The Diary of Jack Flyer

flyerme

I do not have any footage on the Eagle. It belongs to Arnold Cohen. He did have a promo video made for it. It flew quite well. It wasn't out to kill you. If you were going to die in it (or any other) it was a pretty good chance the pilot was to blame, like not checking for water in the floats before taxing out. Made for an interesting flight, you can stall a canard if you push the AoA high enough. water in the backend of the floats help. The strings connected to the canard elevator definatly helps raise the nose after the water moved forward. Push ups on the handle bar and full power did the rest.But other than that little fright it was a good performer. I was never a big fan of the American breed of ultralight. They came across as a little light in the robustness area. That was because they did have to demonstrate a foot launch capability back then. So a lot more thin wall beer can material used. Also the unsupported trailing edge of the sail was another shortcoming when they started adding weight and the sail degraded a bit with time. Most of our Minimums followed the more typical Australian approach and were built like a brick outhouse. That said the Lazair is posssibly one of the lightest ultralights on the RAAus register at 73kg empty. Nothing has fallen off over the years and it has had some hard flying. Why do i keep flying it still after all these years? Because it represents what i always wanted, Affordable Flying. Better define "It". Some think it is sitting staring out the window for 98% of the time. 3hrs of filling out flight plans for 1 hours trip sucking upwards of several hundred dollars an hour for letting the autopilot have all the full.

Take my old dinosaur, can also do an hours trip with out the three hours of foreplay , might have to do three, four or more of those hour trips to go as far as Parrot but in reality it will probably be even longer from stopping off to play in thermals and 'cloud ally'. I'm not in any hurry once i'm there. only burns 4 lts an hour full power, and ya get to 'synch the props'. An ageless design that could have been built yesterday. Still makes other ultralight owners envious at Airshows by pulling the bigger crowd. ("nah sorry mate sold the last kit thirty years ago"went over well at Oshkosh ) cost $4000 1982 dollars for the kit. Thirty odd years ,2 airframe rebuilds , 6 engines, two props and a lot of frigging 3M sticky tape later, i would say that has be Affordable Flying. But then having to now factor in the RAAus BS and we find ourselves with hand in pocket again.

Arnold parents lived right on Port Hacking River and the Eagle was fun addition to all the other water sports toys they had. Then PolAir turned up and bellowed "pull over pilot!" And it was whinge bloody whinge for the next half hour. yeah right a 747, is going come right down the river at 100 ft.

Riley, shame you missed flying a Lazair in Canada. Was that a the factory.

Would i like to own a real recreational aircraft , sure would. But just not yet. The 'industry' has a little more growing up to do.

DGL where we have come from and where we are now!!! Strewth we are back in the same bloody rutt as we were when we started in '75. Expensive, over regulated and driven by poor performance. If i could do one event back over in my life i would go back and shoot Markey the second he stepped into the SAAA meeting at Mangalore '83.

ozzie

Thanks Ozzie for a very interesting and informative review of how things were 3 decades back (were we really all that presumptuous and cavalier then?) My 'almost' Lazair encounter was during a visit to Canada on a farm paddock at failing last light (with a young shirt-tail relation that I previously didn't know even existed) that other rellies had decided 'oh, your interested in flying - Greg will take you up tomorrow after milking'. I gotta confess that I was relieved that weather intervened. The amount of uncontrolled water in the Eagle's floats really smacks me - I recall having to pump out the J3 Piper Cub's floats (and it with a powerful 65 hp Continental - not a chainsaw engine!) before every flight just to get off the water. Guess I've become a bit of a nancy in my advanced years. Tks again for the very interesting bit of 'minimum' history. (but, as much as they may need/deserve it, ya can't shoot people for past sins so Markey lives on and I still reckon yer mad!) cheers

• Like 1
  • Caution 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Flyerme, really enjoying the story, you've got a talent there. Best of luck with publishing, can't wait for the movie - or will it be a TV series??

Ewan McGregor playing Jack I reckon... he loves planes, his brother's in the RAF - they did that Spitfire special a few years ago. Plus he's not afraid of an adventure, given his "Long Way Round" motorbike journey!

Laughed myself silly at the "smelly hitch hiker" chapter. It's an unfortunate fact of life though that when you gotta go, you gotta go... this happened to me when hang gliding once, well fortunately on top of the hill before I launched. I watched where I put my feet though.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

CHAPTER 12 Operation candy snatch

Jan 28 1983

The last several days have been tuff,Charlie has been trying hard to get permission for us to fly out of swanhill.Apparently some locals complained about our ultralights flying in and we have been told we can not fly out untill permission is granted.Charlie blames Tommy for our predicament believing if Tommy had not perched himself on the wire we might not have the head ache we now find ourselves with.

Charlie called today to suggest we sneak in to swanhill during the night and fly out just on light as permission is proving difficult and times a wastin

Charlie called it "Operation candy snatch".

