The Diary of Jack Flyer

flyerme

CHAPTER 9 a flying Koala

DEC 18 1982

Old Charlie arrived today with his new bird,It really looks no different to his single seater except for the added addition of a second seat.The side by side seating is a good configuration though.Couldn't wait to show him my new weapon of choice,but I politely accommodated Charlie as he showed of his new toys which included some very flash cameras and mounts etc..finally it was time for my reveal! I opened up the hanger and there she was,my beautiful Koala! I pulled out into the light for Charlie to gaze upon,"She's a beauty Jackie boy" He said as he ran his hand over her smooth silky skin.He admired her curves and was impressed with the craftmanship.After a lengthy examination He said"Ill test her if you like?" I smiled and replied" Ill be right mate you can take her up after me".

That night was spent going over my beast ,callculating C of G ,AOA etc and a thorough genaral going over. Charlie insisted on mounting a camera to record the test flights for the docco.

weather man prodicts calm clear conditions for tomorrow morning so looking forward to getting her airborne.

DEC 19 1982

Was up early per ussual and engaged in another series of preflight checks etc.

The moon was bright and the sun not yet up but I was eager to get her flying.I fired up the rotax and warmed her belly for enevertable take off.I taxied out and began with some high speed taxi runs.As light appeared I prepared for a low fly in ground effect to confirm flight controls.This went well and the plane tracked true with delightful control sensitivity.

I confirmed my intention to fly with a thumbs up to Charlie and lined her up the runway as far back as possible.A feeling of fear suddenly overcome me as I contiplated what could happen if things went wrong?My hand began to shake and beads of sweat rolled down my forehead.I wondered should I take up Charlies offer of test flying? I wiped my brow and mustered up every ounce of courage I had and with out further hesitation I opened the throttle .The tail rose and with a quick glance at the ASI I gently pulled back the stick.She began a climb which I adjusted to give a 45 knt climb out which felt like I was climbing verticle I levelled her at 3ooft and set a cruise of 50 knts.I was needing to hold slight back pressure and a little right stick threwout the compass.After a couple of circuits I lined her up for her first landing,I set 3500rpm at 45kts.about halfway into the approach I realized a vital error in that I had yet to make a descicsion on a wheeler landing or a 3 pointer? I quickly commited to a 3 pointer feeling the slower speed would be wiser for first attempt.I killed power as I flew over the fence and rounded nicely with the float seeming to never end and finally she touched down so very gently.I was so over joyed with a feeling of accomplishment and was heard by neighbouring properties annoucing the fact.

After making some small adjustment an namely the addition of trimming tabs and some re torqueings I was back out for my second test. THis flight proved fantastic as the trim tabs worked to give a hands free cruise(so to speak) .I went threw a series of maneuvers but after some 45 mins the sun was already producing some air disturbance which I felt uncomfortable ..A second landing was made with another gracefull touchdown.

I informed Charlie of the conditions and he replied "Shell be right Jackie boy" as he climbed in the cockpit.I noted he had a small notebook and pen in his hand which I found odd but didn't say anything.. I figured Charlie would do some taxi runs but he didn't he just opened her up and threw her in the air without hesitaion.I watched him do a series of questionable maneuvers before climbing to an unknown hight of guessing around 1500ft and then I heard a sound that made me freeze in shock. in was not so much the sound but the lack of.I clearly heard the engine die and and my heart sank.my eyes buldgeing as I watched charlie make No effort to dive? After a few seconds I observed the plane seem to sit still and before I realised in was loosing hight rapidly.Then to my amazement the engine fired up and the nose was pushed forward and a recovery was made to my emediate relief...Old Charlie then made an approach which I thought to be fast but he then wheeled her on and performed a touch,n,go. I was still realing from the engine cut and wasn't sure why he kept flying? He then made several high speed low passes followed by some steep climbing turns etc...After nearly an hrs flight charlie made a text book 3 pointer and climbed out with a smile."You got a nice plane there Jackie Boy"."What the hell happened mate?" I screamed ."what cha mean? . I calculated some figures for you while I was up there" and he handed me his note book.

STALL POWER OFF = 26kts

Stall POWER ON = 19 kts

Cruise = 50 kts @5400rpm and so on.. "Ya gave me a bloody heart attack ya old bugger, I thought the engine quit!!!"..After I recovered form shock and several cuppas later Charlie suggested He take me up in his quicksilver. I was keen to see how these things fly and given the 30 deg temp It would be a test (for me anyway).

