The Diary of Jack Flyer

flyerme

I will NOT post links or anything like that and always planned on following appropriate channels threw Ian if he is keen.

I believe I already owe him a free signed copy, for all the free advertising ( so to speak).

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have a photo of the wing underside? Curious, can't remember a single surface wing being built.

No wuggers Oz, All the t- 83 were originally image.jpg.f193d1372903fa54aec3f0e00c7b05a5.jpg single surfaced( only have top wing batons none undernieth.

No wuggers Oz, All the t- 83 were originally [ATTACH=full]33768[/ATTACH] single surfaced( only have top wing batons none undernieth.

Oh but had the patented collaspible main wing frames. Just No underside batons :)

Pretty sure they had a full under surface but as you said no lower battons. If it had no under surface the compression and drag brace tubes would be visible. The Stolaero was single surface and then the Condor had a 25% under surface cruised a little faster and the Thruster went full under surface. check the image here this is the original prototype it had a lighter sail material so it is a little more transparent.

520817882_thrusterprototype.jpg.5bf1083cd946e5aceac0c3fac64cb434.jpg

Yeh I always found it curious as to why they called them single surface but was told they called it that because it had no lower batons and the lower surface pushes up to the top making the wingframe visible in flight. But you would know more than I Oz

Yeh I always found it curious as to why they called them single surface but was told they called it that because it had no lower batons and the lower surface pushes up to the top making the wingframe visible in flight. But you would know more than I Oz

I'm pleased that got sorted Tim as I was reluctant to lock horns with a famous author but, like Ozzie, I'd never heard mention of or laid eyes on a single-skin-winged T-83/85 of any persuasion over the years. By the way, congratulations on the imminent launch of your book. Wishing you every success. cheers Riley

• Like 1

It was only to separate the two types of wing skins. If one had to reskin then it would be beneficial to put a set of batons in. It should have been done when they were recalled to have the wing struts and other bits and pieces upgraded. And i've forgotten more than i remember of them.

I was actually hesitant to say none had ever been built as nearly all the Thrusters where different in little ways when they were first built. They have over time been upgraded to the same standard.

Yeh it had the recalled strutt mounts done but still sported the original skins. I planed on refitting top and bottom Baton skins with the help from Tony Tiffin but after a betsometer test on original wing skins decided to keep her as original as possible. I also found out ( not verified) that mine had the first factory retro fit doors and cabin back.?

T83- 49 were made. In small batches , all a little different. Mine could never be determined having serial removed long ago, best guess was from an early batch? Note no jury struts.

Bring back memories?image.jpg.6093450fa4d4af5f7e88e019f8a16ff5.jpg

Guest Maj Millard

Tim, Oz, Dex Burkill has an early glasshouse Thruster up there at Denman...I think from memory it's a similar wing to yours with no lower batons .....but may have been later modified or upgraded..Dex.....?

I will NOT post links or anything like that and always planned on following appropriate channels threw Ian if he is keen.I believe I already owe him a free signed copy, for all the free advertising ( so to speak).

Very keen Mate, anything I can do to help

• Winner 1

I think those door/fairing whee lpants etc were all done after Thruster was sold to the blacksmiths out in the western suburbs of Sydney all the original staff where long gone by then. Some mods may have come back from Thruster UK. The Robin was a brilliant engine a little heavy but damn near bullet proof.I never had a mechanical failure on any Robin. When we swapped to the Rotax , i think the first ones were the 337 that came without a gearbox and we converted them to free air and used the Robin belt redrive, i had a power failure on each one i flew. nip ups and broken cranks mainly. A few problems with the first gearboxes as well. I hated them and wanted to go back. Then the bigger Rotax 503 turned up and that was a mongrel as well. Built too light and too highly tuned they had to be run in exactly according to the schedule.

I think those door/fairing whee lpants etc were all done after Thruster was sold to the blacksmiths out in the western suburbs of Sydney all the original staff where long gone by then. Some mods may have come back from Thruster UK. The Robin was a brilliant engine a little heavy but damn near bullet proof.I never had a mechanical failure on any Robin. When we swapped to the Rotax , i think the first ones were the 337 that came without a gearbox and we converted them to free air and used the Robin belt redrive, i had a power failure on each one i flew. nip ups and broken cranks mainly. A few problems with the first gearboxes as well. I hated them and wanted to go back. Then the bigger Rotax 503 turned up and that was a mongrel as well. Built too light and too highly tuned they had to be run in exactly according to the schedule.

I fitted the spats, as to the robin.. Agree 100%. Best little eng of all time.. The original robin had done 400+hrs but during inspection noticed a slight head gasket weep. She never skipped a beat though. I then was lucky enough to get a present from my old CFI a 17hr replacement( looked brand new) and again never missed a beat .

I still think Fuji Robin blew it big time by not getting into the UL scene.

Found a 250cc single that had sat neglected for over 20 years and just added fuel and gave the prop a couple swings and away it went. Still running no probs 10 hours later.

Guest Maj Millard

Finally got done with editing Tims great book this morning....Australia day..how appropriate!!

He has a great printing quote for the first 100 copies, so he's hoping he can be at Avalon in the RAA booth with some copies and a nice launch for the book.

Great story...great read...grab a copy while you can........Well done Jack Flyer !!!.....

Huge , big, gigantic thanks to my official book editor, proofer, manager, head of merchandise , reviewer, and friend. Major Ross Millard. Alb.C1. ;)

True heart of gold mate

Oh now 200 copies. Going like crazy to get the book and myself to Avalon. 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

• Haha 1

Guest Maj Millard
Huge , big, gigantic thanks to my official book editor, proofer, manager, head of merchandise , reviewer, and friend. Major Ross Millard. Alb.C1. ;)True heart of gold mate

Oh now 200 copies. Going like crazy to get the book and myself to Avalon. 002_wave.gif.62d5c7a07e46b2ae47f4cd2e61a0c301.gif

Do it mate... 95% there already.......