He's a funny bugger old Charlie and sometimes still lives in his old war days..

Not sure if there will be any security but im a little weary at this stage.

Ill try to get some sleep before we head out on our mission.

Jan 19 1983

Charlie ,Brian and I pulled up outside swanhill airfield at 3:30am this morning, there was a stiff breeze and the night was dark as we began our mission .creeping across the grounds with excitement and nerves Charlie whispered "boggie 11 o'clock,keep low boys".

His boggie was a light left on in the clubroom.!!!

We located our planes (or our target as Charlie put it) and got stuck into refuelling,untying,preflight checks etc....At one stage a car drove past the airfield and we hit the deck at Charlie's command.watching it drive off into the distance we began to chuckle at our military style operation..

By 4:30am we were all ready to go but the wind had picked up and was blowing s/e at 14knts,We could also make out the overcast sky.

Brian had now left us and we were both strapped in and waiting for first light which was only 15 minutes away.

At approximately 4:40am we noted a vehicle enter the airfield,and pull up at the club rooms , 3 persons then entered the buildings and lights were turned on illuminating the majority of the parking area,I radioed Charlie what he wanted to do?"How ya feelin Jackie boy? wanna do this now?"It was still to dark to make out my gauges but Charlie felt it was now or never.

Almost simultaneously we started our birds and began rolling as our engines warmed up along the taxi way.I kept one eye on the clubrooms and noticed some commotion And radioed Charlie.Within seconds We could see the vehicles headlights go on and point in our direction."Shit!!! Now Jacki ,, now, Lets go now!!! follow me boy were gong for it."

We were still on the Taxi way when Charlie decided we should go for it.

I watched him gun it and take off from the taxiway And I was slightly shocked by this ,I was still moving slow When the vehicle regained my attention as it was speeding toward me from the front to block the runway and taxiway end. I approached he vehicle and could see 3 guys waiving franticly at me . I tried to turn around the vehicle but one guy grabbed my wing tip making me swing violently toward there vehicle.I open my door yelling " WTF you could have killed me "

after a short exchange of words I agreed to taxi back to the parking area, I started to make a 180 as they moved along side me in their van and with a burst of power I whipped my little tail dragger back around and pointed her roughly down the strip and opened her up ,"adios amigos" I yelled as I yanked her back and leapt into the air. The wind was strong and I instantly engaged into battle for some sort of controlled flight. Once I gained some hight my instruments became readable in the dim light and to my surprise I was still climbing with ASI at 35kts and already at hight of 900ft.I radioed Charlie as I descended and we were soon reunited and heading for Sea lake.Charlie Radioed we were only moving at 20+ kts over the ground .With my box fuselarge I was flying with a yaw angle of at least 30 degrees and this felt unusual and uncomfortable for me ,also the turbulence was making it worse.

As the light appeared our ground speed became very noticeable as we found our selves in almost a hover apart from being thrown around a bit.

After what felt like hours we arrived over the sea lake which was a large salt flat.Charlie flew down low to locate Brian on the ground and was soon radioing were to land.I watched Charlie in what looked like a hover landing and I was soon on approach.As I dropped to 100 ft the turbulence began really throwing me around.I fought for control as I approached slowly into the wind.I came down with little forward speed yet I was holding 3/4 throttle at 50kts ASI.I lowered her down and was relieved when ground effect smoothed out the ride.A gentle touch down was achieved with very little to no roll out,Almost helicopter like. Now the real battle began As we attempted to tie our babies down whilst the wind had other ideas.After some struggling we were tied down amongst the trees and had set up camp for the night.We hid out for the day here at sea lake and will fly out again tomorrow if the weather permits.

Was great to here Old Charlie had the presents of mind to film the mission as I had not even given it a thought.

ahh What a day!!!

must be beer o' clock by now?

• Like 3

Hope that this works. My Pteradactyl at Holbrook about 1988 (me in the helmet!).

Good one Meths. The WA U/L Flyers Club 'gifted' a Pterradactyl to a young RAA pilot certificate holder a year or so back to assist him in his desire to gain aviation experience/logbook time. Haven't had any feedback as to how/where he went with it but they (the terror-dacks-full) are still amongst us! cheers

• 2 weeks later...

CHAPTER 12" ARE WE IN CLOUD?"

JAN 20 1983

Bloody weather!!! was raining here all morning so we had to wait it out,and by the time the weather had settled the salt flat was to wet for take off. on a brighter note we received a visiter which was a surprise all the way out here.Tommy presented himself very sheepishly at first as he approached Charlie with an envelope.Tommy said "Here Charlie this is for you mate no hard feelings hey?"Charlie opened the envelope,in it was 2 cheques ( $1000 ech 1 for Charlie and 1 for me) and a new paper clipping. Tommy ordered him to read it out loud.It was the front page out of a local paper and read "High Flying trio hit a hurdle" 3 ultralight pilots and their small aircraft where filming a documentary when one of the tiny aircraft collided with a powerline some 200meters in the air and became suspended.Local emergency crews were quick to scramble along the single strand wire and assist the pilot to safety.The Pilot (Tommy-WINGS-Jones) was uninjured and appeared in good spirits as he watched his motorized hang glider being cut down and dropped to earth in a mangled heap. The trio are filming a documentary on ultralight flying in australia full storey page 3.