I felt very exsposed sitting in this contraption but felt reassured by Charlie and I trusted his skills.We taxied out and lined her up, "ya right boy" said Charlie as he opened the throttle. I couldn't believe the thrust and within a few meters we were airborne.WE instantly encountered bad turbulence which threw us all over the place I found myself hanging on to the frame but old Charlie just admired the view and went in to his ussual commentating..At times I really thought the wings were going to be torn off but still Charlie did not flinch.We headed over Coldstream and I hoped his engine was reliable..We bounced and rolled this way and that And I felt somewhat content in that Charlie had the controls untill he insisted I have ago.It felt awkward with my left hand on the stick but I was surprised at how responsive she was..After flying around for an hour charlie dropped her in nicely, the thing seems to land backwards it was that slow.I now understand his love affair with the quicksilver but still perfer my conventional looking plane.

Later this arvo We both flew our birds out to the base of the ranges and back doing some filming.My Koala really is a joy to fly and I can,t wait for our adventures to really start.

We will start going over details for our next flight for the docco.

• Like 3

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks flyerjack - er - flyerme!! great read!!!FLYERJACK augie.gif.8d680d8e3ee1cb0d5cda5fa6ccce3b35.gif anyone else think this would make a pretty cool movie?

As it stands this is the short version of my UN PUBLISHED book (The Diary of Jack Flyer) and I am looking for a publisher . Also my Pa suggested it would make a great movie:wink:

Got me enthusiastic ,I may have to think seriously about film? I agree also would make an exciting film in the aviation catorgry I think some outsiders would really get in to it.I have had nothing but positive reviews remembering you guys are reading the shorter version (as its unpublished I chose to give you a detailed preview )

anyway thankyou for reading and enjoying, will post the next chapter soon.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

We have made some documentaries ( the Natfly and Great Eastern Flyin DVDs) and have the gear to produce a movie, but to do something like this would be a major effort. To set up the flying scenes, the Jack flyer person, and the Charlie character would take a lot of work and a fair bit of cash.

Casting:

Jack Flyer:

Charlie:

Jack's wife:

ideas??

i think it would be great if the outfit that did Red Dog did something like this... that story had a really broad appeal, even if you aren't into dogs or mining or that. Just a nice little slice of life picture with great characters.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Casting:Jack Flyer: Hugh Jackman

Charlie: Russel Crowe

Jack's wife: Nicole Kidman

ideas??

i think it would be great if the outfit that did Red Dog did something like this... that story had a really broad appeal, even if you aren't into dogs or mining or that. Just a nice little slice of life picture with great characters.

060_popcorn.gif.cda9a479d23ee038be1a27e83eb99342.gif

• Like 1

That, or filmed as a "tape found in the attic" mockumentry, grainy shakey hand held 8mm footage...

Daza.

• Like 2

How about getting to old crew of Mad Max back, they were all out there...

Jack Flyer: Mel Gibson

Charlie: Bruce Spence ...the crazy flyer

Jack's Wife: Rebecca Gibney

What do you think? FME

It could be a real Aussie classic 026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

• Like 2

Enjoyed "RED DOG". Great read flyerme. you better gather up some of those planes and get them flyable You will need people who can fly them too and pour some elixir of youth on them to make them look human. Nev

• Like 1

That, or filmed as a "tape found in the attic" mockumentry, grainy shakey hand held 8mm footage...Daza.

Thats a good idea. Check out "The Troll Hunter". That was made in the same vein,but with CGI graphics, which would have put up the cost a bit, but perhaps not as much as you might think. It is also a very cool movie.

dodo

Does that make you happy? Due to some one emailing me off the forum several times about my storey concerning Copyrights being handed over to Ian I edited a disclaimer into each chapter,However I already new where I stand!!!!!! Ian can repost my storey where ever he likes as can anyone else.However there can be NO gain from doing this as this breaks the copyright laws.I own all rights to the storey and only I may gain profit. NOW STOP EMAILING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S Sorry unknown but I will continue to post each preview chapter on here!!!!!(when I get the chance...lol) thanks for your concern/lecture

Chrissakes, there's always someone isn't there FM?? sometimes i wonder if there is any joy left in life... well, there is when I get to read a new chapter of Jack Flyer, and imagine it for myself while I am stuck at my desk, so post away FM and I promise I won't try to steal your words!!

