphibious flying adventures. One involved a flight into Sir Johns Falls in the Gordon River, Tasmania, a breathtaking flying experience for amphibians only. His video and audio was extraordinary. Another involved his goal of circumnavigating Australia, and he meant it seriously, by flying coastal outside the landmass and touching down at least once on the ocean within every square on the coast defined by one degree of latitude and longitude. He had covered from SA westwards to Darwin I think at the time. His last flight was an extension of his goal after viewing the eclipse. I also met him on the ground at Murray Bridge one day when he brought a friend in for some PPL lessons, so was able to look his SeaRey over up close. It was the first time I'd seen an amphibian on dry land before Natfly in April this year.

Ross was an experienced GA pilot flying his experimental SeaRey VH-RRZ wherever he could, giving anyone interested a taste of "amphibious freedom" whenever the opportunity presented itself. As a consequence there are a number of pilots I know who now harbour ambitions of waterborne endorsements, and ultimately amphibian ownership. You only need to read RAAus mags to see the growth in interest.

It's certainly difficult for me to see Ross getting into this situation without extenuating circumstances like a structural failure or serious health problem. Only an investigation will give us some clues. For the sake of his family I hope there will be answers to their inevitable questions. I only wish people, however well meant their sentiments, would desist saying that someone died doing what they loved. It's such an empty and meaningless statement in my opinion. If it does provide some solace to some folk, so be it, but please don't tell my wife I died doing something I loved, she'll hate you forever.

VALE ROSS, and our thoughts and prayers go out to your family.

" By now I am sure many of you have heard, through colleagues or the media, that Ross Vining has been involved in a fatal aircraft accident. Ross has been one of the mainstays of the SPAA and was loved by everyone for his incredible energy, enthusiasm and knowledge. Even if you haven’t met Ross you will have seen the evidence of his drive in the excellent On-the-Step news letter that Ross put together and distributed to us every two months.

When he wasn’t pursuing his great passion for seaplane flying, he was heading up forensics for South Australia with equal passion. Ross is considered one of the leading forensic scientists in Australia (and you can find videos of him on the Internet talking about aspects of his work and expertise). Professionally he was Prof Ross Vining, director of Forensic Science for South Australia.

For the past 18 months Ross had planned to fly to North Queensland to witness the solar eclipse, preferably from the air. He, and a group of other seaplane pilots, managed to be there for the event and from Ross’s emails it was clear that from 7,000ft he experienced a truly awesome spectacle that left him shouting with delight. Following this once in a lifetime spectacle, Ross was heading home in the way he most loved, following the coast around Cape York and down the Western side. On a small and very remote peninsular near Cottrell River 140km North of Weipa he experienced some problem, the details of which are yet to be uncovered, and crashed. It appears he died on impact. Ross was a very thorough planner and thanks to his regular communication of his flight plan and his carrying a Spot GPS tracker, he was found in less than 24 hours (thanks to the excellent efforts of AMSA) in a region in which it could have taken months to locate.

We are all deeply saddened by the news and will greatly miss a dear colleague while taking some solace in the knowledge that Ross was doing something he loved when he died. Our deepest sympathy to Ross’s wife, Linda and son Ben We will miss you Ross, your legacy will live on with us.

Keith Clark

Skype User ID

Hi Keith,

thank you for that excellent contribution, and it clarifies the question of how the wreckage was found. The search area would have been vast and largely inaccessable: without the GPS tracker the wreckage might never have been found, a nightmare scenario for family and friends. Perhaps one lesson that Ross left behind is that we should all consider using this technology for cross-country flights.

Peter

• Like 1

Guest Maj Millard

Turbo , This recent incident involved a Searey and Heons machine was a Petrel, similiar machines but also quite different in their own way. Both were pushers with high mounted engines generally in line with the top wings. Many earlier pusher type planes did suffer from rapid pitch up, or down, during power changes, however that problem now has generally been designed out.

The lake Bucceneers however with the engine mounted high on a pylon above the cabin, require full nose-up trim for take off, to counteract the tendency of the high engine to want to push the nose down..

As tragic as this and all incidents are, I also would welcome some report showing the cause for the education of the rest of us. In that area I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a birdstrike, but this is pure speculation on my part.....................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Ross Vining's Funeral next Tuesday in Adelaide - See Keith Clark's email below -

The Funeral for our great friend Ross Vining will be held in Adelaide at 11:00am on Tuesday 27th Nov. I do not yet have details of the location of the service but keep an eye on the funeral notices. Ross's wife Linda and son Ben have organised a get together after the service and it will be at a nearby yacht club where Ross had been training for next years Sydney Hobart race. We look forward to seeing those who can make it.

I'll keep you updated.

Keith Clark

Skype User ID

Ross's Funeral Details now published, see Keith's email below -

Ross's wife, Linda, has has called me to ask me to pass on the details of his funeral service.

The services will be held at The Cruising Yacht Club of South Australia which is at Lady Gowrie Drive, North Haven (about 20 minutes from the city). The services starts at 11:00am on Tuesday 27th.

The yacht club has a locked gate so to gain access you will need to press the button at the gate and ask for access to the funeral. The casket will be open for viewing from 10:00am.

Linda has made a special request which, if any of you could manage it, would be a great tribute to Ross. She has asked if it was possible for a few seaplanes to moor at the yacht club so that visitors to the service, not from the seaplane community, can see what was at the centre of Ross's great passion for seaplane flying. If you are not based too far from Adelaide and think you could moor your plane there, let me know and make contact with Mario, the club's event manager, on 08 8248 4222.

Keith Clark

After 370 hours experience flying the Super Petrel LS here in Australia, i think i some knowledge into the nuiances of seaplane flying. First up,it would be generally agreed that the skill level of flying any sort of seaplane is far greater than any other aircraft including multi engined. The fact that your aircraft becomes a hi speed boat on touchdown means that a new set of skills have to be learnt and practiced, apart from just remembering to "gear up on water".

However my point is, that after training 4 students on the super petrel for their waterhull endorsements, i have come to the conclusion that seaplanes arent for rank amatuers, in fact i will only take on students with at least 200 hours and good landing techniques. Moving on, I am dismayed as to the number incidents and accidents inlcuding the three deaths in recent months, which leads me to the conclusion that the level of training is far below that required. i regret now not bringing my students well above the minimum standard, however all are still alive, just.

The disturbing fact is that these guys were well experiennced, but in my opinion pushed the boundaries and perhaps complacency may have crept in.

Its not for the lack of skill, or the quality of aircraft the takes the pilots life, its how much he cuts his margins......

• Like 3

seaplanes arent for rank amatuers, in fact i will only take on students with at least 200 hours and good landing techniques...

Your point is duely noted, I found the cross wind sea breeze at Evans Head this morning challenging enough when I popped up above the trees, without having to deal with chop and water sucked on a hull as well. In a hundred and ninety hours I will give it some more thought.