For the Drifter fans...

boingk

Well there you go, whether you are a model aircraft enthusiast or not, I believe that every Drifter owner should have one of these hanging from the ceiling in their lounge, or, if you are married, hanging from the ceiling in your shed. It would have to be painted in the same livery as your full size 'model' and be able to be strapped to the roof rack of your car so that you can do the normal boasting.

Regretably I no longer have the Drifter from years back but if I did I would certainly buy this model.012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Alan.

• Like 1

If only it was 4 times the size... I reckon at 2 meters it would make a better park flyer.

I disagree there, I have had quite a few models, something around a metre I find a good size. Still small enough to fit in the boot, and big enough to fly nice.

I don't find car space an issue with anything up to about 1600mm wingspan. Favourite at the moment is a VQ Models 1500 Stick on .46 glow power. Wing comes off easily and then just put the fuse and wing across the back seat.

Stick 1500 EP/GP 46 size (Sport version) 1540mm (ARF) (AR Warehouse)

Biggest model I've got is permanently housed at the field - its a 2.5m wingspan glider with a *one piece* wing!

Cheers - boingk

EDIT: I'm uncomfortable flying anything over about a meter in public spaces anyway, as you don't get liability cover should something happen. I always try and fly out at the model club, although its convenient for me here in Goulburn as its literally 5min down the road on the Yass turnoff. Even got a standing NOTAM for any lowflying aircraft. Obviously anything nitro powered ONLY gets fired up at the club... apart from my little Cox .049's which don't make much more noise in the air than a decent, small electric plane anyway.

• Like 1

I have been toying with the idea of joining the local Model Aero Club. If things aren't looking up at Ra-Aus by February when my membership is due I will definitely give the money to MAAQ rather than Ra-Aus...

I have flown a fair bit of R/C over the years out west... I will be very cautious. The DG is very, very light... which can be a BIG disadvantage with a RC Sailplane... We have wide beaches up here.

I still have my old nitro power pack (panel, starter etc) so I am in a quandary... Do I get a nice ARF Stik as you describe... just about the best fun machine and perfect for refreshing the skills or do I go electric... they seem to have truly reached parity or perhaps electric is ahead now!!??

Note: I agree with boingk. You have to draw a line at flying some models at the park. I would be very reluctant to fly a nitro or large electric anywhere but at a dedicated field.

I have been toying with the idea of joining the local Model Aero Club. If things aren't looking up at Ra-Aus by February when my membership is due I will definitely give the money to MAAQ rather than Ra-Aus...I have flown a fair bit of R/C over the years out west... I will be very cautious. The DG is very, very light... which can be a BIG disadvantage with a RC Sailplane... We have wide beaches up here.

I still have my old nitro power pack (panel, starter etc) so I am in a quandary... Do I get a nice ARF Stik as you describe... just about the best fun machine and perfect for refreshing the skills or do I go electric... they seem to have truly reached parity or perhaps electric is ahead now!!??

Note: I agree with boingk. You have to draw a line at flying some models at the park. I would be very reluctant to fly a nitro or large electric anywhere but at a dedicated field.

I love electric, low noise, no mess, just charge up a few batteries and head out for an hour or so. I use a cricket field in a nearby town, that has nothing within 400M. I've never seen anyone there, when I'm there. My favourite is a foamy electric ducted fan T-45, cheap as you can get, complete with 2.4 ghz radio and battery for around $150. It flies really well, you can go really slow or get it up to 120kph. I even put FPV on one of them.
  • Like 1