008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

• Like 1

Yes there is always one in the crowd isn't there !!!!! I am just enjoying the story and I hope that one day FM YOU make a lot of money out of your story, whether it is a book or movie...I for one will go and see it or read it..well done mate 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

• Like 3

Chapter 10 WHATS THAT SMELL?

Jan 13 1983

We have every thing organised for our first X-country filming for our Docco.Charlie in his Quicksilver,Me in my Koala and Tommy in his new trike. We plan to head from Coldstream north to Benalla some 80NM away for our first leg.

Feeling very Anxious and excited.Weather predicts light southerly winds with clear skies.

A number of recent acidents has Dorris spooked but I've reassured her Safety is paramount.

JAN 14 1983

The morning was beautifull with clear skies and was rather cool.We managed to take off at 7 am and found the ground passing by quite fast with a pleasant tail wind pushing us along.With camera' s rolling (which we all had several of) we headed north along the Melba hwy and soon began flying over our first obstacle.We now had to pick our way across some heavy wooded tiger country as we turned east to pick up the hume hwy and fly the Gap to avoid the ranges.We were cruising at 50 knts at around 300ft AGL and old Charlie was giving us the usual guided tour.We flew over Kinglake then across to Strathewen where Charlie informed us we would fly to the yen yen reservoir for some low level flying.The country bellow looked exstreamly un forgiving and I wondered what I would do if an emergency should rear it ugly face.We arrived over the yen yen reservoir and Charlie immediately pulled into a steep dive."Make sure you get this boys"Charlie demanded So Tommy and I followed suit .almost side by side we watched Charlie skim the water.Tommy and I pulled into a position 100 meters behind charlie aand we too skimmed the lake surface.The air as remarkably smooth out on the lake and words could not describe the feelings flying just above the waters surface ,,admiring the reeds splender hight towering off the wing tip ,The shadow racing across the glass like surface.You could really throw the plane around out there and My Koala was the ultimate performer.After around 15-20 mins of this I had become quite confident and was flying full throttle (65kts) and skimming the surface with just inches to spare. At one point I became too relaxed and dropped the wheels onto the surface!!!!!!!! I felt the plane slow slightly but feel very buoyant and controlled , I could see 2 rooster tails out the side window shoot up at some hight before I was airborne again with water dripping from my wheels.My blood than ran cold and fear then entered my body as I realised what happened..I radioed "did you guys get that?But know one had seen as they were to busy enjoying there own movements.I continued skimming the lake and thinking about the occurrence and how buoyant she felt on the surface.I decided Id try this again ( for filming purposes of coarse).I had Charlie and tommy Film me as I attempted to drop the wheels to the surface, and Once again the wheels hit the surface with very little resistance,I rode the top surface like it was a runway then pulled into a high G pull up at the end. After I performed my new trick a few more times Charlie announced it was time to continue before we had no fuel left..We headed nrth along the hume with our tailwind again and not soon after It become apparent my bowels would not make it to Benalla.I radioed my predicament and With a sigh from Charlie it was decided to find the first suitable spot to put down.We found a small dirt rd suitable for landing and one after another all put down safely.I was just finishing doing mu business when a car appeared in the distance speeding our way.damn! I hurriedly finished up in a desperate effort to not get caught with my pants down when the car pulled along side me."you guys allright" It was a farmer whome seen us land here and was offering help.After I quick yak we were soon airborne again and continuing our trip.Not far passed wittlesea I started to notice a fowl smell emanating from my cockpit? At first I wondered if it was in the air but the smell didn't dissapate! I started searching for the offending odor and discovered what I thought was a nasty Dog turd stuck to my right boot.Just my luck,middle of nowhere.long stretch of rd and I stand in a fresh dog turd!After already requiring an unplanned landing I felt I should not ask to land again and would have to put up with the smell untill benalla.As we continued I couldnt help wonder why there was a dog way out there? Then it occurred to me! In my hurry to pull up my dacks I had stepped in my own turd! You idiot..The rest of the flight is a blur as I struggled to fly with my nose tucked firmly in my jumper as I gasped for air.I even contemplated throwing my shoe out the plane at one stage .We all arrived at Benalla where a clean up was the first ajender.

P.S I didn,t tell the guys about the hitchhiker stuck to my right boot.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...