The news paid for the full storey and negotiated that they show the film however Tommy will remain owner of the rights enabling him to use it in the docco.

With a shake of the hand all was well again.Charlie admired his cheque for the next hour or more...

We have agreed for Tommy to rejoin us at the next stop as he will pick up his new trike tomorrow.

JAN 21 1983

Was a cool clear still morning with a little fog about the salt flat and by 7am we were ready for our next leg.With cameras rolling and a quick solute to Brian and Tommy Charlie was off.I waited for the wake to clear and I to gave a solute and opened her up. I had only climbed to around 50-100ft when suddenly my windscreens turned white?I had a total white out and began to panic.I radioed Charlie that I was in cloud and he radioed back Sty calm and keep climbing.He said He had not encounted any cloud? and he could not see any? I was really staring to panic now as I was flying totally blind,I watched my alt climb to 600ft with out breaking threw and now began really freaking out as all the stories I had read told me I was gonna die? I found myself (as an Atheist) praying to god to spare my life. Charlie radioed he had a clear visual on me and I WAS NOT IN CLOUD? WTF. whats going on I screamed down the mic?Charlie radioed "level her up,bank right bank right. hold it their mate Ill pull along side you" Charlie then radioed your fogged over mate open ya door" I opened my door and the wind instantly ripped it out of my hand and it stuck to the wing with the pressure.A bit of relief came as the windows instantly became clear but I was now fighting turbulence caused from the door being opened.I tried to reach out to the door but was far from reaching the handle so I unbuckled my harness and tried again.No good ,I was now faced with standing on the seat and hanging out to reach it or conduct an emergency landing? I decided Id have a go standing on the seat.I leaned out and the plane entered a bank as I grabbed the handle and pulled with all my strength to close it.After a brief struggle I had it closed .I now became sick from fear and very nervous wondering if the screens will fog over again?

We continued flying toward Ouyen and we were encountering small light patches of fog lifting and a couple of times they whisped past us.Charlie assured me all was well and if im worried just fly above them.

I was starting to relax again when I noted a patch of thickish fog in front of me.I instantly gave her some power and started to climb above it when I herd an abrupt radio call from Charlie yelling "descend ,descend, you fool its a cloud!!" I immediately dropped to idle and nosed her over in a sharp dive.

I noticed it get cold and frost appeared from my short sharp breaths.My attention was now drawn out the side windows as moisture poured from the trailing edge of wings.I watched wisps of cloud float by as I descended beneath them and then the turbulence started..I was being pounded left,right and centre and wished I was on the ground...Shortly after Charlie radioed we will land in the paddock below us and He was soon down giving me the OK to follow suit.I was soon back on terra firma with much relief and then had to sit threw a lecture from Charlie about cloud flying.hmm you did say if worried fly above it!!!!...

We set up camp again and met Brian.Tommy will be out tomorrow with his new bird.

A re-view of the footage showed my windscreen fog over from the bottom up, front first then side windows.We have cut some vent holes to equallibriate the air temperature in hope that I don't fog over again and also I am able to see threw the holes in case it does.

the weather should be better tomorrow but we will have to wait for Tommy before we leave,,,.

Sure is cold out here tonight, sometimes I really wonder what the hell am I doing out here.

• Like 2

The last couple chapters are short.This is because large amounts have been removed as it wont make sence with out the full previous chapters,reserved for the book.

The book has a slight twist in it and I chose not to give it away in the pre-view chapters and real intro.

Thanks guys enjoy

• Like 2
  • Caution 1

Fantastic stuff

Really hope some one picks up the movie rights, it has all the makings of a winner in the true Australian style.

Maybe the mob who made Kenny or as previously suggested the producers of Red Dog

All the best for the future of your story, looking forward to the book

Cheers

H

Agree with others here - fantastic. Are you planning on publishing as e-book as well?

Been talking about this very thing,ie: e-book. it was discussed I should do a self published E-book to cut out the middle man but I would still like to see it in a real book form.. your opinions please!

Be careful of what is called "vanity publishing".

You don't want someone who is happy to be paid to publish you, you want someone who is carefully thinking whether they are prepared to pay to publish your book.

Getting a good editor would be a big plus; a good editor will ask you what you meant in this part,why that bit is so hard to read, etc. and get to to rethink or re-write parts.

So if you are going to publish, get someone who will push you to make it the best story you can write.

After all that, I would like to read the published book - just make it the best that you can!

dodo

• Like 1
  • Agree 1