Tech manager gone.

ayavner

RA-Aus Technical Manager 21/11/12

November 21, 2012 | opsassist

Mr Adam Finn is no longer the RA-Aus Technical Manager and has been replaced by Mr Dean Tompkins until another Technical Manager is recruited.

All technical enquiries should be forwarded to Mr Dean Tompkins at: [email protected] or 0428 868 418.

Steve Runciman

President RA-Aus

Mr Adam Finn is no longer the RA-Aus Technical Manager.....051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

This is not good... Adam used to do the spanner work on 24-5083 for me. He was a totally decent bloke and a good mechanic too.001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

What is going on in RaAus that they/we lose people like this?ah_oh.gif.cb6948bbe4a506008010cb63d6bb3c47.gif

Marcus

• Like 4

Mr Adam Finn is no longer the RA-Aus Technical Manager.....051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gifThis is not good... Adam used to do the spanner work on 24-5083 for me. He was a totally decent bloke and a good mechanic too.001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

What is going on in RaAus that they/we lose people like this?ah_oh.gif.cb6948bbe4a506008010cb63d6bb3c47.gif

Marcus

Marcus, this is only a comment on the position because I don't know what Adams qualifications are, but the Technical Manager's position would require at least a degree in Aeronautical Engineering to legally protect the Association. If the person was qualified as a mechanic and not as an Aeronautical Engineer, their decisions could well be challenged when things went wrong.

As I mentioned this is not reflection at all on Adam, just looking at the position and what the incumbent needs to assess.

"If the person was qualified as a mechanic and not as an Aeronautical Engineer". Think he was a mechanic..... possibly ex RAAF. How in hell could our powers that be let this

happen? This amateur sounding stuff in a world of professionals. Particularly the lawyers looking at us. Lawyers.....Not my favorites amongst the pond scum....068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif

Marcus

"If the person was qualified as a mechanic and not as an Aeronautical Engineer". Think he was a mechanic..... possibly ex RAAF. How in hell could our powers that be let thishappen? This amateur sounding stuff in a world of professionals. Particularly the lawyers looking at us. Lawyers.....Not my favorites amongst the pond scum....068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif

Marcus

Do you know the difference in the knowledge base of a LAME/AME/Aircraft Mechanic compared to an Aeronautical Engineer.I think you will find the Mechanic a lot more up todate on the regs as he needs to sign off/certify all his work on a day to day bases as opposed to an Aeronautical Engineer.Cheers

• Like 2

" he needs to sign off/certify all his work on a day to day bases as opposed to an Aeronautical Engineer...." Exactly. The log book of 24-5083 was decorated often with his signature.... How is it that our umbrella body can get this so wrong if it is as turbo planner suggests above. Oh Dear.086_gaah.gif.afc514336d60d84c9b8d73d18c3ca02d.gif

Marcus

Do you know the difference in the knowledge base of a LAME/AME/Aircraft Mechanic compared to an Aeronautical Engineer.I think you will find the Mechanic a lot more up todate on the regs as he needs to sign off/certify all his work on a day to day bases as opposed to an Aeronautical Engineer.Cheers

There's the small matter of a degree Thruster, that actually counts.

• Like 1

Why oh why do we still attach so much weght to the fact that 10, 15, 20 or maybe 25 years ago, somebody managed to get a degree ?

I'm a radio engineer and I've lost count of the number of idiotic university graduates I've encountered .....

• Like 3

"I'm a radio engineer and I've lost count of the number of idiotic university graduates I've encountered .." 009_happy.gif.56d1e13d4ca35a447ad034f1ecf7aa58.gif Agree, but if the "rules" put in place by those who claim to be able

to make them say he must have the appropriate bit of paper, THEN YOU DON'T ARGUE ABOUT IT IF HE DOES NOT. If it is political, then you might change "them", given time. But you are unwise to go head to head. I would hope that RAAus were not so silly so to do. Head to head on in effect with CASA? 063_coffee.gif.b574a6f834090bf3f27c51bb81b045cf.gif

Marcus

• Like 1

Why oh why do we still attach so much weght to the fact that 10, 15, 20 or maybe 25 years ago, somebody managed to get a degree ?I'm a radio engineer and I've lost count of the number of idiotic university graduates I've encountered .....

For exactly the same reason that police use radar cameras now instead of patrolling the roads.

Yeah, all about accountability I am thinking... that way the organisation can limit liability by demonstrating that they have hired the "most qualified" people for the job. Not that they always are, but its a threshold I guess. Same reason people in my profession (IT) are always chasing certifications for things we have been doing for years.... sad :(

There's the small matter of a degree Thruster, that actually counts.

Not in aviation, the LAME is at the top of the food chain for certifying aircraft to be airworthy and it takes longer/more experience to gain a license then a degree. The Aero E works behind a desk doing the designs Cheers

• Like 2

T

"Lawyers.....Not my favorites amongst the pond scum....068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif

Marcus

Thanks, Marcus

Please think before you post such derogatory comments here. Amongst our 13000 plus membership there are probably a few lawyers who have actually attempted to make useful contributions to discussions. I hope I have been one of them.

Kaz

• Like 10

You have been Kaz, and it is derogatory to the lawyers who have saved people's freedoms, careers, livelihoods, and property.

However, you do have an Industry problem when it takes $750,000.00 to make a decision on a divorce settlement.

And the legal industry, while handling some of the most delicate subtleties of reason has been absolutely hopeless at explaining the reasons and needs for most of the laws we have today.

And I mean plain bloody screamingly hopeless.

• Like 4

Guest Andys@coffs

Turbo

I think your off track. These days the majority of law comes from the various parliaments. Like all things that come from parliament it's likely to be a compromise or in language we are more likely to understand what was potentially good got turned into Bullsh!t as it was modified/corrupted to meet the needs to allow passage.

The reason for that statement? It's not up to lawyers to explain why we have the legislation we have, I believe it's the pollies that need to provide that explanation. Perhaps the point of confusion is that so many of the pollies come from a law background

Andy